CrazyBoards.org

Posted (edited)

I have several issues here regarding OCD in my personal case.

I am absolutely terrified of contaminating myself or others with deadly diseases/germs/MRSA/etc... this includes my cats. I haven't been able to really touch or pet my cats.

I'm using gloves to touch door handles and curtains. 

Any time I feel even a tiny twinge of something touching me or a nerve misfiring, I instantly think a bat has bitten me or touched me and I am going to die of Rabies. 

In response to these issues, I wash my hands excessively. I stand at the sink for a long time washing. In my mind, a voice tells me to keep washing and commands me to do so. It says if I don't do so, either myself or others I have contaminated will get very ill and maybe even die.

To give an example, it's sort of like: "Go wash your hands NOW. Okay, keep washing and scrubbing. I don't care if your hands are cut and bleeding and raw. Keep washing. Scrub your skin off. DON'T STOP! Keep washing. That's not clean enough. Don't you feel the contamination on your skin? Wash your hands again. Everyone you love is going to die. Keep washing. Keep washing. Keep washing. Keep washing. Keep washing."

A lot of times, it goes on and on until I literally have this urge to kick and punch walls. I feel like destroying things around me because I feel out of control. 

Do I need a radical treatment like Deep Brain Stimulation for my OCD where they implant electrodes into your brain? I read it has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of treatment-resistant OCD.

Can anyone advise?

Edited by Lapis.Lazuli

Are you on any medication?

There are many effective ones (and combinations) for OCD. I wouldn't go that far without trying this solution first.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Lapis.Lazuli said:

Do I need a radical treatment like Deep Brain Stimulation for my OCD where they implant electrodes into your brain? I read it has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of treatment-resistant OCD.

Can anyone advise?

I have severe OCD, too, but it's more of the "checking" type.

According to your signature, I see you are only on  klonopin and ativan currently......Has your pdoc recommended any other meds, like maybe an anti-depressant, and/or a mood stabilizer or AAP?.......

I am not a doc, but IMO,  benzos alone are not going to adequately treat your depression and OCD.

Deep Brain Stimulation is more of a last line treatment, after failing all medications and behavioral treatments for OCD:     https://iocdf.org/about-ocd/ocd-treatment/dbs/

Quotes from the article:

"This intervention is only for individuals who do not respond well to cognitive behavior therapy or medication."

" Patients eligible for DBS will have had very little or no response to all currently available medicines and behavioral treatments for OCD."

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

My intrusive thoughts could be described as a commanding voice as well. it is a lot like how you're describing. effexor helped this, and surprisingly when i wasn't able to afford effexor, so did st. johns wort. it didn't completely go away but it did help turn it down a bit. 

before the effexor, i'd literally be standing there paralyzed while my head shouted things like, "punch the baby, buuuuuddy, go ahead, punch the baby, punch it punch it punch it punch it" or "the dog died 'cause of you 'cause of you 'cause of you the dog died 'cause of you it was you"

• Like 1