CrazyBoards.org
crow66

Gotta go to the hospital! But agoraphobia

I’ve been struggling with agoraphobia for sometime now. And its only really gotten worse...I don’t know what to do...it’s up to me to get myself to the hospital and signed in etc...my left leg, below the knee is quite swollen and I’ve done enough web doctoring to decide that it’s likely a blood clot caused by my broken down recliner that puts pressure on the back of my legs. It doesn’t lay flat and I don’t have anywhere to stretch out...though the floor is an option that I haven’t taken advantage of.  I’m not buying furniture for my new house until I get a job (ha), so the broken recliner is all i’ve got.  I’ve spent so much that real furniture just has to wait.  But I am considering eventually getting a new recliner, i’ve got to do something about that situation.

I’ve closed my world down to a very-very limited or no exposure to daylight, crowds, people or news.  My tv channel lineup is narrowed to just a handful of ‘safe’ channels and my web activity is limited to ‘safe’ sites (really just music, sci-fi (Hulu) or old time radio programs) And now I’ve got to go get my leg checked out...this is going to be a lot of exposure.  I’m having a very tough time making this happen.  How do I get out of the house and get into the hospital ER?  

My little ventures to purchase cat supplies (always right before the store closes at night) and to the grocery store (always right before it closes at night) are trivial compared to a hospital trip.  Also, if they pickup on my illness I’m afraid they won’t discharge me directly to my home and that will open a Pandora’s box of family complications.  

My oldest sister is the only person in my life that knows what’s going on (mentally and now physically) and she’s going to care for the cats if I get admitted so that’s going to be ok, though the cat’s schedule will get screwed up pretty badly (I have them well trained, but that’s a whole other issue).  

Sorry for babbling, but I don’t know how i’m going to get in for treatment. Any suggestions?  My sister lives 70 miles away and has to rely on her husband to drive her to the city I live in (traffic is too much for her), but they will make the trips to feed and take care of the boxes.  My local hospital is about <2 miles from my house, an incredibly convenient location.  The leg isn’t going to get better without some sort of intervention as far as I can tell.  Ideas?

Thanks,

crow66

Do you drive? I’m getting the feeling that you don’t. I think you should call a taxi. There’s nothing more anonymous than a taxi. It’s a safe little bubble that goes from point a to point b with just you and the driver, and the driver isn’t interested in you. Driving is his job. Believe me, he will have seen weirder than a guy in the back seat who doesn’t want to talk.

You could also try calling a local non-emergency number and asking their advice. I assume you’re trying to avoid an ambulance ride? 

• Like 1

Thank you Janet and Gearhead,  

You’re so right Janet, this swelling is dangerous and it’s got to be addressed (been reading). I do have some Lorazepam that I ALWAYS forget about...if I take that it might get me out the door...thank you for bringing prn anxiety meds.  It’s so strange that I have that available but never think about it.  

I drive just a bit and at night almost exclusively...my truck is part of my cocoon.  Getting to my doctor’s appointments (weekly) is absolute hell and it’s the only time I go out during the daylight...but that’s going to a familiar place and where I can scoot from the truck into the building very quickly.  I get into my truck in the garage so there’s no outside exposure doing that.  A cab or Uber is an idea, but i’m pretty sure I’d flake out getting into an unusual vehicle.  The one good thing is that the hospital is SO close. 

Thanks for the comments...I guess i’ll get some Lorazepam into my system and just make this trip happen.  There is no other choice because the swelling isn’t getting better. 

crow66

• Like 1

Please let us know how you’re doing when you can. Good luck.

• Like 2

Well, I put the trip off until around 11 last night...but I did go in.  It’s cellulitis, x-ray was fine and the ultrasound showed my veins were those of someone that is or was a runner (in my case it’s was a runner, lol).

3 hours ago, crow66 said:

Well, I put the trip off until around 11 last night...but I did go in.  It’s cellulitis, x-ray was fine and the ultrasound showed my veins were those of someone that is or was a runner (in my case it’s was a runner, lol).

Well, that’s good. What’s the treatment?

Posted (edited)

I kinda hacked one of my nails and made it bleed a week or so ago...that’s the only skin break we could see.  Even though things are really swollen they didn’t think I needed anything via IV.  Cellulitis can be very dangerous but my case should respond to oral antibiotics so I was given a prescription for Cephalexin with the standard...if it gets worse head back instruction.  So I’m happy.  

Regarding the vein thrombosis concern, my internet diagnostic work had included cellulitis as a differential diagnosis but this seemed to be way too deep for that in my mind plus I’ve been really sedentary lately (grounded to the house and all).  The two conditions look quite similar and without doing an ultrasound you really can’t rule out a clot. My foot and ankle are red in color which points more in the cellulitis direction but I’m colorblind so that indication was lost to me. 

Edited by crow66
I don’t understand the font growth
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, crow66 said:

I kinda hacked one of my nails and made it bleed a week or so ago...that’s the only skin break we could see.  Even though things are really swollen they didn’t think I needed anything via IV.  Cellulitis can be very dangerous but my case should respond to oral antibiotics so I was given a prescription for Cephalexin with the standard...if it gets worse head back instruction.  So I’m happy.  

Regarding the vein thrombosis concern, my internet diagnostic work had included cellulitis as a differential diagnosis but this seemed to be way too deep for that in my mind plus I’ve been really sedentary lately (grounded to the house and all).  The two conditions look quite similar and without doing an ultrasound you really can’t rule out a clot. My foot and ankle are red in color which points more in the cellulitis direction but I’m colorblind so that indication was lost to me. 

I’m really glad it turned out so well.