CrazyBoards.org

I'm feeling worse with the deplin and feel increased anxiety and feel panicky. I feel obsessive with my thoughts and fears again. I called the psychiatrists office and left a message with the secretary. I feel awful. Even the Klonopin isn't helping. I really think she needs to prescribe a real medicine that can actually do something.

Also, yes the cheek swab test was right on some of the medications in the red column (as far as side effects). Prozac was in the red column. It helped for 7 months and then pooped out on me.

2 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

I'm feeling worse with the deplin and feel increased anxiety and feel panicky. I feel obsessive with my thoughts and fears again. I called the psychiatrists office and left a message with the secretary. I feel awful. Even the Klonopin isn't helping. I really think she needs to prescribe a real medicine that can actually do something.

Also, yes the cheek swab test was right on some of the medications in the red column (as far as side effects). Prozac was in the red column. It helped for 7 months and then pooped out on me.

Could it be that the BuSpar was helping more than thought and dropping it is bringing it all back? 

Also I agree that Deplin shouldn’t necessarily be a primary treatment method without a solid foundation 

You’ve tried most of the usual suspects for anxiety right? 

54 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Could it be that the BuSpar was helping more than thought and dropping it is bringing it all back? 

Also I agree that Deplin shouldn’t necessarily be a primary treatment method without a solid foundation 

Right. I've tried  a few SSRI's, SNRI's, Buspar, etc.    Klonopin helps, but it doesn't help as much as i'd like it to. I've been reading a lot about Lyrica. I mentioned that before. She listened and said maybe that might help, and then prescribed something else. I guess it's addicting, so that's probably why she's holding off. I take seroquel for sleep as well- that knocks me out which is a good thing.  I also have CBD oil that i'm trying. They do help a bit, but the doctor said not much research has been done on CBD, but gave me her blessing to try it. The buspar 45MG was helping a bit, but giving me terrible hot flashes. As i mentioned, I'm taking 30MG of buspar which has reduced my sweating already (That was my main issue). I want to get a second opinion from another psy, but what if i don't like him or her, and she takes away Klonopin (the one med that actually helps). Would they do that? i don't want to doctor shop (it's anxiety provoking), but I don't want to feel like this. I'm flying out on vacation in two weeks so I'd hate to start anything new while on vacation. I guess i'll just up my klonopin if needed. The doctor said i could do that. I just don't want to increase it if i don't have to. Mental illness sucks. 

1 hour ago, Ethansmom said:

Right. I've tried  a few SSRI's, SNRI's, Buspar, etc.    Klonopin helps, but it doesn't help as much as i'd like it to. I've been reading a lot about Lyrica. I mentioned that before. She listened and said maybe that might help, and then prescribed something else. I guess it's addicting, so that's probably why she's holding off. I take seroquel for sleep as well- that knocks me out which is a good thing.  I also have CBD oil that i'm trying. They do help a bit, but the doctor said not much research has been done on CBD, but gave me her blessing to try it. The buspar 45MG was helping a bit, but giving me terrible hot flashes. As i mentioned, I'm taking 30MG of buspar which has reduced my sweating already (That was my main issue). I want to get a second opinion from another psy, but what if i don't like him or her, and she takes away Klonopin (the one med that actually helps). Would they do that? i don't want to doctor shop (it's anxiety provoking), but I don't want to feel like this. I'm flying out on vacation in two weeks so I'd hate to start anything new while on vacation. I guess i'll just up my klonopin if needed. The doctor said i could do that. I just don't want to increase it if i don't have to. Mental illness sucks. 

I think you have a good idea in not switching meds before you go out for vacation, and upping the Klonopin as needed, but this should be for the time being. Benzos don't address the anxiety at its core cause, they're more like a bandage for the problem (masking it or covering it up, instead of applying antibiotic ointment to a sore, for example).

When you get back from vacation, if it were me, I'd go straight to my pdoc and have a serious talk with him/her about your current situation. Something clearly isn't working the way it should. Effexor is great for anxiety in low doses and better for depression in higher doses, but the higher doses in anxiety can be troublesome because of the norepinephrine and even dopamine reuptake inhibition. Then again, some people respond great to noradrenergic and dopaminergic agents for anxiety (like me with Wellbutrin and stimulants, except Wellbutrin gives me seizures).

If anxiety is your main problem, I would talk about going with a more calming medicine than Effexor, which is pretty stimulating for most people. Maybe even going off the beaten path from the SSRIs and SNRIs to a TCA/TeCA or MAOI might be worth considering. The TeCA maprotiline, which is hardly ever prescribed anymore, is supposed to be great for anxious depression, as well as the MAOI Nardil, but that one can cause weight gain more than the other MAOIs. Parnate is pretty good, IME, for both anxiety and depression, but insomnia was a huge side effect I experienced with it as well as weight gain which is very uncommon for Parnate.

I left another message for my psychiatrist. I am not okay with waiting 1-4 months to feel better from a supplement I don’t need! I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin all day. Not acceptable. I’m actually mad that she’s not prescribing the right medicine, or listening to my requests. Why is this taking 3 years to figure out? So now I’m self medicating with pot ( small edible), just so I can feel calm. I don’t want that either. I want her to prescribe lyrica, which is approved for anxiety in Europe...

Do you think it was rude of me to call back again and to tell her I was not okay with a supplement. She always asks me if we I’m agreemenr on our meds and I always so ok, even thought I’m not. If she doesn’t prescribe something else tomorrow then I am going to get a second opinion from a new psychiatrist! I’m terrified of starting over with a new one- I’m always afraid they are going to shame me and tell be they don’t believe in benzos.

14 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

I left another message for my psychiatrist. I am not okay with waiting 1-4 months to feel better from a supplement I don’t need! I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin all day. Not acceptable. I’m actually mad that she’s not prescribing the right medicine, or listening to my requests. Why is this taking 3 years to figure out? So now I’m self medicating with pot ( small edible), just so I can feel calm. I don’t want that either. I want her to prescribe lyrica, which is approved for anxiety in Europe...

Do you think it was rude of me to call back again and to tell her I was not okay with a supplement. She always asks me if we I’m agreemenr on our meds and I always so ok, even thought I’m not. If she doesn’t prescribe something else tomorrow then I am going to get a second opinion from a new psychiatrist! I’m terrified of starting over with a new one- I’m always afraid they are going to shame me and tell be they don’t believe in benzos.

22 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Right. I've tried  a few SSRI's, SNRI's, Buspar, etc.    Klonopin helps, but it doesn't help as much as

14 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

si'd like it to. I've been reading a lot about Lyrica. I mentioned that before. She listened and said maybe that might help, and then prescribed something else. I guess it's addicting, so that's probably why she's holding off. I take seroquel for sleep as well- that knocks me out which is a good thing.  I also have CBD oil that i'm trying. They do help a bit, but the doctor said not much research has been done on CBD, but gave me her blessing to try it. The buspar 45MG was helping a bit, but giving me terrible hot flashes. As i mentioned, I'm taking 30MG of buspar which has reduced my sweating already (That was my main issue). I want to get a second opinion from another psy, but what if i don't like him or her, and she takes away Klonopin (the one med that actually helps). Would they do that? i don't want to doctor shop (it's anxiety provoking), but I don't want to feel like this. I'm flying out on vacation in two weeks so I'd hate to start anything new while on vacation. I guess i'll just up my klonopin if needed. The doctor said i could do that. I just don't want to increase it if i don't have to. Mental illness sucks. 

So the doctor's secretary called me back and told me to just stop the Deplin and to check in the week to see how i'm doing? What kind of plan is that? I can't be the only one having issues with finding the right medication, right guys? I feel like she's giving up on me. Time for a new doctor?

2 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

Right. I've tried  a few SSRI's, SNRI's, Buspar, etc.    Klonopin helps, but it doesn't help as much as

si'd like it to. I've been reading a lot about Lyrica. I mentioned that before. She listened and said maybe that might help, and then prescribed something else. I guess it's addicting, so that's probably why she's holding off. I take seroquel for sleep as well- that knocks me out which is a good thing.  I also have CBD oil that i'm trying. They do help a bit, but the doctor said not much research has been done on CBD, but gave me her blessing to try it. The buspar 45MG was helping a bit, but giving me terrible hot flashes. As i mentioned, I'm taking 30MG of buspar which has reduced my sweating already (That was my main issue). I want to get a second opinion from another psy, but what if i don't like him or her, and she takes away Klonopin (the one med that actually helps). Would they do that? i don't want to doctor shop (it's anxiety provoking), but I don't want to feel like this. I'm flying out on vacation in two weeks so I'd hate to start anything new while on vacation. I guess i'll just up my klonopin if needed. The doctor said i could do that. I just don't want to increase it if i don't have to. Mental illness sucks. 

So the doctor's secretary called me back and told me to just stop the Deplin and to check in the week to see how i'm doing? What kind of plan is that? I can't be the only one having issues with finding the right medication, right guys? I feel like she's giving up on me. Time for a new doctor?

I think she’s just being cautious,, to try and reestablish what’s what. To me, patience is the hardest part of treating MI- it’s really natural to push for a med change, or a new med, but 1) piling on meds to soon can lead to metabolic and sedation issues 2) you have to be super careful if you push your pdoc way out of their comfort zone. I have learned this the hard way twice. 

I am not advocating that she’s doing the right thing, in fact I agree with you that she’s being quite relaxed - but all I’m saying is I don’t think she’s given up on you, maybe just not totally understand your condition or waiting to see what the best option is 

4 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I think she’s just being cautious,, to try and reestablish what’s what. To me, patience is the hardest part of treating MI- it’s really natural to push for a med change, or a new med, but 1) piling on meds to soon can lead to metabolic and sedation issues 2) you have to be super careful if you push your pdoc way out of their comfort zone. I have learned this the hard way twice. 

I am not advocating that she’s doing the right thing, in fact I agree with you that she’s being quite relaxed - but all I’m saying is I don’t think she’s given up on you, maybe just not totally understand your condition or waiting to see what the best option is 

Thanks for commenting. I’m hoping she’s not giving up. I think your right- she’s not trying to change up to much right now

37 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

Thanks for commenting. I’m hoping she’s not giving up. I think your right- she’s not trying to change up to much right now

Also possible is that she is very worried so she doesn’t want to do anything until a face to face conversation so she can get a read on it