CrazyBoards.org

Will a company come after me via court system or the cops at my house if I don’t update a credit card on file with them or refuse to? I’ve emailed them and they told me to call. I told them to close my account permanently. I could call but I fear the phone. I don’t want to be arrested though or have people come after me or follow me around to get (or rather steal) my information. I don’t know what to do. I don’t owe them money. I don’t know why they want a credit card on file? Makes no sense to me. 

If you don’t owe them money, and feel you can close the account, then it sounds like bullying you for a credit card on file could be a scam. I would absolutely not do that, and I don’t see where they’d have *any* legal right to demand so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:
40 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Will a company come after me via court system or the cops at my house if I don’t update a credit card on file with them or refuse to? I’ve emailed them and they told me to call. I told them to close my account permanently. I could call but I fear the phone. I don’t want to be arrested though or have people come after me or follow me around to get (or rather steal) my information. I don’t know what to do. I don’t owe them money. I don’t know why they want a credit card on file? Makes no sense to me. 

If you don't owe this company any money, you have no legal obligation to update your credit card with them.

I agree with Rabbit, I think they are trying to bully/scam you.........If you have no interest in having an account with them anymore, I agree that closing the account would be best.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Thanks 1

In thinking about it also, I would advise you to write a concise letter stating you want the account closed, and have a cc: at the bottom to the better business bureau. You can get delivery confirmation on the letter too at the post office if you send it first class, so you have proof they received it. Not only is a phone call stressful, but you might not get anywhere with it. A long time ago I decided to cancel my Discover card... apparently they train their operators to simply hang up on you or get verbally nasty when you try to do so. It’s outrageous. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

If you don't owe this company any money, you have no legal obligation to update your credit card with them.

I agree with Rabbit, I think they are trying to bully/scam you.........If you have no interest in having an account with them anymore, I agree that closing the account would be best.

23 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

In thinking about it also, I would advise you to write a concise letter stating you want the account closed, and have a cc: at the bottom to the better business bureau. You can get delivery confirmation on the letter too at the post office if you send it first class, so you have proof they received it. Not only is a phone call stressful, but you might not get anywhere with it. A long time ago I decided to cancel my Discover card... apparently they train their operators to simply hang up on you or get verbally nasty when you try to do so. It’s outrageous. 

OK I will bite the bullet and call today to cancel my account and see how far I can get. I hope this will solve it, but if I have to I will send a letter like you suggested @Rabbit37. And BTW I cannot believe a well known card company like Discover would do such things! How awful and outrageous! OMG!

• Like 2

Definitely a scam. I don’t think anyone can force you to give them your cc.  What if you’ve cancelled all your ccs?? Pfft, they can stuff it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did it! I called and they said my account was already cancelled? So good! And I stood up for myself and told them I no longer wanted any emails from them either so she took care of that for me. She was actually very nice. Which I was not expecting! So all should be well now! Phew what a relief! And I didn’t even have to wait or be put on hold to wait to speak to someone! I got connected right away! Go figure!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I did it! 

Congrats, Cheese......You stood up for yourself and it worked out......Yay..!!!!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Congrats, Cheese......You stood up for yourself and it worked out......Yay..!!!!

Thanks CRH! I appreciate it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I did it! I called and they said my account was already cancelled? So good! And I stood up for myself and told them I no longer wanted any emails from them either so she took care of that for me. She was actually very nice. Which I was not expecting! So all should be well now! Phew what a relief! And I didn’t even have to wait or be put on hold to wait to speak to someone! I got connected right away! Go figure!

Yay! I catastrophize sometimes too, often ending in much ado about nothing. 

So happy, that must feel very empowering. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DammitJanet said:

Yay! I catastrophize sometimes too, often ending in much ado about nothing. 

So happy, that must feel very empowering. 

Awww thanks DJ! Yes, I definitely did catastrophize! And yes, it did feel good and empowering to get it over with and done!

• Like 1