CrazyBoards.org

saoirse

Does this sound like mania or simply alleviated depression?

I started feeling intensely good about two to three weeks ago. In the last week its intensified. I drove around for hours giving a lot of money to homeless people, am sleeping 3 hours and feel great, have to drink to calm myself, did something extremely out of character (bought drugs), have been spending tons of money and people say Im talking too fast. My brother told me I seem manic.

So maybe I am, but I have self awareness about it and I thought manic people didnt.

My question - do I call my doctor tomorrow (its not THAT severe at all) or would it be fine to wait for my pdoc appointment next week?

Im driving people crazy with the talking.

Posted (edited)

My hypomanic episodes have been limited, but it sounds like classic hypomania or mania to me. I would call your Pdoc asap. You might find yourself dealing with consequences you’d rather not. You’ll want to get this under control even though it feels good now  (hypomania rarely feels good for very long to me). I think you can have self awareness and still have at least hypomania. I can’t speak to mania.

Edited by Unstrung Harp
  • Like 2

Sounds like you’re heading that direction, if not already there. Depends on how bad your manias get? I would call pdoc tomorrow, *first thing*. Self awareness can quickly fade, and you don’t want to do something even more harmful. If buying drugs is out of character, then things are spiraling out of control. 

• Like 2

I have some insight when I'm manic usually. I would say call your doctor before it gets worse.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone.

Is it really necessary to call my doctor though? I havent felt this amazing in so long. im not out of control so maybe I can ride it out?

You’re spending money and buying drugs, not sleeping much. Those sound like danger signals to me and yes you should tell your pdoc now. I have a certain amount of insight when manic but not as much as I think I do. I get the feeling of wanting to hold onto things that feel amazing but as someone who’s been there and really messed things up while I felt so great—it isn’t fun dealing with the aftermath I didn’t foresee. Please tell your pdoc.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saoirse said:

Thank you everyone.

Is it really necessary to call my doctor though? I havent felt this amazing in so long. im not out of control so maybe I can ride it out?

Is the inevitable crash worth it? I have subsyndromal hypomania and the crash is fucking terrible. I can't imagine what legit hypomania which might evolve into mania feels like. I'm guessing much worse.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, saoirse said:

Thank you everyone.

The most notable hypomanic episode I had led me to do something that could have completely destroyed my life. You're spending money, uncharacteristically buying presumably illegal drugs, and people are noticing you are manic. You probably don't have as much self awareness as you think you have if you're asking if you really need to call. your Pdoc. You need to call your Pdoc. 

Edited by Unstrung Harp
  • Like 1

You def sound like you’re experiencing some sort of mania. I would call your pdoc. And with mania there is always the crash coming. Sure life is awesome when you’re manic; but it’s short lived. And it’s super depressing after. Right now I am in  depressive state. 2 months ago pdoc said I was manic. Yet I felt fine. Who the hell does she think she is analyzing my moods. Oh, wait. She’s a pdoc.