CrazyBoards.org
aura

have I ever been manic? reconsidering

Posted (edited)

I wonder whether or not I really have ever been full blown manic before. I have been hospitalized twice for "mania," but I think I might have just been hypomanic those times. I was still sleeping 5-6 hours per night at least and had some insight into my condition.

What really tipped the diagnosis over to mania was the presence of hallucinations and delusions. But I have since been re-diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and have experienced psychosis totally outside the presence of a mood episode. 

For those of you who have experienced both mania and hypomania, what is the difference, not including psychosis? Is it possible to have bipolar II and schizoaffective?

Edited by aura

Yes it is called schizoaffective, bipolar type. It is a real diagnosis. Several have it on this board.

4 hours ago, notloki said:

Yes it is called schizoaffective, bipolar type. It is a real diagnosis. Several have it on this board.

Yes, I definitely do have SZA. My question is whether "bipolar type" necessarily means bipolar 1 or could I have bipolar 2.

Either I think- it includes symptoms of either type, distinguishing from depressive type, so hypomania probably is enough 

My doctor says it's possible to have psychosis with hypomania. I wonder if that's what happened to me in the past?

• Confused 1

I’ve been thinking about this since you posted it, Aura. Have you considered/do you have time to reread your blog? I’ve known you for years, and by following your blog I’ve learned a lot about your red flags. You write very clearly and in detail about the symptoms you’re experiencing. I think it would be illuminating to examine the details of your episodes.

Hey girl!! 

I have experienced both. I get in much less trouble with hypo mania.  I am slightly self aware. I can see what’s going on. I know I am even though I will deny it to anyone. I sleep about 6 hours a night.   Sorta wonder if I am manic and not hypo. I have had minor delusions while hypo. 

My original DX was BP 2.  For a long time.   Then I had a full blown manic episode. Actually a few.  I have moved on to BP 1

I am not gonna go into the symptoms present in both. But the difference only.

I was unaware there was anything wrong.  All my decisions were very rational in my mind.  My behaviors cause major issues for myself and others. Very little sleep, food. No self awareness.   Also took a long time and lots of meds to comeback down.    Hypo runs its course for me .

in the end though I let my pdoc make the DX and tell me which is which. I was blown away when he told me I had a full blown manic episode.   I really just thought I was hypo. 

Hope that helped.