CrazyBoards.org

At my last psychiatry appointment, my pdoc asked me to move 0.5mg of my 1mg evening dose of ativan to the morning.  She was worried I might have some withdrawal symptoms, which was causing increased anxiety.  I have just started on klonopin (1mg) at night because it was the first thing to get me to sleep.  So I had sufficient anxiety protection at night.

The weird problem I hit - I felt like I was slurring my speech like i was drunk.  I don't think I actually was.  But it felt that way and people seemed a little confused by what I was saying. 

I checked with my pdoc about whether i could try just phasing out the ativan completely and she said yes. But I'm still trying to figure out what was happening?  Can a migration of 0.5mg of ativan do that?  Nothing else was changed.

Thanks CR, I didn't recognize that.  It was interesting--I felt like I kept myself from slurring my speech, but that that's what it wanted to do.  I think I'll treat it the same. 

• Like 1

Are you cross-titrating from one benzo to another?

Not really.  I had been taking 0.5mg ativan in am, 1mg of ativan and 1m of klonopin in the pm.. My pdoc wanted to see if I could switch the morning and afternoon ativan doses, so I tried and that's when the symptoms came up.  Had they not come up, I think I would have at least temporarily have stayed on both.

Combination of 2 benzos will do this, even at low doses. Benzos potentiate each other. All benzos have slurring as a side effect. For example. I can take up to 4 mg Klonopin without slurring or 4 mg Ativan. But take 1 mg Klonopin taken daily with 1 mg ativan taken as needed and I slur.