CrazyBoards.org

So I have severe muscular pain from my neck down to my traps. 

200 Tramadol isn’t doing enough, and flexeril and methocarbomal both screwed my mood up terribly. 

Are there any muscle relaxers that won’t mess with my mood so much? Desperate. 

Soma? But I think they’ve gotten away from using that 

Also possibly skelaxin. That is sornetimes a first line cuz it can be mild, but some people say it’s too mild to be useful for severe issues

• Thanks 1

Yes, I need something pretty strong. She felt my neck and said it feels like ropes on both sides. I’ve never heard of soma. I’ll ask her about it. Is it ok on moods?

Soma has depression as a side effect, skelaxin doesn’t have depression listed

• Thanks 1

Just now, Iceberg said:

Soma has depression as a side effect, skelaxin doesn’t have depression listed

Very good to know. She brought up one that I think started with a B. But I was scared to ty another. But now that 200 Tramadol isn’t doing it, something needs to give. 

Both have interaction warnings about taking them with tramadol causing drowsiness

• Like 1

Meh. Well, maybe if the muscle med works well enough I won’t need the Tramadol. I hope. 

1 minute ago, DammitJanet said:

Very good to know. She brought up one that I think started with a B. But I was scared to ty another. But now that 200 Tramadol isn’t doing it, something needs to give. 

baclofen?

(apologies if you've already tried it...it's just the first that came to mind when you said muscle relaxer starting with a B.)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Could it have been baclofen?

Sorry dances I posted at the same time wasn’t trying to repeat 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dancesintherain said:

baclofen?

(apologies if you've already tried it...it's just the first that came to mind when you said muscle relaxer starting with a B.)

Yes, I think that’s the one she mentioned! I’m wondering if that one would be less likely to mess up my mood. 

2 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Could it have been baclofen?

Sorry dances I posted at the same time wasn’t trying to repeat 

Yes, pretty sure that was it!

2 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

baclofen?

Does it work well?

a friend with pretty severe muscle tightness and pain takes it and finds it helps somewhat.  nothing completely gets rid of the pain, but it makes a dent into it.  I don't have any experience personally.

• Thanks 1

I’ve taken baclofen. In my experience, it does not work as well as cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril), but it does work. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

a friend with pretty severe muscle tightness and pain takes it and finds it helps somewhat.  nothing completely gets rid of the pain, but it makes a dent into it.  I don't have any experience personally.

The doctor just offered to call it in, thank goodness. I just need to get some pain relief, anything. And be able to check my freakin blind spot when driving!

1 minute ago, Gearhead said:

I’ve taken baclofen. In my experience, it does not work as well as cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril), but it does work. 

Thank you. She just called it in so I’m hoping it helps at least some. I can’t even check my blind spot right now!

1 minute ago, DammitJanet said:

The doctor just offered to call it in, thank goodness. I just need to get some pain relief, anything. And be able to check my freakin blind spot when driving!

Thank you. She just called it in so I’m hoping it helps at least some. I can’t even check my blind spot right now!

Have you tried things like hot packs (I prefer damp hot to the dry heat of heating pads) and rubbing your muscles with a tennis ball? Don’t laugh. Those little fuckers are as effective as a lot of masseuses at breaking up muscle knots.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

Have you tried things like hot packs (I prefer damp hot to the dry heat of heating pads) and rubbing your muscles with a tennis ball? Don’t laugh. Those little fuckers are as effective as a lot of masseuses at breaking up muscle knots.

She actually did recommend the tennis balls! I’ll have to wait until I get paid, but I’m definitely gonna try ! Unfortunately, my heating pad didn’t come with me to the hotel and can’t afford to buy a new one. Icy hot would be hard to apply because it hurts so much to reach back there. Actually just remembered I have a ball or two of Abbys. Thank you for the help!

38 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

She actually did recommend the tennis balls! I’ll have to wait until I get paid, but I’m definitely gonna try ! Unfortunately, my heating pad didn’t come with me to the hotel and can’t afford to buy a new one. Icy hot would be hard to apply because it hurts so much to reach back there. Actually just remembered I have a ball or two of Abbys. Thank you for the help!

try a lacrosse ball. it's dense enough to release muscle knots. a very very slight give so it's not like you're massaging yourself with a rock but not as much give as a tennis ball. don't bother with the ones that are labeled as trigger point or massage balls. just go into a sporting goods store and buy them for half the price.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, argh said:

try a lacrosse ball. it's dense enough to release muscle knots. a very very slight give so it's not like you're massaging yourself with a rock but not as much give as a tennis ball. don't bother with the ones that are labeled as trigger point or massage balls. just go into a sporting goods store and buy them for half the price.

My dog has a couple of balls. Can’t afford to pay more than a buck at the dollar store. 

dj, have you tried taking a hot bath? i'm not sure if your hotel room has a bathtub in it -- i have a feeling you've said it doesn't, so apologies if that's not an option. or, does the pool have a hot tub you can use? barring that, a really hot shower can help sometimes too, especially if you let the bathroom get steamy and just stand there for a bit while the water runs down your back.

putting the tennis ball between your back and the wall and then leaning into it and rolling around a bit worked great for me when i had back trouble. round door knobs work okay in a pinch too. can you reach any of the sore spots on your neck? finding the knots and applying pressure with your knuckles or thumb can provide significant short term relief. 

lastly, have you tried naproxen/Aleeve? it's just an NSAID like ibuprofen, but i find it way more effective. it works pretty well on my back when it flares up.

Thanks for responding! No bathtub, no hot tub. Can’t take any nsaids because of gastric bypass. 😐 I do take very hot showers, believe me. Long, long ones. 😂 

no round doorknobs, only the lever type here. But I’m about to try one of Abby’s balls. I do press the knots I can get to, but some of them hurt too much to reach to. 

She did call in some baclofen? I think that’s what it’s called. I’ll get that tomorrow. Fortunately I’ve paid enough copays for the year so the rest are free for the rest of the year! I do go in the pool for an hour each morning, but that’s mainly for stretching and it helps a lot to relax. 

Thanks for such a thoughtful reply. 

3 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

Actually just remembered I have a ball or two of Abbys. 

Bonus: The look on Abby’s face will be priceless. 

• Haha 1