CrazyBoards.org
lisa2712

My Father and I Don't Get Along

Hi,

My father and I don't get along. We spent 90% of our time together in our small house. I'm trying to find a volunteer job, but so far it hasn't come about. I'm going to see a talk therapist soon, but I'm not sure when exactly. My mom says this is all in my head, and my father isn't doing anything wrong. BTW, I don't have the money to move out. 

Is there a medicine that can help me with this situation, that won't make me gain weight? I know Abilify helped me with this situation, but it made me want to eat, so I went off it. I really don't want to gain the weight I have lost, and I need to lose 100 lbs. I know Antipsychotics can help, but most of them make one gain weight. I have problems tolerating Lamictal 150 mg and up; I only tolerate 125 mg. Depakote made me very tired, and fat too, I think.

I was thinking of trying Thorazine, or Trileptal, but I'd have to see another psychiatrist for those meds. 

28 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Why don't you and your dad get along?

I don't know. My guess is that He's sick and tired of me. In my view, it seems like he hasn't liked me in years. If you ask my mother, she would refute this, and say it's all in  my head, and that my father loves me and I have a warped or unfounded perspective on this. He once yelled at me that my mother and him had to give up their whole lives for me. I'm 36, he's 70. He started acting this way after he turned 70. IMO, he's been very anxious, depressed, and miserable, and it got worse after he turned 70. We also spend way too much time together in a small house. I'm looking for a volunteer job. My dream is to get away from him. 

I tend to be neurotic, and if someone around me all the time (like my dad) acts nervous and neurotic and depressed, it makes my anxiety worse. My mother told me that my father may be depressed and anxious, but it shouldn't bother me if he is. I asked him, and he said he isn't depressed. She says it's all in my head and I need to talk to a therapist, which I am going to do. Tomorrow I'm signing up to talk to a therapist, but I don't know when I can see one, because they're crowded. 

Also, when I was on Abilify, my dad didn't bother me that much. But I went of the med because I would have probably gained weight on it. I'm obese and I need to lose weight. 

Thank you for your concern. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, argh said:

can you add some topamax for your weight?

My psychiatric PA didn’t mention that. 

Just now, lisa2712 said:

My psychiatric PA didn’t mention that. 

Might be worth a shot. It's common to add that to address antipsychotic weight gain. Could also have some positive impacts to your mood

All in your head. Gurr! It's true of course but not in the way your mother probably means it. Where else would it be? If only you could see the objective and sane reality which doesn't exist except in the heads of people who are deluded enough to think that they're sane. All in your head. Sorry, it just pisses me off when people say that because it displays such an ignorance about the human condition. Like they've never payed any attention to what's going on inside their own heads. But I suppose critically analysing your own thoughts is a fruitless endeavour which probably means that you're mentally ill. Sooo... I might have made a point in there somewhere and whatever it was it's probably important.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

All in your head. Gurr! It's true of course but not in the way your mother probably means it. Where else would it be? If only you could see the objective and sane reality which doesn't exist except in the heads of people who are deluded enough to think that they're sane. All in your head. Sorry, it just pisses me off when people say that because it displays such an ignorance about the human condition. Like they've never payed any attention to what's going on inside their own heads. But I suppose critically analysing your own thoughts is a fruitless endeavour which probably means that you're mentally ill. Sooo... I might have made a point in there somewhere and whatever it was it's probably important.

My mother tells me I need to see a talk therapist to change my thinking about this which I am going to do. At times, I wish I could see my father from her point of view, and not have him bother me. But we are different people. My mother says she wants peace in the home, and I want that too. I am going to re-try Abilify to help me deal with living with my dad , but I went off it before because of weight gain and cravings. 

My mom has a good side, but she also has her faults, I guess.