CrazyBoards.org
looking for answers

How many psych doctors hve u had?

As I’m going for a new eval this week they asked for history of psychiatric care I’m in my mid 30’s. Started seeing a psych around 14. 

If you include the guy I saw one time, and my Iop doc I hve six, seems like a lot.

Posted (edited)

Only because 1 of them quit the hospital and stopped taking the insurance (out of network is not covered for me unless it's an emergency). Miss her, she was a psych that also acted as a therapist.

Current one used to be the head of the dept. Semi retired but I'll take someone with those creds.

I also had a 14 year gap in treatment.  Treatment periods were 17-18, 22, 34-present.

Despite the ambiguous DX, i seem to have a very straight forward case when it comes to meds. Maybe but treat the symptoms, not treat the label.

Now unfucking the non-med part...that's a whole nother ball game.

Edited by argh

18 minutes ago, argh said:

Only because 1 of them quit the hospital and stopped taking the insurance (out of network is not covered for me unless it's an emergency). Miss her, she was a psych that also acted as a therapist.

Current one used to be the head of the dept. Semi retired but I'll take someone with those creds.

I also had a 14 year gap in treatment.  Treatment periods were 17-18, 22, 34-present.

Despite the ambiguous DX, i seem to have a very straight forward case when it comes to meds. Maybe but treat the symptoms, not treat the label.

Now unfucking the non-med part...that's a whole nother ball game.

WELL THATS great its straightforward, seems like u had good docs, 34-present could represent a year or 30 ............otherwise the other two episodes were like 2 years..........ive been there since 14..........so dont feel awful

5, I have changed for various reasons, one no longer took my insurance, one got weird and started ranting at appointments, one was just too long of a commute. I like the one i have now. I will probably stay with him until he retires. I never had to give much history, except family. I brought in a list of meds I have tried.

I hope your eval goes well.

• Like 1

If you include psych nurse practitioners I have had 8, not including hospital pdocs, partial hospitalizations (done that twice) or ones I didn't like and refused to go back to (happened once). I've moved a lot though and have been seeking mental health help for almost 20 years.

Good luck with the eval.

So about same amount of doctors and time thanks!

1 hour ago, confused said:

5, I have changed for various reasons, one no longer took my insurance, one got weird and started ranting at appointments, one was just too long of a commute. I like the one i have now. I will probably stay with him until he retires. I never had to give much history, except family. I brought in a list of meds I have tried.

I hope your eval goes well.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

WELL THATS great its straightforward, seems like u had good docs, 34-present could represent a year or 30 ............otherwise the other two episodes were like 2 years..........ive been there since 14..........so dont feel awful

Nah. Episodes since 12 or 13 that just got worse as I got older. I just pretty much ignored)denied them in my 20s to early 30s because I thought it was just my personality and that I could overcome it. Damn was I wrong.

9 hours ago, argh said:

Nah. Episodes since 12 or 13 that just got worse as I got older. I just pretty much ignored)denied them in my 20s to early 30s because I thought it was just my personality and that I could overcome it. Damn was I wrong.

wow im sorry, well at least you are no  longer ignoreed!

Just now, looking for answers said:

wow im sorry, well at least you are no  longer ignoreed!

thanks buddy. best of luck with your new pdoc.

is the plan to do a total wash out of your current meds and reboot?

4 minutes ago, argh said:

thanks buddy. best of luck with your new pdoc.

is the plan to do a total wash out of your current meds and reboot?

good question im gonna let them decide. But I want a severe peel back. I Needed them at a point, maybe. But theres a person in me that cant get out, im just flat

I've had four, ie I am on my fourth. They have all been good. I would say the present one is the best.

I’m on my fourth in 8 years, so it’s been a bit turbulent. I actually went through 3 in 5 years before current. First was quack, second was super nice but couldn’t beat the rapid cycling I then had, and third seemed if he was just in it for the money and was thus an asshole 

I refused psych meds or care for waaay many years but did occasionally see therapists. Then I saw a self proclaimed depression expert who ended up having her license pulled for that when her patient committed suicide and it seemed she really was a pediatrician with no psych training. Then I saw one for years as he added and subtracted wrong diagnoses. I should have switched. Then due to insurance I switched to the current one, who finally got it right and believes what I tell him. So is that 2, or 3?  Considering my problems are lifelong, that’s not many. 

Although I have had diagnosed MDD since I was a young teen, I did not get medication until I was in college (my parents didn't believe in the diagnosis, said I was "fine"). I saw the campus psychiatrist 2-3 times, one med trial. I didn't like the side effects, and she was unwilling to let me try anything else.

A year or two later, the (off-campus) PA I saw for gdoc stuff started prescribing psych meds for me on the condition that I was also in therapy. We tried a bunch of stuff, she kept me stable-ish through college and a year or two after. My illness progressed and she referred me out. I've been with my current pdoc for 7-ish years, I think. 4 insurance companies, and I'm privileged enough that I can afford to pay her out of pocket (at a negotiated rate), as she has not been "in network" since the first insurance plan. Otherwise I would have had to switch.

I've been consistently on psych meds for around 11 years, I think. I've also been hospitalized several times and had meds managed by IOP pdocs for a few weeks a couple of times. I don't tend to count those, as they were not ongoing relationships.

So... one family medicine PA and 2 pdocs. Plus intermittent crisis management. My primary diagnoses of MDD, GAD and ADHD are pretty solid and never really been questioned. My pdoc and tdoc are pretty clear on social anxiety disorder being a big issue too - never been discussed by other docs. There have been suggestions of other additional diagnoses including CPTSD/trauma history, BPD and pure "O" OCD. My pdoc and tdoc nix the BPD dx, but the others are considered possible.

I've had 3. Two as a teenager, then I went without meds for most of my twenties, and now I have my current pdoc.

First one was in my early 20’s, for probably worst depressive episode of my life. Long IP stay, then even longer IOP. Then I went two decades without, depressive cycles were never bad enough to seek help, and hypos/manias were just too damn productive and fun. It all went to hell again in my early 40’s. Had 4 short term pdocs, then went back to the second one because the rest were crap. I’ve been with him now for... 7 years, maybe? 

Hmm, 1, 2, 3, 4...

3rd was the best. And the only one that didn't end because I moved. He moved his practice, and it was deeply disturbing to experience. 

Three, other than hospital stays or consults (2 for consults). The first one was a raging dick, and I complained to the director of the clinic about him. The second one was mediocre, and I saw her for a few years for meds and therapy. My last one, who I also see for meds and therapy,  I have been with for 20 years, and I have a lot of faith in him. I didn't go to a psychiatrist for meds until my late 20s, even though my depressions started at age 15.

Posted (edited)

Had 4 regular pdocs over 20 years (with breaks)

# 1 was on/off my entire 20's (2 acute hospitalizations, intensive OP, groups, worst episodes). I never tried anyone else at that time (not sure why). He was highly reputable at hospital, but eventually I felt over medicated on A/Ps. The depression & apathy I had was written off, not well treated, because I was "functional" ... I then had a 2 year break...

# 2 was when I moved countries, saw him 2 years. He was willing to trial me on stimulant, which was helpful, so I commend him for that.

# 3 was after moving (again). Very young, quick to diagnose (who gets diagnosed within 20 minutes of a 1st assessment?) He was adamant about me never calling him or emailing him for any reason, which put me off. I saw him 3 times.

# 4 (current) is by far the best. She calmly listens and considers my suggestions. A minimalist, she does not over medicate. She is attentive and replies to email and text. Been 3 years and pretty stable, so I don't want to switch. My episodes are more manageable compared to my 20's-early 30's, so hopefully will be maintenance-focused from now on (fingers crossed)

Plus finding someone new (that's good and accessible) is a HUGE HEADACHE!!!

Edited by Blahblah

Maybe six or seven?  I have seen a few once or twice, then stopped treatment.  A couple have left the clinics I was at.  I get a different diagnosis just about every time which is fun.  One used to give me a receipt to give to my insurance (weird insurance at the time) and I'd go home and look up the diagnostic codes she'd used and they changed almost every time.  I must have been a confusing case....although in her defense I was on a lot of street drugs at the time so it may have been difficult to tell what was going on.  She's really the only one I really connected with and after I imploded and stopped treatment for a while I haven't been able to find her.  Maybe she retired.