CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
confused

increased dp/dr

I used to have many short episodes of dp/dr where I would feel like I was waking from a dream, but it was real.  I know everything that is going on and who I am.  I may lose pieces of a conversation but not much.  It startles me. It used to scare me. Now, I know it is dissociation and with me it gets worse with anxiety.  I still have a lot of anxiety but it is much better than in the past.  And, the dissociation decreased.

Lately, it has been popping up, but at unusual times. It happens in the computer lab at work which is not stressful to monitor the computer use.  Today it happened at a group event but it makes more sense. There were many people in the room.

My tdoc is retiring and i got real antsy looking for someone new.  I finally decided to put the search on hold. She does not retire until Dec.  But, I feel anxious. Like, I am worried about making a mistake.

I guess it is increased anxiety.  Everything seemed far away and foggy in a support group I go to. It was pretty crowded. I ended up leaving, I felt uncomfortable. This week, there were few people but we all were talking about anxiety. I felt more anxious as I was describing it. I had a similar experience as the other night.

I am not sure if this is the best place to post. I don't know how to calm my anxiety.  It is better when I am busy and distracted

It' happens when I get anxious also.  Not all the time--but when it's at its worst.  I went to lunch with work people for the first time and it definitely happened.   But I can still talk during it, I just feel like I'm looking at myself while doing it.  I dont' know if that's similar or not.

All I've found that helps is to try to phyically ground myself.  Things like feet on the floor, hands on the chair or table, etc.  The sensory stuff isn't good enough because then i check out on the conversation.

• Like 1

I still lose parts of conversations but tactile grounding helps me, too.  Thank you

sure...wish I had more ideas.  My tdoc had me tracking what was triggering it for a while, but the only common predictor we came up with is high anxiety situations, which you already know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

sure...wish I had more ideas.  My tdoc had me tracking what was triggering it for a while, but the only common predictor we came up with is high anxiety situations, which you already know.

Yes, I tried tracking and that was the only consistent thing. I guess I am more anxious than I realize.

Yes, it's been the same for me.  Cops came once to my house asking about the neighbor issues.  Full on watching myself from above and behind my head.  No idea what I was saying, and I could tell my mouth was moving and I must have made sense because the cop left.  I could hear myself but it was like I was on autopilot.  It used to happen quite a bit and needless to say very scary.  I'm happy to say that since I have worked on reducing stress and treating my anxiety with meds, after a time of maybe a couple of years the episodes seemed to reduce in frequency.  It's been a long time since it's happened to the level that is very noticeable to me.  Now it seems to manifest in a form where I just feel sort of "off" or out of it for a day.  Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I simply cannot "see" the [potential] reward of watching a movie I haven't watched before, because I might not like it. Hence I don't/can't watch new films or listen to new music for that matter. This is really bad but it takes a backseat to my other problems TBH.

However, I can listen to new authors via audiobook (sometimes) and try out new podcasts - as long as they're genres I like (which is reasonable for Normals I'd hazard to say). But even that I find literally impossible most of the time. Like trying a new pod will somehow kill me (BTW an irrational fear of rapid, autopilot-style suicide is the source of my OCD).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.add.music.to.video&hl=en_US