CrazyBoards.org

I just started NAC and I can’t seem to find much info on how and whats about it so thought I’d ask you guys. 

Should it be taken with food or no? 

Take it in am or pm? Can’t tell if it’s causing increased drowsiness...

For those that take it, how much do you take per day?

Thank you!

I've never used NAC, but I did find a very informative page that does give recommended dosage amounts:

https://healthtrends.com/nac/

It does say it is best to take it on empty stomach, either 30 minutes before, or 2 hours after, eating.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I've never used NAC, but I did find a very informative page that does give recommended dosage amounts:

https://healthtrends.com/nac/

It does say it is best to take it on empty stomach, either 30 minutes before, or 2 hours after, eating.

Thanks CRH. Unfortunately, that doesn’t give me much time to take it since I’m hungry and eat so often through the day...🤣

I mean I almost literally eat every two hours! 😂 

I took NAC for a while. Stopped when I got over 100 of lamotrigine as it seemed to make me foggy, but that was just my experience, not a well known or even reported issue. I suppose logically that makes sense as it regulates glutamine. There is also an antioxidant effect.

It did make me drowsy too lol

Wellbutrin at 300mg also makes me foggy at that time so it could have been that.

For what it's worth it actually made a tangible and positive change in my mood. I used the NOW brand.

My dose was 2000mg split into 1000 at night and 1000 in the morning. No food.

I'd say I used it for about 4 months so over the threshold that the studies indicate that it poops out at.

In clinical tests, it had some promise for bipolar depression and less evidence for unipolar. The dose tested was 2000mg a day. Still not sure if I'm bipolar or not but given the meds I'm on and clear elevated mood which might or might not qualify, I can't speak if i had an response via the bipolar or mdd side of things.

Cheap enough to try it. I'd say give it a shot.

Copy paste doesn't seem to work on my phone but I'll add more later.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, argh said:

I took NAC for a while. Stopped when I got over 100 of lamotrigine as it seemed to make me foggy, but that was just my experience, not a well known or even reported issue. I suppose logically that makes sense as it regulates glutamine. There is also an antioxidant effect.

It did make me drowsy too lol

Wellbutrin at 300mg also makes me foggy at that time so it could have been that.

For what it's worth it actually made a tangible and positive change in my mood. I used the NOW brand.

My dose was 2000mg split into 1000 at night and 1000 in the morning. No food.

I'd say I used it for about 4 months so over the threshold that the studies indicate that it poops out at.

In clinical tests, it had some promise for bipolar depression and less evidence for unipolar. The dose tested was 2000mg a day. Still not sure if I'm bipolar or not but given the meds I'm on and clear elevated mood which might or might not qualify, I can't speak if i had an response via the bipolar or mdd side of things.

Cheap enough to try it. I'd say give it a shot.

Copy paste doesn't seem to work on my phone but I'll add more later.

Hmmm well, if it poops out at 4 months I guess I may as well not bother. 

1 hour ago, DammitJanet said:

Hmmm well, if it poops out at 4 months I guess I may as well not bother. 

Cheap enough to be worth a shot IMO. If nothing else the glutathione antioxidant effects stick around. We are all walking pharmacies. Couldn't hurt, lol

Just now, argh said:

Cheap enough to be worth a shot IMO. If nothing else the glutathione antioxidant effects stick around. We are all walking pharmacies. Couldn't hurt, lol

Yeah I’m just thinking if they know it poops out, why bother spending anything just for it to work a short while. I only make 850/month so I think I’ll give it a pass. Thanks for letting me know that before I bought more. 

3 minutes ago, argh said:

I mean, broke enough to have to visit food pantries on occasion. 

The only way I’m affording anything extra is via credit cards. 

But even if money wasn’t an issue, I’d probably still pass when it poops out so quickly...no need to put my body through poop out turmoil when I’m not super depressed or suicidal. Again thanks for all the information.