CrazyBoards.org

Posted (edited)

Every morning i wake up with paralyzing anxiety. i feel it so very physically. There is an anvil on my chest and deep breathing is impossible. My breath just gets stuck. My body is tense,and my heart feels like it is being squeezed.

My morning meds help with the physical manifestations of my anxiety,but not with my incessant worry. i am always waiting for something terrible to happen.

This could be in part due to my OCD as i tend to ruminate a whole lot.It could also be in part due to my PTSD.

My middle name is "Worst Case Scenarios".

"What if this happens,what would i do?"

What if what if what if?

i've done a lot of CBT and DBT,but i have trouble applying the skills i have learned.

How to cope with all the "What-If's?

Edited by gabagaba

Oh and my signature here is old and i don't know how to change it.

DX and RX are in my profile.

I get what you’re saying. It’s soo annoying. Everyday there is a new symptom that throws me into a tailspin, thinking I have to go to ER. My sister told me to instead of saying “What If” to say “So What” funny how little things like that can change your way of thinking. I have terrible coping skills. That’s one thing I need to get a grip on. 

Edited by KnickNak

I’ve been struggling with the Worst Case Scenario thing lately. It mostly is my brain playing out these ridiculous what-if conversations with people, that leave me irritated or downright angry, and of course the conversations never play out even remotely like what I’m imagining. 

Talked to tdoc about it, he seemed a bit perplexed, called them loops, and said they were creative (I really hate it when he says that). No real advice though from him, except to just let them play out and not put emotion with them (how, exactly?). They’re not ruining my life, and it’s not everyday, so hopefully it just doesn’t get worse. If it gets me really agitated, I take a half Ativan. 

4 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

I’ve been struggling with the Worst Case Scenario thing lately. It mostly is my brain playing out these ridiculous what-if conversations with people, that leave me irritated or downright angry, and of course the conversations never play out even remotely like what I’m imagining. 

Talked to tdoc about it, he seemed a bit perplexed, called them loops, and said they were creative (I really hate it when he says that). No real advice though from him, except to just let them play out and not put emotion with them (how, exactly?). They’re not ruining my life, and it’s not everyday, so hopefully it just doesn’t get worse. If it gets me really agitated, I take a half Ativan. 

This is the one area where I got lots of benefit from good old CBT. The therapist drilled into me that it is not logical for the worst option to be the only option... and it took some serious time but I can now catch myself if I go down the “what if” road. It was kinda like, ok this is scary - but is it realistic or am I just scared for the purpose of being scared. I’m a bit suprised tdoc had no contributions - this seems like a perfect issse for a therapy setting

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

This is the one area where I got lots of benefit from good old CBT. The therapist drilled into me that it is not logical for the worst option to be the only option... and it took some serious time but I can now catch myself if I go down the “what if” road. It was kinda like, ok this is scary - but is it realistic or am I just scared for the purpose of being scared. I’m a bit suprised tdoc had no contributions - this seems like a perfect issse for a therapy setting

Well, I did bring it up pretty late in the session, and he had a couple of theories as to why I’m doing it. I think though that in the grand scheme of everything I’ve been through the last few years, this was pretty far down the scale, so maybe that’s why he didn’t take it quite so seriously. If it continues, I’ll bring it up again. 

29 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

Well, I did bring it up pretty late in the session, and he had a couple of theories as to why I’m doing it. I think though that in the grand scheme of everything I’ve been through the last few years, this was pretty far down the scale, so maybe that’s why he didn’t take it quite so seriously. If it continues, I’ll bring it up again. 

That makes sense, I guess it’s not always smart to overshadow progress with a not-that-serious issue