CrazyBoards.org

So it's not so bad that I need a special RX or anything. But I get day-long stress/tension headaches (usually @ 2 times per month) that do not respond to Ibuprofen (1000mg) - Paracetamol, aspirin and the other typical OTC med doesn't do anything at all. I also had my usual 2-3 cups coffee per day and hesitate to start drinking more caffeine, as it can make me irritable afterwards

Is it possible to get a tolerance to these over time? Are there any that you find work well, (not for migraines) just the 24-hour nagging headache where you could rest all day, eat well, drink water and it refuses to budge. I'm unable to read or focus on anything.

Tylenol tension headache?  It may not work because it's a combo of tylenol and caffeine, but it's the only real one I can come up with that isn't a migraine med.

Excedrine has worked the best for me when I run out of imitrex. 

• Like 1

If the'yre stress or tension induced as you say, have you considered taking a benzodiazepine or other anti anxiety medication? I often get dull, throbbing neck aches that, before making the connection w/ anxiety instead of injury/strain, would never respond to OTC pain meds. Also, for non-drug related suggestions, I would strongly suggest an ice hat and eye mask, at least if you're at home. I almost always take something, put the ice hat on, then go lay down with the mask as I get pretty photosensitive and the ice hat helps to distract.

On 5/4/2019 at 10:45 PM, zisforzyprexa said:

If the'yre stress or tension induced as you say, have you considered taking a benzodiazepine or other anti anxiety medication? I often get dull, throbbing neck aches that, before making the connection w/ anxiety instead of injury/strain, would never respond to OTC pain meds. Also, for non-drug related suggestions, I would strongly suggest an ice hat and eye mask, at least if you're at home. I almost always take something, put the ice hat on, then go lay down with the mask as I get pretty photosensitive and the ice hat helps to distract.

Similarly, I find a muscle relaxant can help if I have a dull headache that’s not going away. I take generic Flexeril. And if your insurance will pay for it,  I recommend a chiropractor who does Active Release. They get in there on the neck and shoulder muscles and base of the skull and relieve some of the tension that causes headaches.

3 hours ago, Unstrung Harp said:

Similarly, I find a muscle relaxant can help if I have a dull headache that’s not going away. I take generic Flexeril. And if your insurance will pay for it,  I recommend a chiropractor who does Active Release. They get in there on the neck and shoulder muscles and base of the skull and relieve some of the tension that causes headaches.

Seconded on the Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine). I find that a lot of my headaches are related to muscle tension in my neck, scalp, and jaw.

I also do a heat/ice pack.  For both try the  back of your neck.  I tend to use heat with a lavender scented smell that covers my shoulders and all of my neck.  But ice on the back of my neck can also help.

im sorry those are home remedies and it depends on the strength of your headache.  I usually use it in conjunction with migraine meds (Imitrex and zofran), but those meds won’t help with a tension headache.