CrazyBoards.org

My PA decided that i should try Vraylar 1.5mg for my Unipolar depression and anxiety. I know that this medication is commonly used for Bipolar but he decided i should give it a 2 week run since i have basically tried many other medications without success ( Cymbalta and ??? I can't remember which one, did work for me 10 years ago ).

Your thoughts would be kindly appreciated since most of you are much smarter then I when it comes to medication options.

I am currently on Vraylar 1.5mg ( took my first pill today ); Seroquel 300mg ( 6 months ); Klonopin .5mg X 3 times daily ( 1 year ). Just tried Effexor 225mg ( 3 months ) and then Cymbalta 90mg ( 2 months ) and both failed to help my current condition.

I see my Pdoc on 9/5/19 and can either stay on the Vraylar ( up the dose ? ) or change to something else ?

Over the last 20 years i have tried different meds. and can't remember them all but if you have an idea I am all ears.

Again, thank you for your time.

You may get more replies if you post this under antipsychotics. 

You may get more replies if you post this under antipsychotics. 

Or just under depression. 

yeah after posting the question i realized i put it in the wrong category, i meant to put it under antipsychotics - if I don't get enough traction here i shall move it - thanks.

12 minutes ago, sook said:

yeah after posting the question i realized i put it in the wrong category, i meant to put it under antipsychotics - if I don't get enough traction here i shall move it - thanks.

i dont see why not. BUt i do know vraylar can take a LONG time to see full effects like 2+months.........you can see effects in 2 weeks, but not that whole thing

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what 5-HTx receptor does when agonized or antagonized.

That said, Vraylar is similar, in a sense to Abilify as it is a dopamine partial agonist vs the usual dopamine antagonism.

If dopamine is your problem, the agonist effect could boost your dopamine as it has an intrinsic value of ~40% or so.

it's definitely worth a shot if you've been through the wringer. stay the course and give it a chance

What was your issue with Abilify? Did it work but couldnt deal with the side effects? There's a related drug, rexulti which is similar but instead of a ~60%+ intrinsic activation, you're looking at about ~40% too.

lyrica or neurontin are options for anxiety.

there is also buspar which is used for anxiety and to boost antidepressants.

have you tried remeron? By all accounts when it works it works well.

did you ever get to 200mg or above with Lamictal?

Edited by argh

13 minutes ago, argh said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what 5-HTx receptor does when agonized or antagonized.

That said, Vraylar is similar, in a sense to Abilify as it is a dopamine partial agonist vs the usual dopamine antagonism.

If dopamine is your problem, the agonist effect could boost your dopamine as it has an intrinsic value of ~40% or so.

it's definitely worth a shot if you've been through the wringer. stay the course and give it a chance

What was your issue with Abilify? Did it work but couldnt deal with the side effects? There's a related drug, rexulti which is similar but instead of a ~60%+ intrinsic activation, you're looking at about ~40% too.

I was gonna bring up rexulti as well. Also, 2 weeks is pretty quick, Vraylar is slow and it also takes many APs longer to fully treat depression than acute manic episodes (although I think Vraylar is just overall not fast acting) 

ever taken/discussed a TCA? 

17 hours ago, looking for answers said:

i dont see why not. BUt i do know vraylar can take a LONG time to see full effects like 2+months.........you can see effects in 2 weeks, but not that whole thing

Yeah 2 weeks is probably too short of time so I may give it longer.

17 hours ago, argh said:

I have tried Abilify; Rexulti; Remeron and Lamictal with no good results.

never taken a TCA though but these are the old antidepresants right ? 

1 hour ago, sook said:

Yeah 2 weeks is probably too short of time so I may give it longer.

I have tried Abilify; Rexulti; Remeron and Lamictal with no good results.

never taken a TCA though but these are the old antidepresants right ? 

Yes, many docs stay away, at least until you start to run low on options and there is a higher side effect profile but they can help with depression and anxiety when first line antidepressants aren’t helpful 

On 8/20/2019 at 7:23 PM, looking for answers said:

Really? I’ve been on Vraylar 1.5 mg for about 4 weeks and I haven’t noticed many improvements.

1 hour ago, lisa2712 said:

Really? I’ve been on Vraylar 1.5 mg for about 4 weeks and I haven’t noticed many improvements.

well like i said you CAN, doesnt mean you will. I noticed things after a few weeks, but it took about 2-3 months till full effects for me..........

• Thanks 1