CrazyBoards.org

YIPPEE! MY HAIR'S GROWING BACK!

No, this isn't about the Hair Club for Men.

Have written about the GYNO from hell in both the "M is for Menopause" and "Lamictal and OCP" threads. Here's an update.

YIPPEE!!! MY HAIR'S GROWING BACK!

Twenty-one days into super-duper hormone replacement therapy, and there's been a little bit of hair growing back for almost a week. So far, it's in the area where my hairline had been receding the most, where my part met my hairline. It's like little fuzz growing on a baby's head. I love it!

What I don't love: the idiot OB-GYN I'd dealt with. What a jerk! I finally got his notes he'd written to my internist. What a plethora of bullshit! So many factual errors, I lost count.

I've dealt many times with notes/letters from busy professionals like doctors, lawyers, CEOs, etc. I can accept a few insignificant errors; that's the nature of the beast. But this guy was way off on important shit.

The worst one? Well, my regular doc (internist) had first sent me to the GYN because my estrogen levels were way down. Here were the results my first test, which were taken while I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen, and ordered by my regular doc:

Estroldiol:  5    Normal Values:  17 - 184 pg/ml

Estrone:  19    Normal Values:  These vary; anything under 55 shows as postmenopausal.

Total Estrogens:  24    Normal Values:   35 - 297 pg/ml

As you can see, very low.

So, off I go to this supposedly great OB-GYN. Of course he says that tests done while on OCP will show lower estrogen levels. Makes sense. Wants me to stop taking OCP, then redo tests in about 3-4 weeks of being off OCP. I do this. Actually, due to scheduling issues, it's more like 5+ weeks.

When I see him the next time, GYN says the test results show that I'm in the early phase of perimenopause. Keeps telling me that I couldn't possibly be having hot flashes, since I am on OCP. After much pleading and begging, he seems to finally think about it and say, okay...lets try you on a low-dose OCP, one which has a more steady amount of hormones (only two days inactive, instead of 7). Prescribes Mircette.

Mircette was great for hot flashes -- virtually eliminated them. But my hair starts falling out. Since I'd started Lamictal about the same time, I figured that's what was causing it. Regular doc doesn't think so. He redoes the estrogen tests. This time they've even bottomed out more. Don't have the test results here, but remember he'd told me that the test which previously showed 5 was now down to 1. He's very concerned, and insisted that I talk with the GYN again.

I resisted, saying I don't want to go to that jerk again; this is the guy who kept saying over and over again "You can't be having hot flashes." Doc says this is something that you should be able to handle over the phone with GYN. I tell doc, I'm sure they will insist I go down there (an hour drive in ice and snow in a borrowed car) and, moreover, I don't want to deal with him.

Of course, he will not deal with it over the phone; will only have nurse tell me that the estrogen levels are low because you are on OCP. Have to go see the idiot. Have written much about that f***ed up visit. Jerk. Asshole. You name it. But he finally relents and puts me on HRT.

So, now I finally get his notes to my doc. The worst error? Here are the test results after I'd been off of OCP for 5+ weeks:

Estroldiol:  5    Normal Values:  17 - 184 pg/ml

Estrone:  19    Normal Values:  These vary; anything under 55 shows as postmenopausal.

(He didn't report Total Estrogens in his notes)

In other words, exactly the same as when I'd been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Exactly the same as when he said my estrogen levels were being suppressed by OCP. Extremely low, menopausal.

However, what does he write in his notes to my doc?

These were done while patient was taking Mircette.

No, idiot! You didn't even prescribe Mircette until weeks after I'd taken the test! Until I saw you for the follow-up appointment!

In other words this jerk-off didn't even read his own test results correctly. So much for "Dr. Science"!!!

Almost everytime I've seen my regular doc, I have told him what a jerk I think this guy is. Supposedly, he is the best in the area. There has got to be someone better.

At my next appt with regular doc, I intend to go over these test results, to point out the egregious error this guy made. I really want to get through to doc, please don't put another woman through this!

My hair may be growing back, and in other ways I think the hormones are making me more stable. But I lost 2/3 of my hair. And it's long. My hairline may be growing back in (thank god!), but how long is it going to take for it all to grow back?

Enough said.

Heya revlow,

Yah your gyne sucks.  Come on, who's supposed to know more about girly hormones???

Ugh.

And, it will be a few months for your hair to grow in properly.

At least you have good primary care.

Even if it *is* an internist  ;)

So frustrating.

--ncc--

Archived