CrazyBoards.org

I clicked on a video of The Pixies performing Gouge Away live (good performance but that's not Kim on bass so it's not really The Pixies.) And there were comments by people in their 60's saying how they still love The Pixies. That's about right if you do the maths. 30 years since Doolittle was released so sure some fans will be in their 60's by now. Seems strange to think of someone in their 60's screaming along to the Pixies though. Cookie I think you're tame. TAAAAAAME! Grandma's got a tatooed tit, says number 13. None of which will make any sense if you aren't familiar with the Pixies' oeuvre (oeuvre is a fancy way of saying songs if you want to sound like a smug twat). But I'm approaching 40 and I remember when that seemed ancient. I should've grown a moustache by now and be wearing socks with sandals, like my father before me. And the whores like a choir, ugh, ugh. I told the tale of a girl but I call her a woman she's a little bit older than me, strong legs, strong face, voice like milk breasts like a cluster of grapes, I can't escape her ways she raised me. It just seems strange that someone's grandparent could be a Pixies fan. Slicing up eyeballs! Ok calm down grandpa.

• Like 2

Okay. Well, I’m 56... I felt old back in ‘99 or so, I saw The Rolling Stones, and instead of the crowd flicking their bic, they’re holding up their cell phones... um, do I need to explain “flicking their bic?” Oh god, spellcheck is trying to correct me, it doesn’t even know bic? 

But I was into nirvana, not pixies... 

• Like 2

I'm 50, and remember being 19 and the revelation of Surfer Rosa when it came out in 1988. I was, as it happens, coming down from something in my boyfriend's apartment when he played Where Is My Mind, way before Fight Club made it popular, and it seemed apt and amazing. I've since seen them 3 or 4 times live, each time after I was 30, and have generally never been the oldest there even in recent years, though there is always a mix of ages down to 18 year olds.I think we instinctively feel like it's weird for 60 year olds or really anyone over early 30s to see live music and really get into it, or get into music at all, but fuck what other people think, I'm gonna keep going to shows. I'm of an age when some of my musical crushes are almost 25 years older, and some 25 years younger. It's all good. There's an amusing scene in the Pixies documentary from like 15 years ago where Charles' wife is making fun of him for driving the step kids around in a minivan, joking about how sinister and cool he looks in it. When I saw them in the early 2000s and I was teaching I remember thinking that Kim Deal didn't look like a rocker, she looked like an adjunct professor like me. 

And I agree that the Pixies without Kim on bass are not really The Pixies. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

Okay. Well, I’m 56... I felt old back in ‘99 or so, I saw The Rolling Stones, and instead of the crowd flicking their bic, they’re holding up their cell phones... um, do I need to explain “flicking their bic?” Oh god, spellcheck is trying to correct me, it doesn’t even know bic? 

But I was into nirvana, not pixies... 

I'm the same age as you, Rabbit.......And I long for the days when people held up their lighters (bics) at concerts,  instead of their cell phones......**SIGH**.......Holding up the cell phones just isn't the same.......

• Like 1

People hold up phones instead of lighters now?  That's just plain weird.  

I love the Pixies, i still listen to them.  They are part of my growing up soundtrack.  I remember using "I Bleed" as the basis for a college project on the effect of musical dissonance.  

I am 45, should i feel old?  Im not sure.  I will admit i dont listen to much that was made after the late 90's and early 00's.  It seems like music became less interesting after those decades.

Wait, i think it might have been Dead and not I Bleed.  Something off Doolittle for sure.  Doesn't really matter, it was a very long time ago.  But both still great songs...

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Complicated toad said:

I will admit i dont listen to much that was made after the late 90's and early 00's.  It seems like music became less interesting after those decades.

Same here..... I think that the quality of music these days has gone down greatly.....I like that old time rock n roll........Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, one of my favorites:

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

Yep.

mine:

Love Lynyrd Skynyrd, too.......!!....Awesome song.....Nothing today can hold a candle to this...!!

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 1:43 AM, Complicated toad said:

People hold up phones instead of lighters now?  That's just plain weird.  

I love the Pixies, i still listen to them.  They are part of my growing up soundtrack.  I remember using "I Bleed" as the basis for a college project on the effect of musical dissonance.  

I am 45, should i feel old?  Im not sure.  I will admit i dont listen to much that was made after the late 90's and early 00's.  It seems like music became less interesting after those decades.

I totally miss the lighters! When I listen to music from that era (80s-early 00's) I also feel old and so damn nostalgic. Music really defined the times. I used to be obsessed with music and just stopped getting into it especially now with the sh*t kids are listening to (I'm sure my parents said the same about the rock I listened to 20-30 years ago). It's really strange when you meet kids that aren't familiar with Nirvana, or any real bands from the 70s-early 00's. Those bands are considered "classic" I guess..many of them are basically retiring.

I really can't think of any music from today that will withstand the test of time. It's all derivative, watered down, any good riffs & melodies are straight up copied from the past. No thought-provoking or intelligable lyrics. No real singing. No real musicianship. Sad.

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1

I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist 😂 whether we love it or hate it, it’ll be remembered.

i do have to admit, I kinda like some rap, or can at least listen to it with some appreciation. My 19yo son is obsessed with it, and with the constant insistence of me listening to this and that video, he’s also explaining where some of these artists have come from, the culture they’ve grown up with and dealt with, and what their music means now. It made me realize that in that aspect, really, times haven’t changed. My dad thought David Bowie was absolute garbage (okay, maybe I shouldn’t have played my 45 of “fame” for three hours straight), but his music (like nirvana and others) dealt with the problems youth struggled with at the time. 

I definitely agree tho, too little music really stands alone. Can’t think of anything even coming close to Stairway to Heaven. I do wonder what the “golden oldies” from the 2010’s will sound like in the future. 

And don’t even get me started on the subject of movie sequels these days. There are no more original ideas apparently, just one rehash after another, hoping for more money. To hell with art, apparently.