Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

I was on Olanzapine for about one year and during that time I did excessive spending which may have caused  lowering impulse control and consequently am now in bankruptcy.

Have been off Olanzapine since December, 2018.

In March went on Seroquel and experienced manic situations, where I was out of control (never had this happen to me before). I became excessively hostile towards a clerk in Walgreens, reduced my veterinarian to tears and alienated alot of my neighbors by my raging.  We upped the Seroquel thinking I was having my first manic episode, it only made everything worse.  Since coming off of Seroquel in last two weeks, I am now calm and the urge to act out aggressively is gone and I am mortally embarrassed about my behaviors.

New psych doc now, former one retired.  Started Reluxti two days ago at .5 mg.  First day experienced some brain zaps and thinking it might have been due to the mixing of recently going off of Seroquel and introducing Reluxti.  Today, no brain zaps.  Taking Benadryl to help with insomnia as Rexulti may become stimulating. 

I know this is a very expensive drug and being on Medicare I do not qualify for any of the manufacturer's savings plans. My new psych doc believes he can keep me on his extra supplies forever or until they go generic.  I am worried about being on this drug and loosing him as a psychiatrist and ending up with a co-pay of $400.00 a month and ending up in the Medicare Donut-hole very quickly. The trial pack he gave me has a 14 day supply.

I recently did a gene study thru GenOMind.  I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer and subject to many skin issues.  When I first saw him, he became very frustrated with me and didn't believe me that I can't tolerate most of the behavioral meds out there but once he got the gene study, he then understood.  The only drug he would suggest is Rexulti. 

I am in a quandary as to what to do about going on this very expensive medication with no way of paying for this and getting stuck on this drug should I loose my new psych doc and his many samples.

Purple

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PurplePaisley said:

I was on Olanzapine for about one year and during that time I did excessive spending which may have caused  lowering impulse control and consequently am now in bankruptcy.

Have been off Olanzapine since December, 2018.

In March went on Seroquel and experienced manic situations, where I was out of control (never had this happen to me before). I became excessively hostile towards a clerk in Walgreens, reduced my veterinarian to tears and alienated alot of my neighbors by my raging.  We upped the Seroquel thinking I was having my first manic episode, it only made everything worse.  Since coming off of Seroquel in last two weeks, I am now calm and the urge to act out aggressively is gone and I am mortally embarrassed about my behaviors.

New psych doc now, former one retired.  Started Reluxti two days ago at .5 mg.  First day experienced some brain zaps and thinking it might have been due to the mixing of recently going off of Seroquel and introducing Reluxti.  Today, no brain zaps.  Taking Benadryl to help with insomnia as Rexulti may become stimulating. 

I know this is a very expensive drug and being on Medicare I do not qualify for any of the manufacturer's savings plans. My new psych doc believes he can keep me on his extra supplies forever or until they go generic.  I am worried about being on this drug and loosing him as a psychiatrist and ending up with a co-pay of $400.00 a month and ending up in the Medicare Donut-hole very quickly. The trial pack he gave me has a 14 day supply.

I recently did a gene study thru GenOMind.  I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer and subject to many skin issues.  When I first saw him, he became very frustrated with me and didn't believe me that I can't tolerate most of the behavioral meds out there but once he got the gene study, he then understood.  The only drug he would suggest is Rexulti. 

I am in a quandary as to what to do about going on this very expensive medication with no way of paying for this and getting stuck on this drug should I loose my new psych doc and his many samples.

Purple

 

 

 

 

He gave you literally no other options at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just try it and if the situation changes and you can’t afford it then cross that bridge when you come to it. Abilify is a very similar drug to Rexulti and it is generic, btw. If it came it to it, you could try that if Rexulti helps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Iceberg said:

He gave you literally no other options at all? 

Hi Iceburg ~  No, he gave me no other option.  After reviewing the gene study thru GenOMind, I am in a category that with most of the behavioral meds I will over-react to and historically in the last 50 years of trying all these drugs, it happened to me.  Doctors in the past would excuse me from their practice claiming that I was not trying, when in fact, there was a genuine reason. 

He felt this is the cleanest drug on the market that will have a very low side effect profile.

Thank you for your valued response *smiles*

Purple

4 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

I would just try it and if the situation changes and you can’t afford it then cross that bridge when you come to it. Abilify is a very similar drug to Rexulti and it is generic, btw. If it came it to it, you could try that if Rexulti helps.

Thank you mcjimjam ~  that sounds like a very good plan.  I didn't realize that Abilify is similar to Rexulti, that gives me some hope in just knowing that.  I am on day 4 of Rexulti and see no results, in fact, my depression is worsening.  When I was on Olanzapine, by now I would be feeling relief, but he has refused to put me back on Olanzapine.

Purple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on Abilify for a few months and it seems to be making my depression worse. If Rextuli is having that impact on you, Abilify may, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 6:04 AM, breeny said:

I've been on Abilify for a few months and it seems to be making my depression worse. If Rextuli is having that impact on you, Abilify may, as well.

I got that when I was on too little a dose. Up to 10 mg, nothing. Once I went to ten mg, wow !

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, notloki said:

I got that when I was on too little a dose. Up to 10 mg, nothing. Once I went to ten mg, wow !

Hi notloki ~    Was that Abilify or Rexulti you are referring to? 

I could withstand all of the side effects of Rexulti, but confusion. The confusion issue was extreme, it got to the point I did not recognize my surroundings, it was that scary.  Did you have any confusion like this?

When you said "Wow" at 10 mg, can you be more specific?

Thank you for your valued response notloki *smiles*

Purple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 8:04 AM, breeny said:

I've been on Abilify for a few months and it seems to be making my depression worse. If Rextuli is having that impact on you, Abilify may, as well.

I'm sorry to hear that breeny ~  what is your prescribing doctor saying about this?  Are you going to stay on this, increase dose or go off of it? I have heard that docs leave us on medications for up to two months to see what affect it has on us before making decisions.  What do you want to do?

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.  Yes, my depression got much worse with only being on it 5 days, along with the scary confusion.  Now that I have been off of Rexulti a week, my depression is lessening and I can function, whereas all I could do was sit in my recliner day after day,  with no incentive to do anything at all. 

Purple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2019 at 4:03 AM, mcjimjam said:

I would just try it and if the situation changes and you can’t afford it then cross that bridge when you come to it. Abilify is a very similar drug to Rexulti and it is generic, btw. If it came it to it, you could try that if Rexulti helps.

Thank you mcjimjam ~  like your nick *smiles*  Good suggestion.  I do have a bottle of Abilify (2mg) at home which I will take with me when I see my psych doc.  I have been off of Rexulti now for 5 days and feeling much better.  I was feeling quite intense side effects right out the gate.  I could deal with most but it was the confusion that scared me and when my psych doc heard that, he wanted me off of it immediately.  I couldn't recognize things, I didn't know where I was, nothing made sense to me.  What scared me most was wondering if that is what Alzheimers feels like. 

Thank you for the suggestion of Abilify.  I have some at home and will bring with me when I see my psych doc next week.  We are basically out of options since my GenOMind genetic report showed me as a ultra-rapid metabolizer. 

Purple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PurplePaisley said:

Hi notloki ~    Was that Abilify or Rexulti you are referring to? 

I could withstand all of the side effects of Rexulti, but confusion. The confusion issue was extreme, it got to the point I did not recognize my surroundings, it was that scary.  Did you have any confusion like this?

When you said "Wow" at 10 mg, can you be more specific?

Thank you for your valued response notloki *smiles*

Purple

Abilify. No confusion. Wow it really worked well at the right dose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 6:10 PM, Iceberg said:

He gave you literally no other options at all? 

Hi Iceberg ~  I just had a gene study for mental health medications.  It came back showing me as being an ultra-rapid metabolizer which means 99% of the drugs won't work with me.  I have tried everything.  The only two drugs that worked were Zonegran (developed many kidney stones even though I drank alot of water) and Depakote (which damaged my liver and now have chronic hyperammonia).  Everything else had intolerable side effects. 

Most psych docs give up on me right away, which is where this new psych doc is heading now, he literally threw up his hands in my face several weeks ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if he dismisses me as his patient next week and sadly, he's the only one left on my insurance panel I can see. 

Purple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, notloki said:

Abilify. No confusion. Wow it really worked well at the right dose.

I am soo happy for you notloki, I really am because I cannot adjust to any medication now.  I don't know if it's my age or whether I did not give the medicine enough time or by upping the dose as what happened to you. How long did you give it before you noticed a difference?

Are you still on Abilify now?

Purple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, notloki said:

I got that when I was on too little a dose. Up to 10 mg, nothing. Once I went to ten mg, wow !

i'll have to see if my pdoc will up the dose next week then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PurplePaisley said:

I am soo happy for you notloki, I really am because I cannot adjust to any medication now.  I don't know if it's my age or whether I did not give the medicine enough time or by upping the dose as what happened to you. How long did you give it before you noticed a difference?

Are you still on Abilify now?

Purple

i've been on Abilify for several years, still on it. I titrated to 10 mg starting at 2 mg and giving each dose 2 weeks, basically doubling the dose each increase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 2:04 PM, PurplePaisley said:

I was on Olanzapine for about one year and during that time I did excessive spending which may have caused  lowering impulse control and consequently am now in bankruptcy.

Have been off Olanzapine since December, 2018.

In March went on Seroquel and experienced manic situations, where I was out of control (never had this happen to me before). I became excessively hostile towards a clerk in Walgreens, reduced my veterinarian to tears and alienated alot of my neighbors by my raging.  We upped the Seroquel thinking I was having my first manic episode, it only made everything worse.  Since coming off of Seroquel in last two weeks, I am now calm and the urge to act out aggressively is gone and I am mortally embarrassed about my behaviors.

New psych doc now, former one retired.  Started Reluxti two days ago at .5 mg.  First day experienced some brain zaps and thinking it might have been due to the mixing of recently going off of Seroquel and introducing Reluxti.  Today, no brain zaps.  Taking Benadryl to help with insomnia as Rexulti may become stimulating. 

I know this is a very expensive drug and being on Medicare I do not qualify for any of the manufacturer's savings plans. My new psych doc believes he can keep me on his extra supplies forever or until they go generic.  I am worried about being on this drug and loosing him as a psychiatrist and ending up with a co-pay of $400.00 a month and ending up in the Medicare Donut-hole very quickly. The trial pack he gave me has a 14 day supply.

I recently did a gene study thru GenOMind.  I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer and subject to many skin issues.  When I first saw him, he became very frustrated with me and didn't believe me that I can't tolerate most of the behavioral meds out there but once he got the gene study, he then understood.  The only drug he would suggest is Rexulti. 

I am in a quandary as to what to do about going on this very expensive medication with no way of paying for this and getting stuck on this drug should I loose my new psych doc and his many samples.

Purple

I'm thinking one of the reasons he wanted to try you on Rexulti is because it has such a long half-life. That means even if you are an ultra-rapid metabolizer, he can titrate you up to higher doses without issue because you'll be able to tolerate them. The alternative is generic aripiprazole, but if quetiapine of all things made you rage out, then I would say starting on Rexulti before aripiprazole (Abilify) makes more sense.

That being said you can always fall back to aripiprazole as an option because it too has a long half-life which should help combat the ultra-rapid metabolism issue. Although it depends on what KIND of ultra-rapid metabolizer you are. I'm assuming CYP2D6, but it could be CYP3A4 which is different altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • By troop111
      Hi,
      Have any of you had or have read of gabapentin being of use as an adjunctive therapy for people with treatment resistant depression/anxiety/bipolar?
      I have been doing research and some sources say it helps, others say there is no strong clinical proof. I think a lot of the conflicting reports I have seen has to do with it simply not being studied en mass.
      Any advice/experiences regarding this? If so, what was your dosing?
      Thank you!
      troop
    • By lauraishere
      .
    • By Inanlae
      So for seventeen years I've had pain depression.  It especially feels like it's squeezing my heart.  It hasn't historically been *about* anything.  I've just chalked it up to biochemistry, heredity.  And I've thought about suicide, most days, for at least fifteen years - because pain sucks.  Ups-and-downs.  Roller-coasters.  Probably every person on here has done time at the worst torture theme park in the world.

      Two years ago, my cocktail started working.  There was some CBT and DBT in the mix too.  I decreased my daily Ativan from 3mg to 2mg.  Plus 20mg Latuda, 300mg Sertraline, 100mg Topamax.  I actually felt happy, for about two years, until this October.  Then it stopped working.  And I stopped working.  I work in a level I trauma center, where I identify cancer, anemia, and the effects of the coronavirus on the human body.  I feel like I have a front row seat to human suffering, without being empowered to ameliorate it, and it's another kind of torture.

      I am very tired of fighting.  If there was a euthanasia travel agency, where I could just walk in, plan my funeral and end-of-life arrangements, plan my ideal death, and just call this thing at 38, that would be a somewhat attractive option (not telling, The Tallest Man on Earth, flaming-Viking-burial-at-sea.)  I'm tired of fighting this disease, personally.  And I'm tired of coming up against the tsunami of "world suck" (H/T Vlog Brothers) which seems to be hate-fucking itself ad astra.

      So the strain theory, which I haven't read much on yet, is that we consider the termination of our lives when under one or more types of strain.  I personally find this theory hopeful, as targeting the sources of strain, i.e. "world stuck," could reduce the inducements to terminate one's life.  The General Strain Theory, according to one Wik I. Pedia cites loss of positive stimuli, addition of negative stimuli, or the inability to reach a desired goal, as three possible sources of strain.  I will follow up on this with my tdoc on Wednesday.  I think work is introducing negative stimuli, and I have a shit ton of unreached goals, but am starting to care about goals less and less.  Basically, it pisses me off that I've had to dramatically reduce my goals due to my diseases, and it's kind of tempting to just leave the party.  Please feel free to weigh in if you have personal and or academic experience with this.

      I'm also meeting virtually with my pdoc tomorrow... to tweak the cocktail.  Would love recommendations.  My current rx mix, dxs and rx, failures are in my signature.  Lamictal induces hives and vomiting.  Depakote causes dyskinesia.  Lithium ruined the thyroid and causes acute renal failure.  Medicine.  Ha ha.  Organ roulette.

      So the observation about different species of depression is that while for a decade-and-a-half I experienced what seemed like purely biochemical, chains-around-my-heart, tar-and-shark-filled, basements-beneath-basements depression.  This feels more like a rational(?) depression, which has me concerned about whether it will be responsive to biochemical therapy.

       
    • By Isaiah2017
      I'm having a hell of a hard time and experiencing rather weird symptoms. Whether they've anything to do with Mirtazapine (Remeron) is something that I strongly feel but can't quite convince any doctor of.   I was put on 15 mg of it in spring 2015 for depression and a severe insomnia - I hadn't slept an hour like since 25 nights back then! The benefits showed immediately within a day and surprised myself and my family. I would sleep well and be in a very happy and cheerful mood.   Then however, from summer 2016 I developed some strange food intolerances; caffeine, sugar, fruits containing high amounts of fructose, yoghurt, butter and so on. Eating anything of that would cause me jitteriness and insomnia. I steered clear of those foods.   From autumn last year though, a lot of those food intolerances have relented and it changed into intolerance towards medicines and supplements that I was on; the thyroid medicine for hypothyroidism, Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin E and could never again tolerate any new medicine or supplement. Symptoms resulting from these are, again, jitters, insomnia and a strange kind of feeling of being struck on the head, like I can't hear anything and the thinking becomes very unclear and blurred. Coupled with this is a weird sensation that if a medicine has any potential side-effect (even physical, such as urine retention), I get it at all costs. So I'm steering clear of the culprits here too.   However, avoiding the culprits doesn't end my misery, it just helps in avoiding a whole new set of symptoms, because since autumn 2016 I'm under constant brainfog anyway, have heart palpitations immediately after every meal (but worst after breakfast), have concentration and focus issues, lead a life without any hobbies, wishes or desires. Nothing excites me, nothing interests me and nothing catches my attention. Leave tasks pending for months (the most unlike me habbit), have badly lost my sense of humour. My sense of humour was something that I literally used to pride on, and friends from around the world would call me to fresh up if they were having a dull day. My mind feels numb, although it isn´t as if it´s the sedating effect of the Mirtazapine because 90% percent of the nights I don´t sleep well, and on a lot of nights I feel as if I´m asleep with an awake mind!   The GP who put me on it considered it to be just the effects of anxiety and depression and recommended the doubling of the dose to 30 mg. When I contested that, given that I´ve my doubts of a lot of these issues being brought upon by Mirtazapine itself, she referred me to a psychiatrist. He too strongly denies of Mirtazapine having any hand to play on it and instead thinks it´ll be best to combine it with another antidepressant for day-time.   He put me on Paroxetine, boom, a flood of side-effects! Then changed to Fluoxetine (Prozac) - third day on it and having weird feelings. The heart poundings are one and is in fact making me very depressed and hopeless!
×
×
  • Create New...