CrazyBoards.org
looking for answers

When do you know to move on from Pdoc

When do you know? I dont wanna say alot at first to tilt peoples opinions. This pdoc i learned about during my IOP stay. He worked with me and did help get me stabilized. im also on a slew of meds, many of which i dont feel I need at this point. My Tdoc kinda agrees, even though its not her place. We both also feel im overmedicated, and probably misdiagnosed. The last 3-4 visits have been completely useless. DOes not listen to a word im saying. Sometimes doesnt even have the meds im on correct........

Ive seen him for almost 2 years. He is a popular doc, and booked up. He spends alot of time talking with you during sessions. He helped me immensely..

But i am at that point where i wonder. 

38 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

When do you know? I dont wanna say alot at first to tilt peoples opinions. This pdoc i learned about during my IOP stay. He worked with me and did help get me stabilized. im also on a slew of meds, many of which i dont feel I need at this point. My Tdoc kinda agrees, even though its not her place. We both also feel im overmedicated, and probably misdiagnosed. The last 3-4 visits have been completely useless. DOes not listen to a word im saying. Sometimes doesnt even have the meds im on correct........

Ive seen him for almost 2 years. He is a popular doc, and booked up. He spends alot of time talking with you during sessions. He helped me immensely..

But i am at that point where i wonder. 

Before leaving, I’d do some asking around/research to come up with someone who you feel would be a good candidate to take over, and get a second opinion to see if they would have a different approach that is more a tune to your situation. Have you directly raised your feelings about the med situation? Also, while tdocs don’t do meds specifically I don’t think it is out of their scope to comment on your overall state, and guide you through your decision making without showing prejudice. Do you feel that this doc is too “big” (or overstretched) to give you you’re due attention? That is a big factor. I have had good luck (or lucky finds) with some pdocs who trade the big time for a more “human” approach with longer appointment times

I saw my previous one for just shy of 10 years. She was very helpful at the beginning, but over time I became convinced that I was over drugged, and this was borne out by how she medicated side effects before trying something new. I was eventually taking a ridiculous number of pills a day, and it wasn't sustainable. I felt physically awful.

It took me a while to work up the courage to tell her I wanted a second opinion, because we'd been together for so long. In retrospect that was warped thinking and I should have jumped ship much sooner.

I've been with my current pdoc since 2015, and she is totally different in how she handles my meds and diagnosis. 

I don't really agree that it's not your tdoc's place to give opinions on your meds. To my mind the ideal situation is a team approach in which you, your pdoc and tdoc work together. If she has expressed concern I would take it seriously. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Before leaving, I’d do some asking around/research to come up with someone who you feel would be a good candidate to take over, and get a second opinion to see if they would have a different approach that is more a tune to your situation. Have you directly raised your feelings about the med situation? Also, while tdocs don’t do meds specifically I don’t think it is out of their scope to comment on your overall state, and guide you through your decision making without showing prejudice. Do you feel that this doc is too “big” (or overstretched) to give you you’re due attention? That is a big factor. I have had good luck (or lucky finds) with some pdocs who trade the big time for a more “human” approach with longer appointment times

i wouldnt leave till i actually saw another doctor, and had them accept the plan of care, essentially some overlap.

I have directly brought it up no less than 5 times. today he told me seroquel and lithium cannot cause a person to feel flat. But maybe since im on alot of meds theres a weird reaction. Everytime i bring up streamlining things he just says no. I state how i feel flat, and that i would like to try being off of things, he says no. He tells me im doing well and he'll see me next time. 

My tdoc works for pdoc, and was supposed to talk to him. But she has repeatedly disagreed with diagnosis and so many meds. When i had my neuropsych test, the doctor was a little taken back by the meds as well.

Thing is he has a huge practice, but he spends 30-45 minutes with u per session. Its just not productive. i want what your talking about, the more human approach

3 minutes ago, MiaB said:

I saw my previous one for just shy of 10 years. She was very helpful at the beginning, but over time I became convinced that I was over drugged, and this was borne out by how she medicated side effects before trying something new. I was eventually taking a ridiculous number of pills a day, and it wasn't sustainable. I felt physically awful.

It took me a while to work up the courage to tell her I wanted a second opinion, because we'd been together for so long. In retrospect that was warped thinking and I should have jumped ship much sooner.

I've been with my current pdoc since 2015, and she is totally different in how she handles my meds and diagnosis. 

I don't really agree that it's not your tdoc's place to give opinions on your meds. To my mind the ideal situation is a team approach in which you, your pdoc and tdoc work together. If she has expressed concern I would take it seriously. 

thank you. I see her again, wed, we will definitely be talking about things.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

i wouldnt leave till i actually saw another doctor, and had them accept the plan of care, essentially some overlap.

I have directly brought it up no less than 5 times. today he told me seroquel and lithium cannot cause a person to feel flat. But maybe since im on alot of meds theres a weird reaction. Everytime i bring up streamlining things he just says no. I state how i feel flat, and that i would like to try being off of things, he says no. He tells me im doing well and he'll see me next time. 

My tdoc works for pdoc, and was supposed to talk to him. But she has repeatedly disagreed with diagnosis and so many meds. When i had my neuropsych test, the doctor was a little taken back by the meds as well.

Thing is he has a huge practice, but he spends 30-45 minutes with u per session. Its just not productive. i want what your talking about, the more human approach

thank you. I see her again, wed, we will definitely be talking about things.

I agree with @MiaB, feelings of loyalty shouldn’t be the reason to stay 

That fear made me stay with one and ended me up in the hospital. I’m not saying just jump ship, but If the situation is going nowhere that’s probably enough motive to sit down with some new  people and employ your “crap head radar” to the best of your ability 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

That fear made me stay with one and ended me up in the hospital. I’m not saying just jump ship, but If the situation is going nowhere that’s probably enough motive to sit down with some new  people and employ your “crap head radar” to the best of your ability 

yeah you are probably right. thanks for the confirmation guys

Posted (edited)

I agree with Iceberg here. And I didn't mean to sound glib in my  reference to jumping ship. Starting up a relationship with a new pdoc is serious business, but my experience is proof that the right one for you is out there.

I didn't know how well things could work if you have a doc who really listens and doesn't just throw another med at you, until I actually found one.

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

Edited by MiaB

4 minutes ago, MiaB said:

I agree with Iceberg here. And I didn't mean to sound glib in my  reference to jumping ship. Starting up a relationship with a new pdoc is serious business, but my experience is proof that the right one for you is out there. Please keep us posted on how you get on.

i will thank you. I didnt take it that way at all BTW. I just have had really bad luck with pdocs, and this went well at first, disheartening.

Perhaps it would help to see it as a relationship that's run its course?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

Great way to look at it!

This is how I approached my first tdoc- she had been helpful and laid a good foundation but I had absorbed my capacity from her 

Edited by Iceberg

19 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

This is how I approached my first tdoc- she had been helpful and laid a good foundation but I had absorbed my capacity from her 

I was able to

do that with tdoc before just not pdoc

The thing for me was that If I lost my confidence in my pdoc to treat me/ pull me out of the void, it made my whole view of things much more negative- whether it be mood, side effects, daily activities, sleeping- it was like well I know my doc can’t help so I’m fucked and stuck with this. That was my indication to get another opinion 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

The thing for me was that If I lost my confidence in my pdoc to treat me/ pull me out of the void, it made my whole view of things much more negative- whether it be mood, side effects, daily activities, sleeping- it was like well I know my doc can’t help so I’m fucked and stuck with this. That was my indication to get another opinion 

totally true. totally right. NOw the question is how to start looking. around here they are in short supply, and take 4-6 months to find one sometimes. I hve some serious issues medically going on and am off work FMLA, i would love to slide in somewhere but isnt gonna happen, unless my medical team can pull some strings.

I dont have faith in him, seriously tried to tell me lithium cant make you flat...........also said seroquel cant, i mean a mood stabilize cant make you flat really?

Then argue with my over my current medical condition, and didnt even know what meds and doses i was on, AGAIN

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like a lot of places I’ve called before around. Lonnnng wait times to get in and not great reviews.

i take psych reviews for doctors with a grain of salt to an extent.

but a lot are in “groups” which I’m not

a big fan of.

however the big question is gonnna be too,  can I keep my therapist (who works for pdoc) and switch pdocs. For the first time in forever me and tdoc are getting somewhere unlocking my past.

9 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

Looks like a lot of places I’ve called before around. Lonnnng wait times to get in and not great reviews.

i take psych reviews for doctors with a grain of salt to an extent.

but a lot are in “groups” which I’m not

a big fan of.

however the big question is gonnna be too,  can I keep my therapist (who works for pdoc) and switch pdocs. For the first time in forever me and tdoc are getting somewhere unlocking my past.

Changing your pdoc should definitely not affect your tdoc. That would seem terribly unethical. Try asking your tdoc what would happen? That should be kept completely confidential. Tell her/him your concerns, see what they have to say. 

24 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Changing your pdoc should definitely not affect your tdoc. That would seem terribly unethical. Try asking your tdoc what would happen? That should be kept completely confidential. Tell her/him your concerns, see what they have to say. 

I am going to , tommorow. But sometimes pdocs make u see their tdocs.