CrazyBoards.org

When will the Seroquel sleepies dissapear?

Ok, so I'm up to 800mg, have been for about a week and I gotta say, I think my fatigue has gotten  worse as my dosage was upped!  I know that is contrary to what you guys say here (small dose = sleepy, big dose = no sleepy), but I just can't figure this out.  I love waking up anxiety free and un-crazy but I don't know how much longer I can take the extreme fatigue I experience all day until around 5pm.  It's impossible to get jack squat done at work and that's no good.  Pleaseee someone tell me how long you had to stick it out before you stopped being a zombie in the mornings?? ;)

Being on 50 mg I often wonder how the hell anyone can function on a high dose....

Sorry, I have no advice for you Robot.  Hopefully it does wear off at the high dose.  It certainly doesn't at the low dose for me.  I'm a total zombie until I take my Effex and have 2 cups of coffee.

robot,

did you adjust/sleepiness go away at your lower dose of seroquel? It may be you need another week or so until your body gets used to the higher dose.

As always, YMMV. For me I have been on 50-400mg and there is no difference for me, Seroquel flat knocks me out all night and day. I have been at 100mg for months now and I am still tired all the time.

Hope your fatigue lessens soon.

Ug.  My sleepiness has been in full effect from 25mg up.... Anyone else been accused of drinking or doing drugs on this stuff?? :) Ha, I guess it's funny, but not really... I've been accused by two different people of drinking, when I take the Seroquel.  This shit is powerful and I'm too embarassed to admit I'm on an anti-psychotic.....

Love what this drug does for me, but I'm questioning these side effects.... ;)

Ok, so I'm up to 800mg, have been for about a week and I gotta say, I think my fatigue has gotten  worse as my dosage was upped!  I know that is contrary to what you guys say here (small dose = sleepy, big dose = no sleepy), but I just can't figure this out.  I love waking up anxiety free and un-crazy but I don't know how much longer I can take the extreme fatigue I experience all day until around 5pm.  It's impossible to get jack squat done at work and that's no good.  Pleaseee someone tell me how long you had to stick it out before you stopped being a zombie in the mornings?? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Robot.  First of all I love your cute mouse pic.

Now as for the seroquel...  You can expect it to make you feel sleepy for a few weeks - maybe 2-3 weeks.  That's not uncommon, especially if you have increased the dose quickly (eg over a number of days).

I am on 1500mg of seroquel per day and when I first jumped from 900mg I felt so tired each day, I had to take an afternoon nap each afternoon! And I dont mean an hr, they were around 4 hrs.

But more importantly this side effect normally passes quickly.  For you it might only be a few days. 

In all honesty I believe drugs like seroquel take a long time for you to stabilise at a new dose though.  At least a month. And sometimes the dr's dont tell you this.  This is why you need to give it time to stabilise, get over the sleepy effect and start feeling a little better, which is indeed the purpose of the medication.

Where people talk about increasing the dose making them less tired, this is very true but is a medium-long term effect.  Smaller doses long term tend to make people sleepy, whereas on a higher dose you will exceed that threshold and you should fine the medication both calming and mildly stimulating (I do). eg when i first went on seroquel I took 25mg/day and it knocked me out.  Now I am on 1500mg, a pretty high dose and it doesnt really make me tired at all.

I realise with work commitments, family commitments etc people often expect you to function normally on a drug like this.  The bottom line though is you do go through a period where you just cant function with the energy that you are used to.  And people need to respect this because it IS a big deal going on an anti-psychotic medication like seroquel.  The long term benefits do outweight the short term side effects for most people though.  You just need to put your feet up and try and take it easy for a while. maybe take some recreational leave or sick leave if you have it available asap.

A last point I will mention, is that a lot of people report a numb, zombie like feeling on the early days of seroquel.  From my experience this is true, but it passes very early - within a couple of weeks. And if you are like me one long term benefit you will get is a good night's sleep most nights, whilst feeling more energised and capable during the day. And it shuts down the voices and noisy channels in the brain, which is great.

Good luck and keep posting!

C

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent, Chimp, you give me hope!  SOOO glad someone with high dose seroquel experience posted.  I will definitley wait this out, because like I said, I love what this drug does for me, aside from the sleepy factor.  Thanks for the encouragement AND the reminder that yeah, this is kind of a big deal.  Not much sick leave left, but at least I work as a contractor, aside the govt. which allows me a bit of zone out time.... :) if you know what I am trying to say.......

I wrote this here, then decided to move it to family issues (see link it it works), but thought i'd excerpt a little here just the same as it very much pertains.  Don

know what the rules are on cross posting.

My son has been on Seroquel twice, most recently starting again a month ago.  Here's that exciting  except I mentioned...Deals with more than sleepiness (and also more than Seroquel).

http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showt...=0entry134958

Son 17 with sz was on 800 Seroquel for one school year (+ Strattera for ADD, which  probably  helped with S. side effects too)

He did great, fabulous

i'm always lurking so i guess i'll reply for a change. ;)

sometime earlyish last year i started taking seroquel just to help me sleep. ended up at 100mg at night. after a few months or so that stopped being at all sedating so i figured hey lets add a morning dose and see if it helps with my other shit. so the doc put me on 25mg in the morning for a week which was maybe a bit like being stoned lol. then the next week 50mg in the morning, then next week 75mg, then next week 100mg. didn't make me sleepy, guess once i got used to it i REALLY got used to it. so i was at 200mg a day for many months (100mg twice a day).

after months of arguing with myself over if i wanted to risk getting even fatter if i got the dose raised i was so damn sick of ruminating thoughts and other shit that i went to the doc hmm 5-6 weeks ago? and had it raised to 150mg twice a day. so 300mg a day (well i took 125mg twice a day for 4 days in between so i didn't make the jump all at once).  no problems with being sleepy throughout that either. i must say that 300mg a day is quite an improvement over 200mg a day.

short version: no it doesn't make me sleepy as long as i get my 9 hours. otherwise i'll be dragging my feet and yawning all day and probably take an afternoon nap.

hopefully i made sense. :)

NZer

I only took 400 out of my 800mg dose last night and was still quite fatigued when I woke up, but nothing compared to how out of it I am when I take the full dose......so basically I'm really questioning this low dose=more sleepy rule.

A bigger dose made me more sleepy. For me, 50mg had no effect, with the exception of the first time I took it. 400mg however would knock me flat out for 20 hours.

Zyprexa's another odd one for me. Some nights it makes me sleeepy, other nights there's no effect and I have to pop Thorazine if I want to sleep.

Beats me. I guess everyone's different.

I've also questioned the 'higher dose = less sedation' theory. It's the opposite for me.

25mg will act as a great anti-anxiety dose....calms me & I stay awake/alert.

On 500mg, I nod off quickly, sleep deeply, get up easy, but take maybe an hour to really wake up properly.

Similar to NZer, how I get out of bed is also heavily reliant on the amount of sleep I get. I have to get at least 6hrs, otherwise I'm dizzy & nauseous. And the least amount of sleep hrs = needing a nap at some stage during the day.

I definately find that if my dose lowers, I'll wake up earlier and be less tired.

;)   :)

Without doubt medciations affect different people differently.

I maintain fairly strongly though, whilst you dont truly build up tolerance to Seroquel (in the same way you do with benzos) higher dosers will make the casual user tired but shouldnt make the daily user tired.

In other words, if your like me, taking 600mg morning, 300mg lunch and 600mg evening, within a few weeks you should be able to function normally (mind you on a lower dose for most), whereas if you are a casual user, perhaps taking 100mg/day and occassionally take a larger amount, expect it to knock you around. 

Also, if you typically take your larger dose at night, in combination with the psychology of sleep its more likely to help you sleep.  And indeed the lower doses seem to make people more tired, even if the higher doses dont.

But in my case, I swear, those 600mg doses do not make me tired most of the time. I did however switch my lunchtime dose with my evening dose because I was becoming quite a fan of afternoon naps - truly loving them and these arent really practicable long term ;)

• 4 weeks later...

On lower doses, like under 200mg, I was literally crawling on the floor, had to be fed and helped to the toilet, shook, fell, couldn't dress myself, and if I did try to eat on my own, ate like an animal from a bowl on the floor...literally.

On 800mg I slept for 14hrs a day but was otherwise functional.

The truth is that no matter what you call functional at whatever level you take, Seroquel is very, very sedating. Don't expect it to go away. Sorry to ruin the party. It is just one of those drugs. Expect to get fatter too.

Archived