CrazyBoards.org
Raspberry

Dutch teenager legally euthanised after being abused as a child following long battle with mental health

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

@DammitJanet, don’t pm me. If you have something to say, say it. 

So block my pm’s. Don’t come waltzing in trying to correct my perceptions in an already complicated thread after not acknowledging my existence for over six months. There. Happy?

My issue with you was completely off topic for this thread. It belonged in a pm. Excessive drama is definitely not needed in this particular thread. 

Edited by DammitJanet
  • Like 1

I did block your pm’s, I didn’t come waltzing in, and I don’t give a flying fuck about acknowledging your existence.

i miss the old days of CB where no one walked on eggshells. 

• Like 3

That's not what I meant. I meant just because it is the law, it doesn't automatically make it just. There are many parts of the law that are not just, and yet they are still legal. My brother has anorexia nervosa and has had it for over 20 years. The forced treatments did absolutely nothing but further traumatise him. You cannot force anyone to recover. And the more you do, the less they will want it and the less they believe in its possibility. The more they will associate being traumatised and having their human rights deprived with engaging with services for their disorder. 

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

That's not what I meant. I meant just because it is the law, it doesn't automatically make it just. There are many parts of the law that are not just, and yet they are still legal. My brother has anorexia nervosa and has had it for over 20 years. The forced treatments did absolutely nothing but further traumatise him. You cannot force anyone to recover. And the more you do, the less they will want it and the less they believe in its possibility. The more they will associate being traumatised and having their human rights deprived with engaging with services for their disorder. 

There are many anorexics who have recovered and gone on to live good lives.......Would you rather have had your brother starve himself to death with no treatment at all?

Forced treatment is somewhat traumatic, but what if it allowed that person to live, work through their issues, and eventually recover?

It's true that you can't force someone to recover, but keeping them alive at least gives them a chance.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Again, not what I said. I said you cannot force someone to recover. Forced treatment is not going into recovery. Going into recovery is a decision you have to make yourself, if you don't relapse is inevitable and imminent. It is about taking responsibility and having accountability for your disorder. Taking back power over your disorder and being willing to make a change. When someone else intervenes upon your disorder, it is not your decision. Recovery has to be your decision. Yes, I understand that there are cases wherein forced treatment is appropriate, but it is no way equivalent to actual recovery. 

As for my brother, this may sound harsh but his anorexia nervosa is his anorexia nervosa. It isn't my responsibility and it means fuck all what I think he should do about it. All I can do is provide an outside perspective to him and be there for him when he asks for advice or just someone to listen. Whether he recovers is not in my hands and I accept that. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

When someone else intervenes upon your disorder, it is not your decision. Recovery has to be your decision. Yes, I understand that there are cases wherein forced treatment is appropriate, but it is no way equivalent to actual recovery. 

In what types of cases/situations, do you think that forced treatment is appropriate?.......Just curious....

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 2

I believe it is appropriate when the person has previously made a claim that they want to live and have a life where their disorder is not active, and when it has been discussed prior when the person was at a better state cognitively in order to be able to understand the consequences of their disorder and where they lead, as well as the capacity to take responsibility for the fact forced treatment is the consequence of their disorder. Like a relapse prevention and management plan. 

I also believe it is appropriate if the person doesn't have that capacity, IF the family and treatment team accept that the person could be traumatised by it and that it is not a cure for their disorder, and act accordingly. Stop treating the person's disorder as if it is theirs and as if they know it all. Be willing to be confronted by the person about how their decision impacted the person and not guilt trip. 

• Thanks 1

All -

This topic deals with life-and-death issues, and as such it naturally provokes strong opinions. The Moderating Team feels that the discussion has been a bit overheated, and that it may be in everyone's best interest for us to lock the thread, at least temporarily, to give everyone a chance to reflect, and to cool down. We will revisit it at a future date.

Cerberus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1