CrazyBoards.org

Saw my shrink today, and told him the truth. I like being manic. I told him the reason i never mentioned my mood disorder before now is because doctors have a tendency to throw Lithium at me until i can barely see straight, and since i was just cycling between depressed and hypomanic i didnt see the point in talking about it.

He said right then and there, that he would not drown me in Lithium, that he wanted me taking some just so i dont get too manic, but that he was quite happy to have me on a low dose so that i can still experience hypomania. This made me trust him a hell of a lot more than if he had just been like "mania bad" and increased my Lithium until i couldnt feel anything any more.

This was done on the understanding that i dont go all manic and stop my Lithium, that's the deal we struck. I feel good about this, he's the first doctor (well, he's actually a NP) who has listened to what i want, and not just foisted an agenda on me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, esmereldaskysurfer said:

Saw my shrink today, and told him the truth. I like being manic. I told him the reason i never mentioned my mood disorder before now is because doctors have a tendency to throw Lithium at me until i can barely see straight, and since i was just cycling between depressed and hypomanic i didnt see the point in talking about it.

He said right then and there, that he would not drown me in Lithium, that he wanted me taking some just so i dont get too manic, but that he was quite happy to have me on a low dose so that i can still experience hypomania. This made me trust him a hell of a lot more than if he had just been like "mania bad" and increased my Lithium until i couldnt feel anything any more.

This was done on the understanding that i dont go all manic and stop my Lithium, that's the deal we struck. I feel good about this, he's the first doctor (well, he's actually a NP) who has listened to what i want, and not just foisted an agenda on me.

Does he want to use another med, or just keep the lith dose low ? 

That's great he was so responsive to what you want and need!  I guess as long as you guys keep an eye on things.

8 hours ago, esmereldaskysurfer said:

i never mentioned my mood disorder before now is because doctors have a tendency to throw Lithium at me until i can barely see straight,

he's the first doctor (well, he's actually a NP) who has listened to what i want, and not just foisted an agenda on me.

It's great to actually be listened to, right?  Foisting an agenda & throwing Lithium at you until you can't see straight... Yikes i can vividly imagine this with your description.

That’s wonderful your pdoc is on board with it. My pdoc does the same thing, we stay on top of things, but he understands the need for low level hypo if possible for creativity. At the very least, not for lithium to dampen everything. 

• Like 1

After years of depression I like to be at at above the even point, my pdoc also is ok with that as long as I feel like am just mildly hypo not problematic hypo if that makes sense. I get it. 

On 6/29/2019 at 11:39 PM, sugarsugar said:

After years of depression I like to be at at above the even point, my pdoc also is ok with that as long as I feel like am just mildly hypo not problematic hypo if that makes sense. I get it. 

Makes me question: Is Hypo always bad?? I mean, for us chronically depressed folks, (excluding BP1 people who are prone to full mania), why is everyone else's "Normal" considered "Hypo" for us??  Doesn't seem like a black & white thing...Its a really gray area....I just want to have some interest and motivation for something (other than sleeping and ruminating) as long as I'm not impulsive, compulsive, staying up all night, or a danger to myself/others.

• Like 1

Wish I had a pdoc/NP like that. Then again, I can’t be on a low dose. I tried. I take lithium, enough to make me a bleh lump that’s too exhausted to go to work many days.  Any small bit of feeling good/mania turns into mixed B.S. with lots of agitation and anger. I miss feeling good/motivated/creative. Lithium helps the mania but kills everything else.