CrazyBoards.org

Trying to get back on the health supplement wagon again. I don't want to go crazy...but looking into taking some (evidence-based) supplements that help mood, cognition, inflammatory conditions and energy. So far:

Omega3's (brain / memory / mood support) I've tried Nordic Naturals (EPA 650, DHA 450), but these are too expensive. Any suggestions??

NAC (stress, immune/ kidney/ liver function) Any dose or brand recommendations?

CoQ10 (heart function) Any dose or brand recommendations?

Calcium / Mag (bone health / anxiety) Anyone know the deal here with what's best? I've heard conflicting things about: don't take them together at once, Calcium Carbonate is useless (versus citrate) must take this with vitamin D for proper absorption. I also can't swallow those gigantic chalky tablets.

Probiotics (Gut health): I research these and get overwhelmed with options, # of strains, types of strains, potency,  any suggestions?

I doubt I can afford to take more (nor do I want to take dozens of pills per day) but am I missing anything really important (I take a daily multivitamin)

@notloki I know you take some of these, any specifics you recommend, and are they OTC?

Medicare pays for my Lovaza fish oil tabs for the indication of high triglycerides. I take 1800 mg of NAC, supplements I buy from Swansons. Nootropics I get from https://nootropicsdepot.com/. You should have your vitamin D level checked before you waste money on supplements. Alpha GPC seems to work, it is a choline supplement. Acetylcholine drops as you age and many meds suppress Acetylcholine levels. Hemp seed oil contains all 3 omegas in balanced amounts.

Thanks. wow, 1800mg NAC? Most of the supplements I read have only 100-200mg . Do you know anything about Calcium supplements, and which is the better formulation?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

Thanks. wow, 1800mg NAC? Most of the supplements I read have only 100-200mg . Do you know anything about Calcium supplements, and which is the better formulation?

RCT of NAC for bipolar disorder's dose was 2g/day, split into 2x 1000mg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3482580/

Promising for unipolar too

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28318471

FWIW I take the "NOW" brand. Jury is still out as to what's wrong with me, but NAC has been the only supplement I've taken which has a real tangible effect. Vitamins, fish oil, etc for me are more along the lines of "i'm sure it's doing something good, but I don't feel any different"

Edited by argh

I don’t have links handy, but I take coq10, 200mg. Various reasons, not just heart. Believed to help with depression, and somewhere I had read it could help with vision. I use dr’s best brand, recommended as high absorption. 

7 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Omega3's (brain / memory / mood support) I've tried Nordic Naturals (EPA 650, DHA 450), but these are too expensive. Any suggestions??

Dr. Tobias makes a good fish oil supplement. I forget the price though.

Consider adding PQQ with the CoQ10. (Make sure it's BioPQQ. Several brands make it with that particular formulation of PQQ.)