CrazyBoards.org

Posted (edited)

I want to streamline my meds. I don’t want to be taken so many medications. I’m not sure how to approach this. I see online a lot of times a good thing to do is have a pharmacist review your meds. I guess that can be your local pharmacist or the pharmacist from your prescription company. I’ve mentioned to pdoc, he’s reluctant, I can bring up again. 

Anyone else feel this way? Have you taken steps to reduce meds? If so what worked?

I’m currently on six psych meds

i was able to get trintellix stopped a few months ago.

Edited by looking for answers
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

I want to streamline my meds. I don’t want to be taken so many medications. I’m not sure how to approach this. I see online a lot of times a good thing to do is have a pharmacist review your meds. I guess that can be your local pharmacist or the pharmacist from your prescription company. I’ve mentioned to pdoc, he’s reluctant, I can bring up again. 

Anyone else feel this way? Have you taken steps to reduce meds? If so what worked?

I’m currently on six psych meds

i was able to get trintellix stopped a few months ago.

The thing is it’s really a case by case situation since everyone has a different cost/benefit with certain meds? What 6 are you on? 

• Like 1

Just now, Iceberg said:

The thing is it’s really a case by case situation since everyone has a different cost/benefit with certain meds? What 6 are you on? 

Lithium, Wellbutrin, vyvanse, seroquel, trazadone, klonopin

1 minute ago, looking for answers said:

Lithium, Wellbutrin, vyvanse, seroquel, trazadone, klonopin

i know its case by case as well

I guess the question should be, are you stable on these meds? If so do you feel overmedicated in terms of like being wired all the time or tired all the time? Or is it more along the lines of holy shit im taking a literal handful of pills everyday?

i felt that way myself the last time i had to travel, 4 rx and an antihistamine to deal with one or two of the meds. Yeah it was a pain to pack and yeah i thought to myself, holy shit I expected to be on just a single antidepressant and maybe for like 6 months when I went to get help nearly two years ago.

truth of it all, id rather take 5 meds on top of all the supplements i take, if i can avoid what haunted me and finally broke me after about 20 years.

just my 2 cents of course  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, argh said:

I guess the question should be, are you stable on these meds? If so do you feel overmedicated in terms of like being wired all the time or tired all the time? Or is it more along the lines of holy shit im taking a literal handful of pills everyday?

i felt that way myself the last time i had to travel, 4 rx and an antihistamine to deal with one or two of the meds. Yeah it was a pain to pack and yeah i thought to myself, holy shit I expected to be on just a single antidepressant and maybe for like 6 months when I went to get help nearly two years ago.

truth of it all, id rather take 5 meds on top of all the supplements i take, if i can avoid what haunted me and finally broke me after about 20 years.

just my 2 cents of course  

HOLY SHIT  im taking a handful of pills daily. Also a bit flat, i dont think i need them all, but yes stable.

i agree if it is what u need, u keep it. no doubt, dont wanna go back into hell

takc on supplements most from DR. I have CBD, magnesium, B2, melatonin, metamucil, exlax, miralax, protonix

Thats fair. With my pdoc, his policy is that once im stable i need to be stable for a year before peeling back anything. His ultimate goal for me is to have Lamotrigine as monotherapy. 

Is that reasonable in your case? Be stable without major med changes the start peeling them back?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, argh said:

Thats fair. With my pdoc, his policy is that once im stable i need to be stable for a year before peeling back anything. His ultimate goal for me is to have Lamotrigine as monotherapy. 

Is that reasonable in your case? Be stable without major med changes the start peeling them back?

it is and i have beeen for about 5-6 months, i just wish he'd say soemthing like that to me

Id say try that angle if you end up bringing it up.

he didnt as much say it to me outright as an offer. It was him responding to my request to pare down my meds.

• Like 1

Just now, argh said:

Id say try that angle if you end up bringing it up.

he didnt as much say it to me outright as an offer. It was him responding to my request to pare down my meds.

worth a try thank u

To me your meds don’t seem super redundant- but at the same time I’ve experienced that reducing meds can actually make you better instead of destabilizing you. One time I went inpatient and a good part of it was eliminating unnecessary stuff. I agree with above that it can’t hurt to bring up options with your pdoc- or at least that your unhappy with the current situation...but it’s really important that you have a plan not only for what to reduce and how fast, but also what to do if things go wrong and you need to quickly address returning symptoms 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

To me your meds don’t seem super redundant- but at the same time I’ve experienced that reducing meds can actually make you better instead of destabilizing you. One time I went inpatient and a good part of it was eliminating unnecessary stuff. I agree with above that it can’t hurt to bring up options with your pdoc- or at least that your unhappy with the current situation...but it’s really important that you have a plan not only for what to reduce and how fast, but also what to do if things go wrong and you need to quickly address returning symptoms 

I absolutely agree on the plan. I wanna get off the lithium

and streamline sleep meds

• Like 1

3 hours ago, looking for answers said:

I absolutely agree on the plan. I wanna get off the lithium

and streamline sleep meds

You'll likely need to go up on the Seroquel to at least 300-400 mg if you get off your lithium.

I was gonna say that two of your meds (Seroquel and trazodone) are sleep meds to my understanding (at least that's how they're dosed). I wouldn't really consider those psych meds per se, even though they may be having a psychotropic effect.

I’m assuming this is the same pdoc who has prescribed all the meds? 

Maybe in looking at your meds, do a reverse approach, and discuss “why was this med added”. When I left an extremely incompetent pdoc (who looked frighteningly like trump, bad toupee and all) a decade ago, my current pdoc, who is conservative, took this approach. Figuring out what complaint I had for the reason the med was added, and seeing if maybe a completely different med could take the place of two, or maybe bumping dosage on one could eliminate the need for another. It took a while, granted, not an overnight process. 

While I was productive on seven meds, I agree that’s a lot. But it all comes down to, what will keep you stable. Good luck.

I'm only on 5 meds, and my current pdoc doesn't seem to want to change any of them for something different, that might work better .........I am looking for another doc.

Of course, I'm in a different situation than @looking for answers, because I'm not stable at all.

7 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

You'll likely need to go up on the Seroquel to at least 300-400 mg if you get off your lithium.

I was gonna say that two of your meds (Seroquel and trazodone) are sleep meds to my understanding (at least that's how they're dosed). I wouldn't really consider those psych meds per se, even though they may be having a psychotropic effect.

See that’s the the thing. I truly don’t believe I’m bipolar. I wasn’t having success with typical depression meds. So a 2nd opinion doc said u must be bipolar stop all ur meds cold turkey, start seroquel and go to an iop. There they didn’t do much. I asked for lithium as an adjunct for depression, it pulled me out of hell but didn’t fix things . Since then many meds added and changed. But the lithium stays because, I must be bipolar. Current pdoc will say I don’t think ur bipolar, therapist says she doesn’t think I’m bipolar. Then when I ask off of it he says wel you may go manic. I’ve NEVER been manic. They said once maybe my anxiety was my mania. I think I just had a terrible depressive episode, and it took getting creative to get out. I’m still not perfect. But zero bipolar signs.

Rant over. Anyways why would I up seroquel. That , klonopin, trazadone are all for sleep

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I'm only on 5 meds, and my current pdoc doesn't seem to want to change any of them for something different, that might work better .........I am looking for another doc.

Of course, I'm in a different situation than @looking for answers, because I'm not stable at all.

Ugh I’m sorry to hear that. Are you under commerical

insurance?

2 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

Ugh I’m sorry to hear that. Are you under commerical

insurance?

I'm on a Medicare Advantage Plan....

10 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I'm on a Medicare Advantage Plan....

so usually dont they have a "directory" of approved doctors?

I looked at ones close to me, checked google reviews, vitals.com, webmd.com, healthgrades.com  reviews

Reviews are tough for psychiatry because there are alot of persons that arent stable , upset, and writing scathing reviews. I look for the ones that have notes of compassion, brilliance in there, and take the the bad with a grain of salt. I also looked for ones with MORE overall reviews, and time practicing. When i wasnt stable i wanted someone with experience, experience treating hard to treat symptoms.

Early on my pdoc mentioned ECT. This irritated me to go there so quickly. Because he based it on others trials. But I calmly said to him, i dont want ECT, I am not doing ECT. I want a doctor who will look over this list of 30 meds i have already tried. THey werent given fair trials, they werent used in combination, etc. I want someone to work with me to go back over things, and try new things to find a solution. Without a pause he said well ok lets look at that list. Unfortunately my Pdoc is 77 years old. He wont be practicing forever, which is gonna suck.

what routes have you chose for trying to find a new pdoc

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

so usually dont they have a "directory" of approved doctors?

Yes....in order for them to cover, a doc has to be "in network" with my plan.

18 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

what routes have you chose for trying to find a new pdoc

I called my insurance company, and they e-mailed me a list of in network docs in my area.....Unfortunately, all them have waiting lists.......So, I'm on 3-4 waiting lists, checking periodically to see if any openings.....

Edited by CrazyRedhead

1 minute ago, looking for answers said:

?

I just edited it above.....Sorry, a glitch happened.