CrazyBoards.org

CrazyRedhead

New, "Delusional" Panic Attacks Happening?

Posted (edited)

I have recently started having really severe, and weird panic attacks in the last couple weeks.......I don't know whether or not they are related to my OCD.

These attacks just happen at random, I have no idea what triggers them......

When the attacks start, an image comes up in my mind of my house catching on fire...When they happen, I truly believe that my house will burn up if I don't unplug EVERYTHING......Then after I unplug everything, I go on the front porch, because I can still see the house burning down in my mind.

The attacks seem to last about an hour, after which I am still somewhat scared to go back in the house.....Then I will go ask my neighbor friend to come check everything to make sure it's safe to go back in..............This friend is familiar with what my issues are, and helps me out with other things related to my MI (driving me to appts, getting my groceries, cleaning, etc), so she doesn't mind checking.

Mainly I am concerned that when these attacks happen, I really believe my house is going to burn down.

I have already told pdoc and tdoc about them, and pdoc says she thinks the attacks might be delusional.....She has called in an increased Risperdal dose of 3mg (I was on 2mg), to see if it helps.

Is it really possible to have a "delusional panic attack"........Any thoughts or experiences welcome....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Posted (edited)

The OCD package includes intrusive thoughts. Seeing disasters-about-to-happen is common. I have some personal experience with these, unfortunately. Mostly taken care of by Abilify but Risperidone was great as well.

I guess that severe intrusive thoughts can be named “delusions” at some point.

If you are not diagnosed with psychosis then this may very well be part of your OCD.

Did you have a medication change recently? It may be some withdrawal effect of something...

Edited by HydroCat

30 minutes ago, HydroCat said:

The OCD package includes intrusive thoughts. Seeing disasters-about-to-happen is common. I have some personal experience with these, unfortunately. Mostly taken care of by Abilify but Risperidone was great as well.

I guess that severe intrusive thoughts can be named “delusions” at some point.

If you are not diagnosed with psychosis then this may very well be part of your OCD.

Did you have a medication change recently? It may be some withdrawal effect of something...

I haven't gone off anything recently.....Cocktail has been about the same for a good while.....Only thing that has changed is that after I told pdoc about these attacks, she increased my Risperdone from 2mg to 3mg..........Just started the 3mg Risperdone.

I've never been diagnosed with any kind of psychosis.....Pdoc said these attacks could be delusional, but it's sometimes hard to tell severe intrusive thoughts from delusions.

I've just never had attacks like this before....Scary.

Thanks for your input........This OCD is really kicking my butt.

My OCD intrusive thoughts are the enemy of me. They are so real. Once I thought my heart actually stopped when I was dealing my pulse. It was so irrational but I really thought it stopped. I even once believed the plane I was going on was going to crash and I had a huge panic attack. I was having images of it going down. I still have irrational thoughts but meds are helping a bit. Maybe this is just a set back for you? We all have blips ...

12 hours ago, Ethansmom said:

Maybe this is just a set back for you? We all have blips ...

I've always had panic attacks to a certain degree, but these I'm having now seem much more intense, and the thoughts and images are so vivid, that I think they are actually happening while I'm having the attack.

Very scary, almost like a flashback type attack, but I've never had any actual traumatic events in my life involving fire or burning, that I know of.

My pdoc did increase my Risperdal recently to 3mg because of these attacks, but so far they are still happening.....They just happen at random, and I have no idea what triggers them.

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I've always had panic attacks to a certain degree, but these I'm having now seem much more intense, and the thoughts and images are so vivid, that I think they are actually happening while I'm having the attack.

Very scary, almost like a flashback type attack, but I've never had any actual traumatic events in my life involving fire or burning, that I know of.

My pdoc did increase my Risperdal recently to 3mg because of these attacks, but so far they are still happening.....They just happen at random, and I have no idea what triggers them.

This is actually what happened to me that day I thought my apartment was on fire where I could see Abby burning to death, hearing her scream. Part of me knew it might not be real, but I panicked enough to run 2 red lights speeding all the way home. 

45 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

This is actually what happened to me that day I thought my apartment was on fire where I could see Abby burning to death, hearing her scream. Part of me knew it might not be real, but I panicked enough to run 2 red lights speeding all the way home. 

Wow.....I know that had to be scary......I'm just wondering why these type attacks just started recently for me......Wondering if it's something to do with the OCD......Oh well, I did tell pdoc, and she increased risperdal to 3mg.

Just now, CrazyRedhead said:

Wow.....I know that had to be scary......I'm just wondering why these type attacks just started recently for me......Wondering if it's something to do with the OCD......Oh well, I did tell pdoc, and she increased risperdal to 3mg.

That’s what I’m afraid of. Her taking me off vyvanse cause she’ll think I’m delusional. AND add another AP. No way. 

10 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

That’s what I’m afraid of. Her taking me off vyvanse cause she’ll think I’m delusional. AND add another AP. No way. 

Well, according to @HydroCat above, seeing disasters about to happen is common in OCD, but at a certain point, if they are really severe intrusive thoughts, they could be called "delusions" at a certain point.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Just now, CrazyRedhead said:

Well, according to @HydroCat above, seeing disasters about to happen is common in OCD, but at a certain point, if they are really severe, they could be called "delusions"........

Ugh. She’d probably call it delusions. 

2 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Ugh. She’d probably call it delusions. 

My pdoc said they were possibly "delusional", but she really hasn't decided if they are really severe intrusive OCD thoughts, or "delusions"............I guess we'll probably talk about it next appt.....**SIGH**

3 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

My pdoc said they were possibly "delusional", but she really hasn't decided if they are really severe intrusive OCD thoughts, or "delusions"............I guess we'll probably talk about it next appt.....**SIGH**

I’ll probably not bring it up unless it gets to be an common occurrence . Stupid autocorrect. 

Edited by DammitJanet
  • Like 1