CrazyBoards.org

Without tons of detail I’m having major issues post concussion

right now sleep and anxiety are a big issue 

doc upped seroquel from 100 to 150 to help with sleep

at what dose does typical Weight gain happen, although I’ve been on 100 for a

while with no ill effects and been at doses of up to 500er before.

when is it sedating, stimulating, and then finally inhibits dopamine for antipsychotic effect? Are there typical ranges for the three effects it has?

2 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

I'm glad it helped a little.  I'm sorry I don't know the answers to your questions.

No worries just the worry wort in me. It’s not like I haven’t been on higher. Thank you for your support!

I’m glad it helped too. @looking for answers

I honestly never found seroquel to be stimulating. But ymmv I guess. I guess I’ve never really heard anyone talk about seroquel being stimulating. Maybe less sedating at higher doses by a little but not by leaps and bounds in my experience.

But it was better for me at higher doses as far as sedation goes at higher doses somewhat and helped me more too. I think 600 mg - 800 mg was best for me, less sedation somewhat and also still I slept pretty darn good at night. 

As far as weight gain I am sorry I don’t recall when I started to gain some weight from it. I was able to lose weight on the XR and I prefer that version but I understand some prefer the IR and that’s just fine. It’s good there are two versions out there because they are different IMO and IME.

I don’t know anything about the chemistry of the medication. Maybe someone else will chime in. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, looking for answers said:

Without tons of detail I’m having major issues post concussion

right now sleep and anxiety are a big issue 

doc upped seroquel from 100 to 150 to help with sleep

at what dose does typical Weight gain happen, although I’ve been on 100 for a

while with no ill effects and been at doses of up to 500er before.

when is it sedating, stimulating, and then finally inhibits dopamine for antipsychotic effect? Are there typical ranges for the three effects it has?

I have searched a bit and found limited info on what the effects are at different doses.

Since Seroquel use for insomnia and anxiety is off-label, it was difficult to find out what dose is typically used for sleep.....Seems like the dosage given for sleep alone can range from 25mg-200mg, in general.

I could not find a definitive answer as to when it starts to inhibit dopamine, although I did find that dosages for bipolar and schizophrenic folks generally ranged from 300mg to a maximum of 800mg.

As for weight gain, I have seen some people here who have had weight gain on less than what you're taking, but I think that weight gain on Seroquel just depends on the individual.....Not everyone who takes it gains weight.

I'm glad it helped you at 150mg....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

8 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I’m glad it helped too. @looking for answers

I honestly never found seroquel to be stimulating. But ymmv I guess. I guess I’ve never really heard anyone talk about seroquel being stimulating. Maybe less sedating at higher doses by a little but not by leaps and bounds in my experience.

But it was better for me at higher doses as far as sedation goes at higher doses somewhat and helped me more too. I think 600 mg - 800 mg was best for me, less sedation somewhat and also still I slept pretty darn good at night. 

As far as weight gain I am sorry I don’t recall when I started to gain some weight from it. I was able to lose weight on the XR and I prefer that version but I understand some prefer the IR and that’s just fine. It’s good there are two versions out there because they are different IMO and IME.

I don’t know anything about the chemistry of the medication. Maybe someone else will chime in. 

Thanks cheese. I have been in ir an wr. Ir helps me sleep better so I stick with that

2 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I have searched a bit and found limited info on what the effects are at different doses.

Since Seroquel use for insomnia and anxiety is off-label, it was difficult to find out what dose is typically used for sleep.....Seems like the dosage given for sleep can range from 25mg-200mg......

I could not find a definitive answer as to when it starts to inhibit dopamine, although I did find that dosages for bipolar and schizophrenics  generally ranged from 300mg to a maximum of 800mg.

As for weight gain, I have seen some people here who have had weight gain on less than what you're taking, but I think that the weight gain on Seroquel just depends on the individual.....Not everyone who takes it gains weight.

I'm glad it helped you at 150mg....

Thank you! I’ve never seemed to gain on it so hope it stays that way

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

Thanks cheese. I have been in ir an wr. Ir helps me sleep better so I stick with that

Thank you! I’ve never seemed to gain on it so hope it stays that way

I forgot to mention. I was able to lose a small or modest amount of weight or at minimum maintain my weight on the XR of seroquel. So it is possible for one to not gain weight or even lose a little weight on seroquel. I hope it stays that way for you too as far as no weight gain from seroquel.

Zyprexa was the problem child for me as far as weight gain goes. Too bad it is a very good med and I only take it as needed now.

8 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I forgot to mention. I was able to lose a small or modest amount of weight or at minimum maintain my weight on the XR of seroquel. So it is possible for one to not gain weight or even lose a little weight on seroquel. I hope it stays that way for you too as far as no weight gain from seroquel.

Zyprexa was the problem child for me as far as weight gain goes. Too bad it is a very good med and I only take it as needed now.

Yeah I fear zyprexa!

Counter to common wisdom, I find it more sedating the more I take. I'm on 500mg now which knocks me out in the evenings. I have gained a fair bit of weight from it, fwiw.

1 minute ago, mcjimjam said:

Counter to common wisdom, I find it more sedating the more I take. I'm on 500mg now which knocks me out in the evenings. I have gained a fair bit of weight from it, fwiw.

What’s a fair bit, how old r u? And when did the gain start

Just now, looking for answers said:

What’s a fair bit, how old r u? And when did the gain start

I gained about 13kg/28lbs since adding the Seroquel butr I was already overweight from previous AAPs I'd taken (invega, zyprexa, rexulti). I'm 28. The weight gain started pretty much as soon as I started the med.

29 minutes ago, mcjimjam said:

I gained about 13kg/28lbs since adding the Seroquel butr I was already overweight from previous AAPs I'd taken (invega, zyprexa, rexulti). I'm 28. The weight gain started pretty much as soon as I started the med.

That’s a good bit. I have read avg gain is 6lbs IF you gain hope

u found somehow to

manage

On 5/7/2019 at 3:30 PM, looking for answers said:

25-200 mg is where it tends to be sedating.

300 mg is when it starts to become stimulating (if it will), but may have some dopamine antagonism.

400-800 mg is when the dopamine antagonism kicks in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

25-200 mg is where it tends to be sedating.

300 mg is when it starts to become stimulating (if it will), but may have some dopamine antagonism.

400-800 mg is when the dopamine antagonism kicks in.

Thank u so 150 still sedating

Crazy. Could be unrelated and all the stress I’m under, just holding water. But we upped that seroquel 50mg a week ago and I’m up 6 lbs. I’ve been on seroquel or seroquel xr for a few years now with no weight gain and on doses up to 400-500mg with no weight gain. Been on ir around the 100 range for about a year no weight gain.

dunno what’s causing the gain.

I track calories, work out 6 days a week intensely. I’m currently “bulking” slowly so trying to gain but at like .25-.5 lbs a week. And have been steady gaining like that for about 5 months . With no changes besides stress, and meds it’s hard to say which it is

Crazy. Could be unrelated and all the stress I’m under, just holding water. But we upped that seroquel 50mg a week ago and I’m up 6 lbs. I’ve been on seroquel or seroquel xr for a few years now with no weight gain and on doses up to 400-500mg with no weight gain. Been on ir around the 100 range for about a year no weight gain.

I track calories, work out 6 days a week intensely. I’m currently “bulking” slowly so trying to gain but at like .25-.5 lbs a week. And have been steady gaining like that for about 5 months . With no changes besides stress, and meds it’s hard to say which it is

2 hours ago, looking for answers said:

I’ve read that it can screw with your metabolism so wt gain can happen without anything changing sometimes. Contrary to what you believe, from what I’ve read. 

21 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

I’ve read that it can screw with your metabolism so wt gain can happen without anything changing sometimes. Contrary to what you believe, from what I’ve read. 

No I have heard that as wel. Just 6lbs in a week for a 50mg increase , on a med I’ve been on for years , even at higher doses seems like a lot 

12 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

No I have heard that as wel. Just 6lbs in a week for a 50mg increase , on a med I’ve been on for years , even at higher doses seems like a lot 

Well I managed 80 lbs in a year. I’ve heard quite a few times people gaining quickly. It may or may not be that, but I know it happens.