CrazyBoards.org

I have struggled with low weight and bony/arms since childhood, which made me very uncomfortable around others. My inability to gain weight now is impaired by the ADHD stimulant medications; they completely wipe away your appetite.

Cyproheptadine, I remember having amazing results and my body "filled in" for the first time, only thing is that if you take SSRI antidepressants, cyproheptadine to simply put it is a 5-HT (serotonin) antagonist so it blocks antidepressant/anti-anxiety therapeutic effects. In addition to the cypro, I also take Marinol and Zyprexa, all of which should significantly increase ones appetite for sure.

Forfeiting the ADHD meds would kill me since I will be attending an accelerated 15 month program at Shenandoah. Anyone know of other meds that can increase weight besides those that are sedating.

5 hours ago, mmaryland said:

I have struggled with low weight and bony/arms since childhood, which made me very uncomfortable around others. My inability to gain weight now is impaired by the ADHD stimulant medications; they completely wipe away your appetite.

Cyproheptadine, I remember having amazing results and my body "filled in" for the first time, only thing is that if you take SSRI antidepressants, cyproheptadine to simply put it is a 5-HT (serotonin) antagonist so it blocks antidepressant/anti-anxiety therapeutic effects. In addition to the cypro, I also take Marinol and Zyprexa, all of which should significantly increase ones appetite for sure.

Forfeiting the ADHD meds would kill me since I will be attending an accelerated 15 month program at Shenandoah. Anyone know of other meds that can increase weight besides those that are sedating.

Well, you’re on a weight neutral AD. Many other AD’s cause weight gain, so that’d probably be your best bet.  

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Well, you’re on a weight neutral AD. Many other AD’s cause weight gain, so that’d probably be your best bet.  

I agree.......My vote would be Remeron...!!.....When I tried that med I could not stop eating.....I've heard they give it to recovering anorexic patients to stimulate appetite.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

1 minute ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I agree.......My vote would be Remeron...!!.....When I tried that med I could not stop eating.....I've heard they give it to recovering anorexic patients to stimulate appetite.

Isn’t it used for sleep though? 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Isn’t it used for sleep though? 

Yes, it sometimes is used for sleep....When I tried it, I took it at night, and still it increased my appetite all throughout the next day.

I have racked my brain, and I can't think of anything that increases appetite without being sedating.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Just now, CrazyRedhead said:

Yes, it sometimes is used for sleep....When I tried it, I took it at night, and still it increased my appetite all throughout the next day.

I have racked my brain, and I can't think of anything that increases appetite without being sedating.

Well that sucks. Can’t Prozac cause weight gain? Maybe not. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Well that sucks. Can’t Prozac cause weight gain? Maybe not. 

When I took Prozac, I lost weight.....It is one of the more stimulating SSRIs.....I suppose it could cause weight gain for some people, but it's really not generally known as a weight gainer, from what I have read.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Just now, CrazyRedhead said:

When I took Prozac, I lost weight.....It is one of the more stimulating SSRIs.....I suppose it could cause weight gain for some people, but it's really not generally known as a weight gainer, from what I have read.

Gotcha. I remember gaining on it, but I tend to get paradoxical reactions a lot. 

Just now, DammitJanet said:

Gotcha. I remember gaining on it, but I tend to get paradoxical reactions a lot. 

Paxil is generally known as the SSRI that causes the most weight gain, but it's also the most sedating.

All SSRIs have the potential to cause gain, but some people do, and some don't....so I guess it's a case of YMMV.....

• Like 1

not to sound like an idiot. BUt how tall are you, how old are you, are you male, how much do you currently weight? Also what Exactly do you eat daily. Whats a normal day like activity wise for your morning till night.......

Just now, mmaryland said:

I am on Paxil too but to answer your question im 5'6 male 135 23 y/o

ok so yeH your  little underweight, now awful. now what do you eat? what do you do daily?

There's another medicine called megestrol (Megace) that is used occasionally as an appetite stimulant. AFAIK, it isn't sedating, but it does have other side effects like hyperglycemia, hypertension, etc... I don't know much about it though.

As for cyproheptadine, the serotonin antagonistic properties don't necessarily mean it counteracts serotonergic antidepressants. I have read that it can, but the 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C antagonism can actually boost  the antidepressant's efficacy in the same way an atypical antipsychotic can. 5-HT1A antagonism can also help by blocking the presynaptic and somatodendritic 5-HT1A autoreceptors, thereby disinhibiting serotonin release. It does, however, have weak antiandrogenic activities...

3 hours ago, mmaryland said:

I am on Paxil too but to answer your question im 5'6 male 135 23 y/o

i'm about the same size. do you exercise? run? lift  weights? etc?

Posted (edited)

You're also on what is supposedly the most weight neutral AAP of them all.

Remeron might throw you into mania/mixed state. Maybe try seroquel at night to put you down? Has the extra benefit (in this case) of making you eat more.

@mmaryland Your sig says geodon

Dx: ADHD, combined type, Insomnia NOS, Bipolar Disorder I, General Anxiety Disorder, 

Psychiatrist prescription:

Trintellix 20mg

Xanax 10mg-30mg daily

Geodon 40mg

Lithium 600mg

PRN: Doral for insomnia, Halcion for insomnia, Ativan for insomnia

bit hard to guess what you're really on, so i went with your sig.

Edited by argh
  • Confused 1

Haven't updated my sig in a a  while. I am on Zyprexa 10mg, Lyrica 600mg PM, Zenzedi 30mg BID, Xanax XR 6mg in the AM and 1mg TID and Paxil 30mg plus the Marinol and Cyproheptadine and medical marijuana throughout the day in vapor form. @mikl_pls I might just ask my physician about this. Wouldn't be surprised if I had to inform HIM about the medication as I did with the cyproheptadine.  Also been having heart rates above 130-170 beats per minute, could any of my meds be causing that?

@argh No I don't workout, exercise, run or life weights. Plus not on Geodon at all, I stopped taking it before I got to 80mg BID because it was hard to force myself to eat before taking the medication.

@looking for answers Currently I don't do much as I'm unemployed and recently got out of rehab, but I think I scored a job at chipotle! My diet is not good, I mean I eat chicken and steak but I really don't have an appetite to eat food. Except for fruit, but that won't give you all the nutrients you need. I'm asking my Dr. too to prescribe the ensure plus drinks for weight gain because when prescribed the insurance company pays for it in full, and those things are not cheap in the store. Neither is L-methylfolate. Insurance refuses to pay for it while they have no problem paying for a 3 month supply of Rexulti when I was on it that was $3,324.09. I find it really wild they wont cover $266 for 3 mo. of L-methylfolate but had no problem paying $800 for Zenzedi, $1,286 for Lyrica, etc. They're all mostly corrupt and are greedy scum.

1 minute ago, mmaryland said:

Haven't updated my sig in a a  while. I am on Zyprexa 10mg, Lyrica 600mg PM, Zenzedi 30mg BID, Xanax XR 6mg in the AM and 1mg TID and Paxil 30mg plus the Marinol and Cyproheptadine and medical marijuana throughout the day in vapor form. @mikl_pls I might just ask my physician about this. Wouldn't be surprised if I had to inform HIM about the medication as I did with the cyproheptadine.  Also been having heart rates above 130-170 beats per minute, could any of my meds be causing that?

@argh No I don't workout, exercise, run or life weights. Plus not on Geodon at all, I stopped taking it before I got to 80mg BID because it was hard to force myself to eat before taking the medication.

@looking for answers Currently I don't do much as I'm unemployed and recently got out of rehab, but I think I scored a job at chipotle! My diet is not good, I mean I eat chicken and steak but I really don't have an appetite to eat food. Except for fruit, but that won't give you all the nutrients you need. I'm asking my Dr. too to prescribe the ensure plus drinks for weight gain because when prescribed the insurance company pays for it in full, and those things are not cheap in the store. Neither is L-methylfolate. Insurance refuses to pay for it while they have no problem paying for a 3 month supply of Rexulti when I was on it that was $3,324.09. I find it really wild they wont cover $266 for 3 mo. of L-methylfolate but had no problem paying $800 for Zenzedi, $1,286 for Lyrica, etc. They're all mostly corrupt and are greedy scum.

Got ya. What about weight gainer shakes. Some can have 3000 calories a shake?