CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Blahblah

"Pure-O" versus obsessive thoughts in Depression?

How do you distinguish between the Obsessive thoughts/ruminations that are due to depression and the "pure obsessive" type thoughts that are considered OCD?

I know that you don't have to be compulsive to have an OCD diagnosis (I think) but more & more I see my obsessive, negative ruminations taking over and I wonder if this means I have both OCD and Depression? My brain just gets stuck on a track loop....any sad trigger and I start having related obsessive thought patterns and I cannot escape the resulting mood/emotion that comes with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blahblah said:

How do you distinguish between the Obsessive thoughts/ruminations that are due to depression and the "pure obsessive" type thoughts that are considered OCD?

I know that you don't have to be compulsive to have an OCD diagnosis (I think) but more & more I see my obsessive, negative ruminations taking over and I wonder if this means I have both OCD and Depression? My brain just gets stuck on a track loop....any sad trigger and I start having related obsessive thought patterns and I cannot escape the resulting mood/emotion that comes with it.

What exactly do you obsess and ruminate about when you get a "sad" trigger?.......Have you told your pdoc about it?...If not, I would suggest letting them know.

Pure-O can be difficult to diagnose sometimes, because there are no visible compulsions, so it's important to let your doc know what you are experiencing/thinking.

• Like 1

Depends on trigger (being invalidated, ignored, isolation, lack of achievement, envy, not being as "good" or capable as everyone else). Sad self-critical thoughts in general (part of depression), every personal/life disappointment, (perceived) failures of the past come up at once, and how it will continue in the future, worry/fear of being old, lonely, losing the few people I care about, depressed all my life, no satisfaction, ...my mind gets stuck on all of this, the past (from trauma, as well as daydreaming, craving nostalgic moments of youth) to point of obsession.

Based on previous events, I think about how everything will continue in the future (worse case scenarios, because everytime I try to think positive, I am let down considerably). This causes me to spend hours overthinking options, trying to predict outcomes of each, before I can make any big decision (kind of like a perfectionist/control thing, but no one can control of everything). Avoiding things, then forcing myself to do things. Dwelling on pros/cons.. indecision.

My pdocs/therapists all know, I always discuss my negative ruminations and spend my days trying to cope & distract from them or ignore them. Many of my worries never get resolved, I'm stuck and often feel trapped in this cycle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

My pdocs/therapists all know, I always discuss my negative ruminations and spend my days trying to cope & distract from them or ignore them. Many of my worries never get resolved, I'm stuck and often feel trapped in this cycle.

I have OCD with obsessions and compulsive rituals......So, I admit I don't fully understand Pure-O...

I did do some looking, and found a good article discussing Pure-O and it's characteristics:

https://www.intrusivethoughts.org/blog/pure-o-an-exploration-into-a-lesser-known-form-of-ocd/

Have you ever asked your pdoc or therapist directly, if they think you have Pure-O, due to the negative ruminations you have?...........If not, that might be a good thing to ask.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Thanks @CrazyRedhead I've skimmed, it seems my thoughts are much more generalised than the examples they give. But I do identify with some of the things around uncertainly.. like ruminating somehow feels productive when it's  the opposite. Mentally obsessing and ruminating over things is not going to solve the problem...I also tend to seek reassurance, reading online, asking questions, etc.

What sorts of OCD thoughts & behaviors do you most struggle with? Has anything helped?

5 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

What sorts of OCD thoughts & behaviors do you most struggle with? Has anything helped?

I mainly have the "checking" subtype of OCD....I have to check and recheck windows and doors to make sure they are locked, checking appliances and lights to make sure they are off, etc.......All this stems from an extreme obsessional fear that my house will get burned down or broken into if I don't check things to make sure they're right.

I also count things, too, over and over, to make sure it's the correct amount......But the checking is the main one I suffer from.

This has resulted in a complete inability to leave my house unless someone else helps me check, because I don't trust myself to check things right....So I'm mostly a hermit, except for doctor and therapist appointments.....Someone else always gets my groceries.

Sorry for rambling, but I guess you understand the basic picture......I've tried many meds, and therapy, but nothing has helped so far........But I am still trying.....**SIGH**

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mikl_pls
      I apparently have very treatment-resistant OCD. My pdoc hasn't said it, but I have gathered this from my profound lack of insight into my obsessions, psychotic preoccupations, and the fact that OCD is not only interfering with life, but treatment as well.
      I have tried novel strategies like memantine (30 mg), lamotrigine (400 mg), zonisamide (400 mg), topiramate (400 mg), etc. I've tried somewhat high doses of SSRIs (my pdoc hates prescribing anything at max dose) (fluoxetine 80 mg, fluvoxamine 100 mg (nightmare), escitalopram 10 mg (nightmare), sertraline 200 mg), SNRIs (venlafaxine XR 825 mg!!, duloxetine 120 mg, desvenlafaxine 150 mg, Fetzima (joke...)), Viibryd 40 mg, Trintellix 20 mg, etc., clomipramine 225 mg. I've tried various antipsychotics (typical and atypical) alongside SSRIs: fluphenazine 1 mg tid, perphenazine 4 mg tid, trifluoperazine 5 mg bid, haloperidol 1 mg tid to 5 mg x1, pimozide 2 mg bid, etc. Nothing seems to really help. Basically, if there's a way to treat it, I've probably tried and failed it or tried it partially due to conservative prescribing habits of my pdoc.
      I have not tried low-dose clomipramine + SSRI, supratherapeutic doses of SSRIs (pdoc won't hear of it...), higher doses of typical antipsychotics (for acute psychotic preoccupations), certain antipsychotics (thioridazine, clozapine, etc.). I'm thinking about seeking a second opinion from another pdoc soon because my current pdoc is no longer helping me. She just keeps me on the same useless regimen and never wants to change anything, pats me on the back saying "you're better than you think you are," and sends me on my way. The office staff are severely understaffed, and one of them in particular always bitches me out after my sessions because it's so late, but it doesn't matter if I take 5 minutes or 55 minutes... she's going to bitch me out no matter what about it. She never says anything to the people who go back there and take two hours though. Just me, because I'm at the end of the day. It royally pisses me off and I'm about to snap at her, and I really don't want to (the office staff person). I'm also about to snap at my pdoc and ask if she'd rather the meds kill me or me kill me due to inadequate medication. I know meds aren't all there is in treatment, but she seriously has to budge for something to change.
      I am seeing a therapist, but he's new and still getting to know me, so nothing has been done yet. He's taking notes and asking thorough questions though. I like him so far. He actually has a white dry-erase board in his office that he uses to illustrate things he's trying to convey to patients, and he's the only therapist with one in that whole office. I wish I could see my original therapist though. She's known me since I was 9 years old... She knows me like no other mental health practitioner knows me, and has the most extensive history on me. Last I saw her, she was in "partial retirement," which meant she blocked off half her office to this new guy (ex-pastor gone family counselor), disposed of all her notes on all her patients, sent half of her patients to this new guy, and kept the other half of her patients (mostly younger patients she said). I saw her twice or 3 times during that time, and she dismissed me after that. I wasn't really seeing her for my own purpose, but because of a problem I had I didn't know how to deal with. I tried calling her semi-recently when I was looking for a counselor several times, texting her, everything, and never got an answer, so I assumed she fully retired.
      Anyway, I didn't mean to digress so much in this post.
    • By Blahblah
      Good God, my habitual oversleeping is worsening.....I literally cannot get up before 11am. I know this is probably due to the fact that yes, I'm depressed and do not have anything of purpose at the moment to wake up for.....PLUS winter weather that's dark as Hell.....PLUS on a stupid stimulant break, until I can get in to see pdoc in 5 days.
      Are there any other tactics you've used?? I'm going to bed same time every night (by 11pm). I sleep really well entire night. WTF.
      I tried a sunlamp thing in the past and it made me headachey & irritable. Even when I go for walks during the day, it doesn't help.
    • By Blahblah
      Starting this thread because boredom, idleness, lack of stimulation is often a key trigger of depression and bad habits. When I get bored, I feel an emptiness, uselessness and physical/mental lethargy, cue ruminations, then I sleep excessively. This isn't always fatigue: It's an automatic (and very negative) avoidance behavior.
      This link lists 150 ideas (from high effort to minimal effort - from "fun" to mundane) in order to build healthier habits. I need to stop waiting to "feel good" before taking any action. Any thoughts?
      https://www.developgoodhabits.com/what-to-do-bored/
      Today, I:
      Journaled, Cleaned my desktop, Backed up computer, unsubscribed to some junk email, Did some stretching, called a relative, dealt with an admin issue, read some blogs about depression, provided some words of support/appreciation for someone.
    • By Blahblah
      Any opinions on parsing out differences between these, and treating each each symptom?  Is this still depression? Is my brain rendered dysfunctional without stimulants now??
      I have chronic depression (dips down here & there), but then it always goes back to this level (nearly a baseline for me). I'm tired, blah, SO LISTLESS and all I want to do is lay in bed all day, comfy & nice. Today, I managed to go out to get groceries (was out of TP for crikes sakes), showered, then back to bed resting & staring at wall. No interest in listening to music, trying to read made me drowsy....
      Not sad, not thinking of anything... just lying in bed, with no wherewithall or motivation to get up. Other factors: Winter weather, I've been on Ritalin break for 1 month.....Problem is, the last month on holiday, I was fine, active, good mood and had energy!! Blood tests are all normal. What gives?
    • By candi71
      I am so very lost, angry, hurt, depressed, explosive, and drowning.  I was put on latuda or my bipolar and depression acting up...  I hate new meds for this reason.  I started having my ptsd dreams again, ate everything in site and craved sugar omg terribly,  have been depressed, cant color which i love to do, just wanna sleep, explosive anger, crying jags, hate life, nothing makes me happy, everything just sucks.  Im so angry cause i feel like i did before i went on any meds, 20yr ago.  
      Im so confused i just feel like im grasping at air.. I was in the er the other night and they basically sent me home after giving my dose of larzapam i didn't take in the afternoon cause i doesn't help.  My theory of   it is it didn't help before the latuda what is gonna make it work coming off latuda or after off.. I remember why i drank now.. I didn't need to feel this then.. I want to drink so bad and wont cause I've been clean 6 yrs April will  be 7 and i worked to hard to get here and refuse to prove others right.  Im so so messed up i cant sleep cant watch TV cant color yet dont want to do any of the above either but if i dont sleep i hurt... has anyone felt this way..  It sux cause the battle to find meds to work will start tomorrow cause my liver doesn't process meds it flushes them out.. oh well sorry just needed to vent and hope someone can help