CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
mikl_pls

Meds for essential tremor that AREN'T beta-blockers

I've tried quite a few meds, including but not limited to many beta-blockers (atenolol, propranolol, metoprolol, acebutolol, nadolol, currently on pindolol), anticonvulsants (topiramate, levetiracetam, gabapentin, and primidone), and benzos (pretty much all of them!), and haven't had good results.

• Beta-blockers, even pindolol with its intrinsic sympathomimetic activity, causes bradycardia.
  • Topiramate (Topamax) makes me STUPID AF.
  • Levetiracetam (Keppra) makes me suicidal.
  • Primidone (Mysoline), while it works really well, the cognitive issues are EONS worse than that of topiramate.
  • Gabapentin (Neurontin) does nothing for me much except put weight on me, but then again, I didn't pay attention to my tremor at the time, so it could be worth another try.
  • Benzos don't do anything, which I wasn't taking the benzo primarily for the tremor anyway...

I've read up on other treatments of essential tremor, and I'm not too keen on using clozapine (Clozaril), mirtazapine (Remeron), or alcohol...

Does anyone know of any other treatments that would work? Or if I should retry gabapentin? I literally spilled my drink all over myself tonight when I went out to eat with my boyfriend. I'm sick of dealing with this.

Maybe lyrica as its supposedly stronger than gabapentin.

im not one to ever not recommend gabapentin, so yes i think it’s worth a shot.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, argh said:

Maybe lyrica as its supposedly stronger than gabapentin.

im not one to ever not recommend gabapentin, so yes i think it’s worth a shot.

I may ask either my pdoc or my neurologist (I see pdoc sooner I believe) about trying gabapentin then, and if it doesn't work, I will try Lyrica.

Keppra helped a little, but the benefits vs the detriments just weren't worth it. I was horrendously suicidal when I was on that med.

Edited by mikl_pls

16 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I may ask either my pdoc or my neurologist (I see pdoc sooner I believe) about trying gabapentin then, and if it doesn't work, I will try Lyrica.

Keppra helped a little, but the benefits vs the detriments just weren't worth it. I was horrendously suicidal when I was on that med.

Zonegran? That was the only other Hail Mary I found that wasn’t rediculous 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, netsavy006 said:

Aren't the EPS meds (cogentin and artane for example) used off label for tremors?

I forgot about those... I have taken Cogentin for tremor, and while it works, the drying side effect is somewhat tolerable, yet losing the ability to focus close up is intolerable. It makes me literally have to wear reading glasses on top of my contacts. I've never taken Artane because my pdoc doesn't want me to. She says it's addictive. (?)

Cogentin could probably be a good med to use PRN for tremor, like if I'm about to go somewhere where I feel I would be judged by my tremor or if I need really fine motor control. Yet I'm not closed to trying Artane, because I know my NP can probably prescribe it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

Zonegran? That was the only other Hail Mary I found that wasn’t rediculous 

Aha! Zonegran! I forgot, I did try that too and it helped me a lot. How could I have forgotten this medicine?

My neurologist took me off Zonegran 400 mg and put me on Topamax 200 mg, and eventually 400 mg. I tolerated Topamax 200 mg worse than I tolerated Zonegran 400 mg. I had no cognitive issues on Zonegran, surprisingly, but on Topamax, it's literally like an alzheimer's pill (with the addition of primidone).

Zonegran is definitely worth another go! Thank you for reminding me about this!

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 12:04 AM, Persona_Is_Life said:

Mirapex? 

That was a good medicine for my mood, but it unfortunately didn't do anything for my tremor, and it made me eat and spend compulsively. Apparently dopamine agonists/partial agonists just aren't for me... lol. Thanks for the suggestion!

I've actually thought about going back on Rytary (normal Sinemet doesn't do anything for me). At the lowest dose 3x/day, I got some benefit without the compulsivity associated with dopaminergics, and I felt like if my pdoc had pushed the dose a little higher, I might've gotten way more benefit from it, but she wouldn't do it for some reason. I might bring it up to my neurologist.

My sleep doctor gave me Requip for tremor, as he is convinced I have a Parkinsonian element to my tremor. He also gave me iron tablets, but those made my breath smell bad and my mouth taste bad, very unpleasant.

I might have missed it in your signature but what about Azilect (rasagiline) or Amantadine? 

There's also Stalevo. It's Carbadopa/Levodopa/Entacapone. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Persona_Is_Life said:

I might have missed it in your signature but what about Azilect (rasagiline) or Amantadine? 

There's also Stalevo. It's Carbadopa/Levodopa/Entacapone. 

I've been curious about Azilect actually--heck, even selegiline (Eldepryl) too--as well as amantadine. Both seem like they could possibly do something good for me.

I don't know if I'm ready for Stalevo yet... lol.

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't think of those.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I've been curious about Azilect actually--heck, even selegiline (Eldepryl) too--as well as amantadine. Both seem like they could possibly do something good for me.

I don't know if I'm ready for Stalevo yet... lol.

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't think of those.

Anytime. :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, looking for answers said:

i believe the med im starting for my concussion also works for tremors and a variety of things, amantadine

Yes, I've read about that. I just added that to my med list I'm going to ask about for tremor. Thanks! :) 

6 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Yes, I've read about that. I just added that to my med list I'm going to ask about for tremor. Thanks! :) 

im going to start the med tommorow, remind me to let you know how it goes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

im going to start the med tommorow, remind me to let you know how it goes

Will do!

• Like 1

did you try this? I really noticed no effects, i dunno mood wise i just feel a bit odd, but i have so much going going on im doubting its the med.

less jittery>? no actually a bit shaky

BUT BUT BUT after about 2 weeks on the med, and it says you can maybe feel "energy" in a few days, it likely takes a few weeks to kick in.

I did notice that when im trying to do cognitive tasks, i get less dizzy, blurred vision, headaches, etc. I still have the cognitivie issues..........But those symptoms subsided........so i guess for the Neuro fatigue, it is working........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

did you try this? I really noticed no effects, i dunno mood wise i just feel a bit odd, but i have so much going going on im doubting its the med.

less jittery>? no actually a bit shaky

BUT BUT BUT after about 2 weeks on the med, and it says you can maybe feel "energy" in a few days, it likely takes a few weeks to kick in.

I did notice that when im trying to do cognitive tasks, i get less dizzy, blurred vision, headaches, etc. I still have the cognitivie issues..........But those symptoms subsided........so i guess for the Neuro fatigue, it is working........

Glad to hear it's working at least partially for you.  I think I may ask to try it for tremor. It has anticholinergic properties, just not as strong as Cogentin (which causes blurry vision, dry mouth, can't focus up close, etc.). Either that or I may try Artane, another anticholinergic.

5 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Glad to hear it's working at least partially for you.  I think I may ask to try it for tremor. It has anticholinergic properties, just not as strong as Cogentin (which causes blurry vision, dry mouth, can't focus up close, etc.). Either that or I may try Artane, another anticholinergic.

I know it has those properties which is why I questioned its use. Bc that’s some of the symptoms were trying to get rid of

6 hours ago, looking for answers said:

I know it has those properties which is why I questioned its use. Bc that’s some of the symptoms were trying to get rid of

I've always been curious about amantadine, I've always wanted to try it to see how it helps my ADHD and energy as it's one of the few psych/neuro meds I've not taken. But I certainly don't want to be more jitttery... lol.

I think for your case, its the NMDA antagonism they're going for, possibly, which requires kinda high doses (up to 400 mg max). Why they haven't just given you memantine instead is a mystery (it's much more potent a NMDA antagonist). Also, magnesium could possibly help you too as it is a natural NMDA antagonist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

I've always been curious about amantadine, I've always wanted to try it to see how it helps my ADHD and energy as it's one of the few psych/neuro meds I've not taken. But I certainly don't want to be more jitttery... lol.

I think for your case, its the NMDA antagonism they're going for, possibly, which requires kinda high doses (up to 400 mg max). Why they haven't just given you memantine instead is a mystery (it's much more potent a NMDA antagonist). Also, magnesium could possibly help you too as it is a natural NMDA antagonist.

Im Actually in magnesium as wel at the momement. I dunno on the jitters it’s like literally hand shaking, I don’t feel jittery . It comes on when I’m trying to do therapy so take it with a grain of salt. And they have never mentioned memantine only this

• Like 1