CrazyBoards.org

Bigtimer

xanax nor klonopin not working

So I started taking Lexapro awhile back and then stopped taking it after 3 or 4 months after noticing it was not really doing anything beneficial.  Fast forward a bit and neither Xanax or klonopin are having any effect (not due to tolerance issues because I only use either med 3 times a week).  So I take a 3 or 4 month break from both benzos.  Fast forward again, I try klonopin again and it is working.  Okay im satisfied.  Fast forward again and I had a colonoscopy about 4 months ago and now klonopin is again not working like it should.  Can anyone shed some light on this issue??  Should I just give klonopin a break for a couple months??  Anyone with similar experience or just any general input...please feel free to leave a comment.

If you need more detail on the issue please let me know..

sorry for crappy grammar.  not in the mood to revise.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bigtimer said:

please feel free to leave a comment.

What are you experiencing when they "work", versus when they "don't work"?

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

Well I use klonopin for its muscle relaxation properties primarily.  I have physical tension all over my upper body which is pretty debilitating.  it starts from my lower abdomen (pelvic region) and travels all the way up into my chest/shoulders and upper portion of my arms.   

So I use it for its muscle relaxation properties and secondarily I use it for general anxiety.  

I see my pdoc in October.  Id like to add Cymbalta with an antipsychotic that is not stimulating and hopefully a muscle relaxant (flexeril) or something similar to lyrica.

Was diagnosed with GERD and IBS a few years back.

• Like 1

I’d say they work when relieving tension and don’t work when not relieving tension....so .... when I’m feeling a bit sedated they are working

Valium has the strongest muscle relaxing properties, it might be more effective.

• Like 3

Notloki:

is there any explanation in regards to why it has just stopped working as a muscle relaxant???

I would say it does work for general anxiety such as panic attacks but it does not do much of anything for muscle relaxation.

1 hour ago, Bigtimer said:

Notloki:

is there any explanation in regards to why it has just stopped working as a muscle relaxant???

I would say it does work for general anxiety such as panic attacks but it does not do much of anything for muscle relaxation.

Yep, different benzo characteristics have differing tolerance amounts. Some take a long time, some happen quickly. Most benzos are good anticonvulsants, some, like clonazepam   are used clinically but not for long as tolerance grows quickly to the anticonvulsant effect.  

Tolerance is the only thing that fits. You can grow tolerant and with abstinence long enough no longer be tolerant. Every other day dosing can lead to tolerance in some.  

Well I’m wondering if there is a weird psychological thing going on in me causing the klonopin to not work..heh...I should have started this thread in chronic pain...ultimately the reason for klonopin is the pain/tension

Notloki: what is norco? Pain killer?

1 hour ago, notloki said:

Tolerance is the only thing that fits. You can grow tolerant and with abstinence long enough no longer be tolerant. Every other day dosing can lead to tolerance in some.  

Not an every day user so I’m stumped as to why it’s not working.

I used adderall ir every other day for years without issue..

3 hours ago, Bigtimer said:

Not an every day user so I’m stumped as to why it’s not working.

I used adderall ir every other day for years without issue..

The tolerance mechanism between adderall and benzos is different though 

5 hours ago, notloki said:

Are you saying try using it more often??

I agree that it is a tolerance issue.  I experienced tolerance issues with both ativan and klonopin.  I even got tolerance issues when I only used the klonopin a few times a week.  You don't have to take it every day for a tolerance issue to develop.  If I went off of it for several months and then started taking them again, they'd work for a few months, and then I'd become tolerant to them again.  It's a nasty cycle that is very common for the benzos.  You know that you really shouldn't take them for more than a few months anyway, right?  They aren't a good long-term solution because of addiction and tolerance issues.  I've had some success using antipsychotics as sedatives for my anxiety like seroquel and zyprexa.  But the weight gain side effects can be difficult.  Nowadays I use a psychiatric service dog, but you might want to give seroquel a try.

Klonopin has a long half life so you're still it on your tolerance break days. It does not wash out in a day. I take klonopin every night and even if I miss a night I don't notice anything due to long half life,