Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

For 3 months!

For those who don’t know my situation, I live in a building which is part of the HUD program, which just got bought from a company that has been acquiring affordable housing buildings for...whatever reasons. Philanthropy? 

So it’s 14 floors, and they’re down to floors 5 and 6, and they want to finish us before initial schedule which was in December. 

Sooo they held meetings with us this week, informing us all (floors 1-4) that sometime in July (they’re moving one floor per week so my floor will be last, floor 1), we’ll be sent to what they described as nice, Hilton hotels. 

So I only caught the name of one with my wandering brain...I took their word initially that it’d be this nice suite, kitchenette, couch, nice, clean, place. 

Then, last night, I got a little excited and wanted to see what this place looked like...BOOM. The reviews sickened me, sent me so far through the roof that I took enough Xanax to (typically) would send me fast to sleep nearly immediately. 

Three quarters of the reviews complained about being completely infested with roaches, some also said ants. That it was filthy upon arrival. That it’s in a bad part of town with cops showing up on the daily. That the walls are paper thin and someone is always having very loud fights or loud sex. That there were used feminine hygiene products in the bathroom garbage. Pubic hairs on the toilet. Filthy, sticky floors. Thick dust on the tv, lamp shades, etc. Black mold. No towels or other personal hygiene items such as TP, soap, shampoo,. 100% of the reviews said the person would never stay at this place again, several said they want their money back, others stating “Beware! Do not stay here!” 

So...my legal question is this: Is it legal for a HUD building owner (mind you, HUD has strict standards as far as health codes such as bug infestations, etc) to send their tenants to a place with all of these health hazards for an extended period of time?

I realize this isn’t the best place to ask, but I know many people sound very legal savvy from reading, and I’m more comfortable to at least use this place as a starting point. 

Since @Velvet Elvis is familiar with the area I reside in, I’ll address him as well, hoping he knows anything about these laws locally.

 I. Am. Terrified! Anxious where I’m crawling out of my SKIN. 

You must realize...roaches are my #1 most feared insect!

Anyone? Please, help.

 

Edited by DammitJanet
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

     So...my legal question is this: Is it legal for a HUD building owner (mind you, HUD has strict standards as far as health codes such as bug infestations, etc) to send their tenants to a place with all of these health hazards for an extended period of time?

Anyone? Please, help.

Regarding the first question--I don't really know whether it's legal or not for HUD building owner to do this..........To find out more, you could call the Nashville HUD office...All contact numbers included in the link:  https://www.hud.gov/states/tennessee/working/nashvilleoffice

I did find the Tennessee Health Department's minimum qualifications that a hotel must meet:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/health/documents/1200-23-04.pdf

I didn't read the whole document, but it does address rodent and insect control on page 3 of the pdf.

Hope this helps.......I wish I knew more......I'm very sorry that the conditions in the hotel are so bad.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Regarding the first question--I don't really know whether it's legal or not for HUD building owner to do this..........To find out more, you could call the Nashville HUD office...All contact numbers included in the link:  https://www.hud.gov/states/tennessee/working/nashvilleoffice

I did find the Tennessee Health Department's minimum qualifications that a hotel must meet:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/health/documents/1200-23-04.pdf

I didn't read the whole document, but it does address rodent and insect control on page 3 of the pdf.

Hope this helps.......I wish I knew more......I'm very sorry that the conditions in the hotel are so bad.

Thank you! I will go to the hotel and ask to see a room...although they’ll surely have a “show room” that’s picture perfect...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Thank you! I will go to the hotel and ask to see a room...although they’ll surely have a “show room” that’s picture perfect...

Yes, I think that's a good idea to visit first, and see for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Yes, I think that's a good idea to visit first, and see for yourself.

Yeah...like I said though, it’s probably a “model room” ...especially after reading all the reviews. I can’t deal with this shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

I can’t deal with this shit. 

Do you know for sure that this is the one you'll be staying at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CrazyRedhead said:

Do you know for sure that this is the one you'll be staying at?

They’ve lined up 2 Hilton properties, this is one of them. She said two, but this is the one I can remember. I doubt the other one is going to be much if any better...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that the only people who leave reviews are people with bad experiences.  

Where is it exactly?  Is this one of the ones off Harding?  

At least it's not Stadium Inn.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Velvet Elvis said:

Keep in mind that the only people who leave reviews are people with bad experiences.  

Where is it exactly?  Is this one of the ones off Harding?  

At least it's not Stadium Inn.  
 

 

Allllll of the reviews and there are tons of them said the same things...near the airport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody bothers leaving reviews that say "eh, it was OK I guess."  Reviews come from people who were either:

1. Overwhelmingly impressed

2. disgusted

3. paid

The affordable housing shortage in this area is insane, and that's with a $1k 1BR defined as "affordable."  We're in a slum that only goes at below market rate because it's nowhere close to meeting codes.   I need to be within reasonable Uber range of VUMC so we don't really have any other choice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realized I think I hope I was looking at the wrong hotel...I just remembered “hometown” in the name, but just realized the one I was reading was owned by red roof properties not Hilton. I so hope I’m right...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don’t you contact your landlords and ask which hotels? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I did finally get the opportunity to talk to another resident who gave me both of the names. Now I’m much less alarmed. 

I googled homewood suites and somehow got directed to a red roof property. 

Feeling much better now. 

Edited by DammitJanet
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sugarsugar said:

That’s reassuring. Do they seem nicer?

Much! Thanks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...