CrazyBoards.org

ln009

Stimulants help with depression?

Does anyone find that stimulants are helpful in treating depression? Is is only in the short-term or can you take them long-term?

Does anyone do stimulant monotherapy or do you take the stimulant in addition to other meds?

Thank you!!

I'm not going to talk about the current data on this. I'm going to talk about my own extensive experience with using methylphenidate-based and amphetaminergic meds to treat my decades-long severely Treatment Resistant Depression.

In a nutshell, the four Adderall doses I take every day afford me brief glimpses of feeling "normal". I briefly want to do things, care about things and feel mostly human basically. Other than those periods, I desperately want to be dead.

And before everyone jumps on the "stimulants are short term, this won't last" wagon, I've been taking this amount of Adderall for over a year. Yes, it is hugely less effective (for my depression) than when first prescribed, but it's still literally invaluable to me for the aforementioned reasons.

I cannot convey how important stimulants are to me in my fight against TRD.

FTR my regimen is Lexapro, Rexulti, Abilify, Trazodone, Buspar, Adderall.

Pete

( X-post from http://dr-bob.org/babble/20190728/msgs/1105693.html )

• Like 2

I haven't used them personally. I included them in a list of possibilities in conversation with my pdoc and he said he never prescribes them as an adjunct for MDD. From my reading, not all pdocs share that stance. Stimulants do get included in some treatment guidelines as a (roughly) third-line adjunct treatment. The research I looked at had fairly mixed results, but I was running low on better options, so I wanted to consider it

• Like 1

Stimulants are sometimes used in cocktails that are overly sedating. I feel amphetamine in my cocktail helps my MDD. Back when MAOI's were used commonly, amphetamine was often added to it as an augmenter.

I don't think I could survive without my stimulant to be honest. The past year and a half I've been on Dexedrine 60 mg has been one of the best years I've had in a long, long time. It is probably one of the main meds that really helps both my ADHD, mood, and motivation. I did kinda crash in February and my pdoc and I are still trying to get my cocktail right (may just found the right combination for now).

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 3:49 PM, ln009 said:

Does anyone find that stimulants are helpful in treating depression? Is is only in the short-term or can you take them long-term?

Does anyone do stimulant monotherapy or do you take the stimulant in addition to other meds?

Thank you!!

They help me with motivation and focusing despite my depressive symptoms as well as countering sedation from from other meds. I’ve never heard of stim monotherpy for depression though 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 3:11 PM, notloki said:

Stimulants are sometimes used in cocktails that are overly sedating. I feel amphetamine in my cocktail helps my MDD. Back when MAOI's were used commonly, amphetamine was often added to it as an augmenter.

Nardil + Ritalin and Nardil + Adderall were the best combos I've ever been on, and that's saying something. I felt Normal, energetic, ready to tackle the day, could think laterally, was resilient to failure, robust, interpersonal, witty. It was an amazing period. Then my PDoc got cold feet and stopped prescribing the stimulant and I descended back into hell.

11 hours ago, sming said:

Nardil + Ritalin and Nardil + Adderall were the best combos I've ever been on, and that's saying something. I felt Normal, energetic, ready to tackle the day, could think laterally, was resilient to failure, robust, interpersonal, witty. It was an amazing period. Then my PDoc got cold feet and stopped prescribing the stimulant and I descended back into hell.

Same with me for Parnate + Adderall, but it didn't last long. I was initially on Parnate 20 mg, and after a few months it kinda lost its potency, so my pdoc took me off of Adderall and grudgingly moved me up to Parnate 40 mg (without stimulant), and I crashed through the floor.

18 hours ago, sming said:

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you have some choices to potentially help.

7 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Same with me for Parnate + Adderall, but it didn't last long. I was initially on Parnate 20 mg, and after a few months it kinda lost its potency, so my pdoc took me off of Adderall and grudgingly moved me up to Parnate 40 mg (without stimulant), and I crashed through the floor.

I'm sorry. I hope for all of us we can find some answers.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ln009 said:

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you have some choices to potentially help.

Thank you, that's kind of you to say. I hear tomorrow whether I'm suitable for VNS, which is about the only thing I've got left to try. 

Edited by sming