CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Kaona

New dx of Avoidant Personality Disorder- need help finding info and resources

Hey everyone. I just got diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder this morning. The psych said that due to the severity and long standing length of my symptoms, it fits much more accurately than Social Anxiety Disorder (something I was diagnosed with 15 years ago). So, he took the Social Anxiety DX off and added the Avoidant Personality Disorder. I'm trying to find out as much accurate info as possible about it to gain a better understanding, and to figure out how to move forward with this. I have been Googling, but the amount of info is overwhelming. And I also want to make sure I'm getting all accurate info. Any links you know of that pertain to this, or even if you have a personal account of living with it and how it impacts you, would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for reading this ❤️

• Like 1

i think @DammitJanet also recently was dx'd with AvPD -- you might want to chat with her about your experiences.

there's a reddit community for individuals diagnosed with AvPD that has some links to some resources for learning more about it. it might be a good place to read about the experiences of other people with the same dx. 

if scientific journals are your thing, here's an article from NBCI about some basic (but detailed) information about AvPD, comorbidity, features, and treatment. here's another study from 2018 about living with AvPD.

when i got my OCPD dx, i spent a lot of time reading really basic articles about what OCPD is. we're talking like, psychcentral.com. i also read the wikipedia to death, and followed a bunch of references in the wikipedia article and read those too. i read the DSM criteria for it over and over again. i also am on tumblr and have been for many years, so i read lots of posts by people with OCPD. it was a handy way for me to get insight into what it was like to live with OCPD beyond the impersonal DSM criteria. it's social media, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but i came out with some good info. i know there's an AvPD community on tumblr as well (try the tags "avpd" or "actuallyavpd"), so you might want to try that if you're familiar with tumblr at all.

i hope getting your new dx helps to make the path towards treatment clearer for you. i know it did for me.

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if this is helpful but I was dx'd with AvPD a few years ago. I'd say social anxiety defined most of my life, personality, and most of my decisions I ever made. It prevented me from getting help sooner, from having more friends, from enjoying life, and allowed my other mental health issues to grow. I don't expose myself to social situations unless I really have to. Intimacy causes the highest level of anxiety I have ever experienced in my life.

I would say that AvPD is the largest practical obstacle. Depression and Gender Dysphoria cause a deep sense of hopelessness, but they're not always on my mind. AvPD symptoms are always there and they hurt in a very practical way by causing anxiety and the urge to escape. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to enjoy a meal in a restaurant, meet new people, or an event with many people. Of course I can do it if I force myself, but I don't enjoy it at all, it's terrifying and makes me want to die even more.

I don't know if it made a difference regarding therapy. I never felt that therapists do anything other than listen and take my money regardless of the diagnosis, and my psychiatrist doesn't even care about diagnoses.

Edited by onsenseal
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, echolocation said:

i think @DammitJanet also recently was dx'd with AvPD -- you might want to chat with her about your experiences.

there's a reddit community for individuals diagnosed with AvPD that has some links to some resources for learning more about it. it might be a good place to read about the experiences of other people with the same dx. 

if scientific journals are your thing, here's an article from NBCI about some basic (but detailed) information about AvPD, comorbidity, features, and treatment. here's another study from 2018 about living with AvPD.

when i got my OCPD dx, i spent a lot of time reading really basic articles about what OCPD is. we're talking like, psychcentral.com. i also read the wikipedia to death, and followed a bunch of references in the wikipedia article and read those too. i read the DSM criteria for it over and over again. i also am on tumblr and have been for many years, so i read lots of posts by people with OCPD. it was a handy way for me to get insight into what it was like to live with OCPD beyond the impersonal DSM criteria. it's social media, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but i came out with some good info. i know there's an AvPD community on tumblr as well (try the tags "avpd" or "actuallyavpd"), so you might want to try that if you're familiar with tumblr at all.

i hope getting your new dx helps to make the path towards treatment clearer for you. i know it did for me.

Yep I did recently get this tacked on. 😂 but I had never heard about it prior and when I looked it up I was amazed at how exact it fit me. I’m not in a place yet that I can educate about it, but definitely go to the places echo mentioned...such a relief to know that my tdoc says she has things up her sleeve to help!

Posted (edited)

I believe my father has this (never formally diagnosed, he would never go to a pdoc or GP for that matter). It was brought on because he moved every 6 months in childhood, always changing schools. He never had friends and stopped trying. He became a bookworm and developed particular obsessions with random things he'd read..like spending hours reading trade magazines about planes, or species of plants..

After coming home from work (he was a workaholic) he'd go to another room and listen to music on his headphones the entire evening. He never spoke about his childhood or family, and would avoid all talk with my mother's friends (and never talk with a stranger, hates all small talk). He refused to ask for help at any store, for directions...routinely avoids being seen or out around people...and he can spend days without speaking to anyone (just reading on his computer) He does not appear to be anxious at all about it (which I think might be one of the differentiators between AvPD and Social Anxiety disorder...I don't know, I also wonder if it might be a bit of Aspergers?)

Edited by Blahblah

6 hours ago, Kaona said:

So, he took the Social Anxiety DX off and added the Avoidant Personality Disorder. I'm trying to find out as much accurate info as possible about it to gain a better understanding, and to figure out how to move forward with this.

You levelled up! 😁 These diagnoses do seem quite arbitrary sometimes, which doesn't mean that you aren't suffering what you're suffering, but you might be underwhelmed by the scientific evidence on these personality disorders. It's probably something to do with the amygdala or attachment theory or something. Sorry, I'm a bit of a cynic. It's real of course, and I'd probably be diagnosed with a PD if anyone could be bothered. God I'm sounding like a dick.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Fluent In Silence said:

You levelled up! 😁 These diagnoses do seem quite arbitrary sometimes, which doesn't mean that you aren't suffering what you're suffering, but you might be underwhelmed by the scientific evidence on these personality disorders. It's probably something to do with the amygdala or attachment theory or something. Sorry, I'm a bit of a cynic. It's real of course, and I'd probably be diagnosed with a PD if anyone could be bothered. God I'm sounding like a dick.

Well, the dx helped me understanding myself better, so it has some benefit to some. Kinda...validated my experiences I guess. 

Edited by DammitJanet

On 8/9/2019 at 7:36 AM, DammitJanet said:

Well, the dx helped me understanding myself better, so it has some benefit to some. Kinda...validated my experiences I guess. 

I agree with you there. I'm still confused and my mind is swimming, but from what I have read of it so far, it fits well and makes sense of why I always seemed to find the Social Anxiety Disorder therapy and group therapies so hard, and not effective enough... They were having me do things that were MUCH higher on the anxiety scale for me compared to others in the groups, and at the time I couldn't understand why things that were like a 5 out of 100 on the anxiety scale for most were more like 50 out of 100 for me!

On 8/8/2019 at 10:55 PM, Fluent In Silence said:

Sorry. I didn't sound at all understanding or empathetic did I? Whatever scientific argument I was trying to make I still don't expect anyone to like me because I find it hard to like myself.

• Like 1

Self Injury Free Since August 16, 2019

Yesterday? 😥 I used to self-harm but I haven't done it for a long time now. Someone introduced me to a great religion called 'Scientology' and I've been better ever since. Can I send you some educational literature? What's your email address and pin number? Sorry. Pretending to belong to an exploitative and abusive cult is a great way to make friends. And I'm talking a load of shit because I wish I could tell you why you shouldn't self-harm without being a hypocrite. I can't because I know why you do it, and while I haven't done it in a long time I have developed other habits which harm me (cirrhosis leaves scars where nobody can see). So "don't self-harm and try to be like me" is not something I'd recommend. I guess it's that the times when I used to cut myself were some of the most awful and lonely times of my life, so I feel for anyone who is going through that.