Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Blahblah

Supplements: Best for MI, liver/kidney, gut etc?

Recommended Posts

Trying to get back on the health supplement wagon again. I don't want to go crazy...but looking into taking some (evidence-based) supplements that help mood, cognition, inflammatory conditions and energy. So far:

Omega3's (brain / memory / mood support) I've tried Nordic Naturals (EPA 650, DHA 450), but these are too expensive. Any suggestions??

NAC (stress, immune/ kidney/ liver function) Any dose or brand recommendations?

CoQ10 (heart function) Any dose or brand recommendations?

Calcium / Mag (bone health / anxiety) Anyone know the deal here with what's best? I've heard conflicting things about: don't take them together at once, Calcium Carbonate is useless (versus citrate) must take this with vitamin D for proper absorption. I also can't swallow those gigantic chalky tablets.

Probiotics (Gut health): I research these and get overwhelmed with options, # of strains, types of strains, potency,  any suggestions?

I doubt I can afford to take more (nor do I want to take dozens of pills per day) but am I missing anything really important (I take a daily multivitamin)

@notloki I know you take some of these, any specifics you recommend, and are they OTC?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Medicare pays for my Lovaza fish oil tabs for the indication of high triglycerides. I take 1800 mg of NAC, supplements I buy from Swansons. Nootropics I get from https://nootropicsdepot.com/. You should have your vitamin D level checked before you waste money on supplements. Alpha GPC seems to work, it is a choline supplement. Acetylcholine drops as you age and many meds suppress Acetylcholine levels. Hemp seed oil contains all 3 omegas in balanced amounts.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. wow, 1800mg NAC? Most of the supplements I read have only 100-200mg . Do you know anything about Calcium supplements, and which is the better formulation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

Thanks. wow, 1800mg NAC? Most of the supplements I read have only 100-200mg . Do you know anything about Calcium supplements, and which is the better formulation?

RCT of NAC for bipolar disorder's dose was 2g/day, split into 2x 1000mg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3482580/

Promising for unipolar too

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28318471

FWIW I take the "NOW" brand. Jury is still out as to what's wrong with me, but NAC has been the only supplement I've taken which has a real tangible effect. Vitamins, fish oil, etc for me are more along the lines of "i'm sure it's doing something good, but I don't feel any different"

Edited by argh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have links handy, but I take coq10, 200mg. Various reasons, not just heart. Believed to help with depression, and somewhere I had read it could help with vision. I use dr’s best brand, recommended as high absorption. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Omega3's (brain / memory / mood support) I've tried Nordic Naturals (EPA 650, DHA 450), but these are too expensive. Any suggestions??

Dr. Tobias makes a good fish oil supplement. I forget the price though.

Consider adding PQQ with the CoQ10. (Make sure it's BioPQQ. Several brands make it with that particular formulation of PQQ.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 4:50 PM, Blahblah said:

Do you know anything about Calcium supplements, and which is the better formulation?

The best way to get calcium is via food rich in it. I like cheese and calcium fortified low acid Orange Juice for an extra boost but my diet contains the RDA. Calcium supplements are usually poorly absorbed.

'., 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 8:28 PM, argh said:

RCT of NAC for bipolar disorder's dose was 2g/day, split into 2x 1000mg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3482580/

Promising for unipolar too

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28318471

FWIW I take the "NOW" brand. Jury is still out as to what's wrong with me, but NAC has been the only supplement I've taken which has a real tangible effect. Vitamins, fish oil, etc for me are more along the lines of "i'm sure it's doing something good, but I don't feel any different"

I'm curious what positive effects you've noticed, argh, if you don't mind sharing. I've never heard of NAC before, but now I'm interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Unstrung Harp said:

I'm curious what positive effects you've noticed, argh, if you don't mind sharing. I've never heard of NAC before, but now I'm interested.

Of course. Disclaimer, I've stopped pretty much all supplements during the trial of lamotrigine, including NAC. Just so i could gauge the actual impact of the mood stabilizer. I'll probably get back on it once i'm a few months  out and have been on 150 or 200mg of lamotrigine, without issues/complications.

As far as how it feels, my personal experience is that it feels like a lesser version of lamotrigine, perhaps around the 25-50mg dose range. I did respond/feel improvements even at low doses, so YMMV as many people don't feel anything from lamotrigine until about 150-200mg. That might make some sense as both regulate/modulate glutamate. Maybe my problem is glutamate/gaba vs a serotonin/dopamine issue; if nothing else that makes more sense to me.

Anyways, here are the notable improvements.

  • General sense of calm
  • Less likelihood of flashes of anger. When it did pop up, it was significantly more mild.
  • Drowsiness. This may be a pro or con for you. It wasn't as much knock me the fuck out, as it was, ok if i had nothing better to do I could totally take a nap. This effect was helpful around bedtime. I was able to sleep deeper
  • Significant reduction in obsessive thoughts. The wellbutrin and gabapentin help a ton for that, but this further decreased them
  • Minor decreased anxiety (not to be confused with a general sense of calm)
  • Improved concentration / less spacey at times.
  • Reducing libido. As I don't have social skills on a personal level (oddly enough plenty on professional level), a joke that the universe played on me is a libido that ranged from super high to "omg it's like 12 pm on a saturday and you're still pawing at yourself" when elevated. I suppose if we want to get into TMI land, it took my libido from jerking off 3x a day or more, to once a day/sometimes skipping a day. I'd get irritated and jumpy if i didn't.

It didn't exactly have the purported full on mood stabilizing effects however. I still had moments of elevation, especially when my sleep got fucked. Depression hasn't been a problem for a few months, so I can't fully comment on if it lifted that or not.

Interestingly enough, I got nearly the same side effects, also to a lesser extent, as lamotrigine

  • Dry everything. It's not as bad as lotion twice a day, practically drink eyedrops like lamotrgine does, but it was noticeable. FWIW fish oil is now doing something, in terms of making my eyes less dry. Go figure.
  • Initial minor congestion about 1-2 hours after taking it
  • Minor harmless transient rash. Gabapentin is the biggest cause of transient rashes and it seems to come in waves, so there's a good chance NAC didn't cause rashes.
Edited by argh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, argh said:

Of course. Disclaimer, I've stopped pretty much all supplements during the trial of lamotrigine, including NAC. Just so i could gauge the actual impact of the mood stabilizer. I'll probably get back on it once i'm a few months  out and have been on 150 or 200mg of lamotrigine, without issues/complications.

As far as how it feels, my personal experience is that it feels like a lesser version of lamotrigine, perhaps around the 25-50mg dose range. I did respond/feel improvements even at low doses, so YMMV as many people don't feel anything from lamotrigine until about 150-200mg. That might make some sense as both regulate/modulate glutamate. Maybe my problem is glutamate/gaba vs a serotonin/dopamine issue; if nothing else that makes more sense to me.

Anyways, here are the notable improvements.

  • General sense of calm
  • Less likelihood of flashes of anger. When it did pop up, it was significantly more mild.
  • Drowsiness. This may be a pro or con for you. It wasn't as much knock me the fuck out, as it was, ok if i had nothing better to do I could totally take a nap. This effect was helpful around bedtime. I was able to sleep deeper
  • Significant reduction in obsessive thoughts. The wellbutrin and gabapentin help a ton for that, but this further decreased them
  • Minor decreased anxiety (not to be confused with a general sense of calm)
  • Improved concentration / less spacey at times.
  • Reducing libido. As I don't have social skills on a personal level (oddly enough plenty on professional level), a joke that the universe played on me is a libido that ranged from super high to "omg it's like 12 pm on a saturday and you're still pawing at yourself" when elevated. I suppose if we want to get into TMI land, it took my libido from jerking off 3x a day or more, to once a day/sometimes skipping a day. I'd get irritated and jumpy if i didn't.

It didn't exactly have the purported full on mood stabilizing effects however. I still had moments of elevation, especially when my sleep got fucked. Depression hasn't been a problem for a few months, so I can't fully comment on if it lifted that or not.

Interestingly enough, I got nearly the same side effects, also to a lesser extent, as lamotrigine

  • Dry everything. It's not as bad as lotion twice a day, practically drink eyedrops like lamotrgine does, but it was noticeable. FWIW fish oil is now doing something, in terms of making my eyes less dry. Go figure.
  • Initial minor congestion about 1-2 hours after taking it
  • Minor harmless transient rash. Gabapentin is the biggest cause of transient rashes and it seems to come in waves, so there's a good chance NAC didn't cause rashes.

Thank you for the thoughtful answer. I'm going to take your general sense of calm, significant reduction in obsessive thoughts, and improved concentration and run with them (well hopefully I'll get my own). So desperate to make my brain work right again cognitively, and Pdoc seems out of ideas on how to adjust my meds/what to add or subtract that will help me focus and stay on task. I ordered some NAC and a B complex. Though admittedly, I'm slightly squeamish about the NAC since somebody in the Amazon reviews claimed it was made from human hair and duck feathers. But, you know, whatever. I'm sure I ingest a healthy amount of dog hair in the course of my day, so it's par for the course.

Edited by Unstrung Harp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Calcium is something I’m required to take due to having had gastric bypass. The nutritionist at the surgeons office recommends calcium citrate as opposed to carbonate because it absorbs much better. Even more so if combined with Vitamin D. And possibly magnesium, that part I’m not positive of, but it’s included in my calcium supplement soooo... hope this helps. 

Depending on your age, this could be an important supplement. 

Edited by DammitJanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

Calcium is something I’m required to take due to having had gastric bypass. The nutritionist at the surgeons office recommends calcium citrate as opposed to carbonate because it absorbs much better. Even more so if combined with Vitamin D. And possibly magnesium, that part I’m not positive of, but it’s included in my calcium supplement soooo... hope this helps. 

Depending on your age, this could be an important supplement. 

Magnesium citrate is said to be helpful for mood as well. So even if unrelated that's a good idea to consider

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magnesium powder, dissolved in water an hour before bed is supposedly best. Also will shorten the 90 days it takes to digest rocks.

 

I find a broad B complex very helpful for energy. It seems to set my body clock too, so I sleep better 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 11:42 PM, Hume's doona said:

Magnesium powder, dissolved in water an hour before bed is supposedly best. Also will shorten the 90 days it takes to digest rocks

I love the Natures Calm magnesium powder.  Tried it for anxiety, but also found it improved my headaches, constipation, muscle pain.  It's good stuff

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Complicated toad said:

I love the Natures Calm magnesium powder.  Tried it for anxiety, but also found it improved my headaches, constipation, muscle pain.  It's good stuff

You mentioned it helps constipation...do you think it would cause the opposite for those with IBS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

You mentioned it helps constipation...do you think it would cause the opposite for those with IBS?

I don't know for sure, the package says it can cause "loose stools" only if too high of a dosage is taken.  Taking a normal dose has been regulating for me.  It's not like a laxative where it makes you go urgently, I just find the day after I take it, my system works like it should.  Apologies if this is TMI 😁

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, just on the calcium/D...

 

Apparently 6 monthly depot injection penetrates the bone best. Calcium from food feeds the outer layer of bone, the depot gets right to the core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hume's doona said:

Also, just on the calcium/D...

 

Apparently 6 monthly depot injection penetrates the bone best. Calcium from food feeds the outer layer of bone, the depot gets right to the core.

Hmmm...does Medicare cover that ? I did not see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, notloki said:

Hmmm...does Medicare cover that ? I did not see it.

I don't know, sorry. My Mum gets them for bone strength though. Script from pharmacist, kept in fridge until Dr appointment to administer it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...