CrazyBoards.org

I didn't know where to put this, especially after the recent discussion about girly forums, but I am at the point with the night sweats I want to fucking scream.

Share.

I get so drenched it wakes me up, after just 3 or 4 hours of sleep. It happens during day naps too.

I'm on Cymbalta, 45 (periomenopause has been DENIED by my MD, but I am suspiscious), fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis...none of these things, save the possible hormonal shit, seem plausible.

It is relatively new. I'm also retaining fluid, to the point my rings and shoes are tight. This makes me more nervous than the night sweats. I drink tons of water.

I see my doc next week, and I will have the full results of all the labs the rheumatologist did 3 weeks ago, but I really don't think I have a *disease* that will kill me that is also characterized by nightsweats, e.g., cancer, HIV infection...

Anyhoo, ladies:

Commisserate, I hate it! It makes me have to take a shower more than my 2 or 3 times a week and that sucks rocks.

How common is this?

Sweaty Saturn Girl

S9,

Perimenopause can start very slowly and simmer for years before you actually hit menopause (defined as twelve months without a period). Your hormones can be normal one month and FUBAR the next. It is not a linear progression. So, with all due respect, have the perimenopause conversation with your gynecologist, not your regular doc.

When it started happening to me, I had horrible sweats night and day. I would just be sitting there and the sweat would start running down my head. Yes, my whole head and neck would sweat buckets. So pleasant. They were accompanied by a sense of growing panic-danger-claustrophobia. As if the hot flash itself weren't annoying enough, we got to add a total heart pounding adrenaline rush to the scenario.

My gyn put me on low dose birth control pills for a year. That was extremely helpful. The brand was Lo Ovral. I can't remember the name of the first one she prescribed for me, but it made me more depressed than I already was. The Lo Ovral played nice with my AD and knocked out the hot flashes.

Some things that helped me at night was to keep an ice bag by my bed. Something cold on the back of your neck really helps cut the overheating short. Running cold water over my wrists helped, too.

Men's light-weight cotton t-shirts were the best for sleeping, and you can keep an extra one on the bed. I tried sleeping naked, but then the sheets were wet and that was no good.

I feel for you. It's not a lot of fun, but you will get through it. And the good part is that and the end of it you don't bleed every month and you can have pretty, unstained underwear again. I live for small pleasures.

Greeny

Ah, the sweats.  I have a hot thermostat, so I was feeling plenty warm enough before the real hot flashes started.

I get them during the day, though---not at night.  At least 2 or three times a day.  So hot and sweaty that I go outside and stand there in 25

S9,

My gyn put me on low dose birth control pills for a year. That was extremely helpful. The brand was Lo Ovral. I can't remember the name of the first one she prescribed for me, but it made me more depressed than I already was. The Lo Ovral played nice with my AD and knocked out the hot flashes.

GF,

Thanks. I don't know if it's significant or not, but I am NOT having hot flashes. I am only getting drenched when I sleep. In fact, during the waking hours, I tend to be cold.

;)

But you are right, and I do have a consult with gyn on the horizon to address my Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB), and possible hysterectomy.

I do only ever wear cotton tshirts. I sleep in the clothes I wear...<shrug> Preparedness?

LOL...

T-shirts, legging, yoga pants, summer = cotton shorts or men's boxers. Fancy wardrobe, this girl.

S9

I am only getting drenched when I sleep

You say that NOW.....just wait.

I started out with only the night sweats, too. I didn't think it had anything to do with menopause at first. I thought it was some kind of heat dump that happened during deep sleep.  ;)

T-shirts, legging, yoga pants, summer = cotton shorts or men's boxers. Fancy wardrobe, this girl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Snine:

I do the same thing! Have a stack of t-shirts next to the bed. Some nights are fine, others I wake up so drenched I have to change. Sometimes twice in one night.

Only had one hot flash during the day, however my doc says I am half way through the menopause stuff. Not by Greeny's definition though. :embarassed:  So we'll see.

Soy really is supposed to work the best. Also Black Cohosh is supposed to work well for some women, although it made my periods worse.

Just like anything else. We are all different. The best barometer, I am told, is your mom. Find out what she went through. My mom had a hysterectomy and so did my aunt and grandmother. So I am the pioneer in my family.

Stack of t-shirts for now though. I know what you mean.

Breeze

Baby, can I relate!

Agree with what's been said here. And, yes, perimenopausal symptoms can hit some women quite early, and at 45 you've got a good reason to be suspicious.

I've experienced what Greeny mentioned; low-dose birth control pills made a big difference for me. In my case I used Mircette.

I would recommend going through the Menopause thread. Very long, but several bits of wisdom. My main contribution came here: http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showt...indpost&p=80787. I posted several links to non-medical products that help with the night sweats and hot flashes, like the Chillow and the PJs and bedsheets made with the same wicking material used in athletic wear. Dixie_Amazon also gave a link to a similar T-shirt product, in her post right after mine.

Here's my bottom-line caveat: If your gyno doesn't take your symptoms seriously, or doesn't listen to you, or whatever else doesn't feel right -- FIND ANOTHER ONE! Won't go into details here, have done so on more than one thread. Suffice it to say the supposedly "best" OB-GYN in my area really screwed up, and I suffered needlessly for it.

Hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted.

Your sister in sweat (well, not anymore -- finally, thank god!),

revlow

The best barometer, I am told, is your mom. Find out what she went through. My mom had a hysterectomy and so did my aunt and grandmother. So I am the pioneer in my family.
Well, my Mom is a very sick woman. Physically. She is also fogged by her diseases and the meds that treat them. So she is not a resource for me--I'm not sure she knows she is, or ever was, a female.

No matter, I'm not stressing, just bitching. If I have the *slightest* bit of stress, it is that,

1. The night sweats are not consistent, IOW, not every night,

2. The sweats happen only when I sleep, IOW, NO hot flashes (which greeny addressed),

3. They are a symptom of something else more serious that no one is picking up on. I guess I will always have this paranoia after the "Bradley Incident". Wherein a person can have seemingly innocuous symptoms for a long time, e.g., night sweats, only to find out 2 years down the line they have to get their affairs in order.

This is deep, paranoid obsessing which is infrequent. As I am a fatalist about death anyhoo.

I guess, I just wanted to hear more about others experience and if anyone else has nightsweats without hotflashes, that kind of thing. Keep an ongoing dialogue about the matter.

It does bother me that I will go for a week or two with no sweats, then sweat galore. But then I think, "well, that would be consistent with a hormonal cycle abnormality or change such as entering or being in menopause."

It's not keeping me up at night, beyond the fact that it DOES keep me up at night when I wake up drenched.

What is also noteworthy and perhaps merely coincidental, when I wake up drenched in sweat, it is my head and neck only and, the significant part, usually accompanied by a very highly emotionally charged dream.  ;)

Brain defenestration.

I'll bet girls on Saturn don't even have girl parts. That would be cool.

S9

Yeah, those Saturn girls have it easy.

I'm 47 and I've been in perimenopause forever. It started with night sweats about 5 years ago. After that my periods became unpredictable, then I started getting hot flashes during the day. Just recently I have been freezing in between the sweating episodes at night.

It can hit you at any age, regardless of family history. My mother had a short menopause around age 60 and my older sis is just beginning to get symptoms. I'm going to try the black cohosh and/or the soy milk. I hope we both get some relief,

Praxis

Archived