CrazyBoards.org

just diagnosed...

On thursday I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. goody. thats exactly what I need. maybe NOT.  I wish it would have been arthritus because then there are things you can do about it. but nope.... i'm in the chronic pain family now.  well i have been for a while but now i'm an official life long member. SUCK.

Are you kidding? There are lots of things you can do for fibro that will help. Yes it is a pain related illness. But there are so many things you can do to help yourself stay healthy and fit.

Diet: get into a healthy diet. If you search on line I am sure you will find sites that tell you what is good and what isn't. The obvious is that fruits and veggies are the best, and junk food is the worst.

Sleep: Are you aware this is a sleep disorder disease? So a sleep pattern that is consistent and does not waiver, no matter what, is critical. You have to have the same bed time every night, and wake the same time every morning. Once a week you should try and get really rested. Sleep in. If the light bothers you? Buy blinders. If noise bothers you? Ear plugs. If you have problems with anxiety at night? Listen to soothing music on head phones. I don't have fibro and I do this every night.

Exercise: This may be the most important. You need to MOVE. I know the thought of it hurts. I have chronic back pain and I have been ordered by my doc to move MORE. I am stoked. After 12 days of consistent exercise, I am feeling better already. Start slow. Since spring is about here ( I seem to recall you live in a colder climate?) try walking. Just short walks at first. Work your way up. Take some advil before you start anything. You most likely will be moving muscles that haven't been worked in a while. They get sore, you get frustrated. So advil really helps to ease that. Walking, swimming is the best, and yoga. Yoga can help you to stretch your muscles, thereby easing the pain, and the meditation part is wonderful. There are many classes offered for people in pain.

This should be enough to start. Fibromyalgia does NOT have to be a sentence to constant pain and a boring life. I know you have a lot of issues medically and MI wise. BUT - you can do this. And it just might help some other things along the way.

Breeze

Arthritis at your age would have probably been RA... causing joint damage, needing immuno suppressants/prednisone/etc.

Fibro is complicated, but not a death sentence.

I have cfs, which is closley related to fibro.  After about a year of treatment from a very good doctor, I am almost back to normal.  (My profile shows some of the things I take.)

My doctor uses some of the techniquest advocated by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum who hosts confrences, etc. and also wrote this wonderful book that really helped me to understand what was happening in my body.  I highly reccomend reading it, if only to understand the complexity of fibro, and the wide variety of treatments available to you.  It has a cheesy title, but it is a good read and has been invaluable to me.  From Fatigued to Fantastic!: A Proven Program to Regain Vibrant Health, Based on a New Scientific Study Showing Effective Treatment for Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia

good luck

penny

Thanks for the replies.  I'll check out the book Penny.  I start pool therapy on April 5th.  I hope it works out.  fibro has been bad lately but i'm hanging in there.  its hard because i really don't have very sympathetic staff at the group  home when it comes to having bad days.  They don't believe me when I say sometimes it hurts so bad i can barely stand up, or sit up.  Even with a diagnosis from a doctor.  Anyways... I better go i'm running out of time on the computer.  <3 Kaylani

Hey Febreze. My mom was just diagnosed in Feb with fibro. Finally a diagnosis! What has helped her - consistant sleep, a mild muscle relaxer as needed, exercise, and mostly lexapro. For some reason it, that one helped the most for her leg pain. I'm not sure how or why it works, but it does. Hang in there, from what I understand it comes and goes and is greatly managable once you find out what works for you. Good luck,

Croix

• 1 year later...

I was diagnosed with fibromylagia, last year, and it isnt as scary or untreatable as you think..I mean I havent found anything that has worked so far, but I havent tried a lot of things...I would recomment Fibromyalgia for dummies, a very good resourceful book...contrary to the name lol.

Archived