CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone have tips on how to find a good GP? Who gets MI and won't talk down to me because of it?

Physically, I am doing better than mentally. I do take daily and rescue meds for asthma. 

My GP's office is quite far away from where I live and work now. And the provider there that I liked moved away years ago... I have stayed with the practice only because I haven't really needed them. They've fumbled the few things I've sought their care for in the last few years. Now they're jerking my pharmacy around. It's time to move on.

Tdoc and Pdoc don't have recommendations. I don't have friends. I don't know who else to ask.

zocdocs?  it's a little more of a hassle, because you have to read them all yourself, but i've found two great people that way.

• Thanks 1

I’ve found you can google some and read reviews but of course you can’t count on them entirely. I might call around to the offices of ones you’re considering and ask if they have some sort of online or printed bio or statement of philosophy or such. You might want to think of a few key questions and see if the nurse or assistant could answer them, since I doubt most Drs will be up to taking time for a prospective patient to screen them. Also you might try going in to take a glance at the office setup and check the vibe. At least for me, if certain things are all wrong, forget it. You can also get recs from insurance companies if you have private insurance. Or do you know any nurses?  Often they know which Drs are or aren’t good. Not sure if any of this helps but it’s what I might do. 

If you don’t have pressing or major physical issues, you might try a nurse practitioner within an office. I’ve found them to be better than drs, they take their time, ask a lot of questions, and generally don’t have the arrogance that an unfortunate amount of drs have. They can still write scripts, they just need the dr’s signature. I’m using an NP now, I couldn’t be happier. My pdoc records are in their system, as it’s all within the same major hospital group. He didn’t bat an eye at either my dx’s, or my meds. 

I’ve also had a very good experience with an NP at the gyn office, unfortunately she quit. 

Something my dad does (he’s 85), although it does suck up a lot of time, when he’s pondering an office, he’ll go sit in the waiting room for a while. He takes notice of how long it takes for a patient to be called, and how long til they’re out, and how the office staff treats them. Great, but like I said, time consuming. 

I’m not sure I totally trust online reviews... my pdoc, when he had a private practice, had a bad review, and in my experience (I’d been with him for years) the complaints were completely unfounded. Some people just can’t be pleased, and those tend to be the ones that leave reviews. 

2 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

I’m not sure I totally trust online reviews... my pdoc, when he had a private practice, had a bad review, and in my experience (I’d been with him for years) the complaints were completely unfounded. Some people just can’t be pleased, and those tend to be the ones that leave reviews. 

I agree with this. I think sometimes that really contrary people are the most inclined to write reviews. I've had great doctors with really middling reviews.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:28 PM, dancesintherain said:

zocdocs?  it's a little more of a hassle, because you have to read them all yourself, but i've found two great people that way.

Just checked that out and want to thank you for suggesting this! I’m finding tons more doctors with this than I was through my insurance site!

I stumbled upon my last obgyn NP and she was fabulous! She retired recently unfortunately for me! 

I stumbled upon my new GP as well. I have to agree with Rabbit that I’ve had better luck with NP’s. It just seems they have more time or are more thorough or are more attentive? This is only my experience though. I’m sure there are plenty of MD’s that are that way too. 

I just tried one out at a clinic that was very close to me when my very good NP retired. I actually did look at the clinic’s website. Usually they have a little blurb about the Dr or NP on the website. Not always super helpful but it can be somewhat. I do like my current NP so far. I’ve seen her only a handful of times though. But she doesn’t treat me like a 2 year old because I’m MI and she listens and takes me seriously. 

But I know how bad Dr’s can be. I saw one in her place while current NP was on maternity leave and once she found out I went through the county MH clinic she did treat me like a 2 year old, talked very slowly to me, didn’t take me seriously, said “I see you are on ‘some’ meds”, and no follow up or anything from one blood pressure check at her clinic. (When my blood pressure had been high for 6 months or more at my pdoc appointments)

Good luck geek on your search. I do hope you find someone soon.

9 hours ago, Unstrung Harp said:

I agree with this. I think sometimes that really contrary people are the most inclined to write reviews. I've had great doctors with really middling reviews.

I also agree with this too. I think people are more inclined to post negative experiences than to post good ones. They get all fired up and they blast the dr online. Whereas, if they have a good experience, they go about their merry way and continue their day.

I too have had great Drs with negative reviews. It’s so hard to say. I also have psyched myself out of seeing a Dr because I have read negative reviews. I don’t know what the answer is. 

1 hour ago, DammitJanet said:

Just checked that out and want to thank you for suggesting this! I’m finding tons more doctors with this than I was through my insurance site!

I'm glad it's getting you somewhere.  I love it.  I found a phenomena GI through it and a phenomenal GP.  I think that for soe reason their reviews are more balanced (if they're reviewed).

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

@dancesintherain - I had used Zocdocs a year or two ago and forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

I am more than open to seeing an NP or a PA. In fact, the provider I really liked at my current GP's office was a NP. I've had much better care from NPs and PAs than from MDs. Perhaps it's due to the different background/approach?