CrazyBoards.org

Great Clips

sal_manella

OK, so I went to great clips yesterday, which is just some mall haircutting place, and instead of the usual girl my age, this older woman wants to cut my hair.  So I tell her what I want, and she buzzes off all of my hair around the sides, and then cuts it short on top.  Lady, if I wanted you to make my hair look completely different, I would have asked you to.  I gave her specific instructions, and before I knew it, I had no hair.  And then she tells me when it's done "now you look like a high school graduate".  Sod you, if I wanted to look like a young republican I would have asked for it.  Where does she get off deciding what I should look like?  Bitch. ;)

My continuuing gripe with barbers. Somehow many of them don't understand that unless told otherwise, most guys want their hair to look pretty much like they did when the came in the door, just a little bit shorter.

I still can't cut my own hair in the mirror (its the back I can't see), but I've gotten pretty good at evening out chop jobs.

My worst experience was the barber who, unasked, reached around from behind me with his scissors and whacked off most of one side of my mustache!  I didn't even see that coming. 

The best solution is to find a barber you like and develop a relationship.  Go to him exclusively and tip very well so he will take their time and give you special attention. The previous place I lived I had one gal cut my hair for 13 years.    I generally tip $5 or $6.

A.M.

No offense to older people!!!

If I go to a new place I always ask for a young girl.

When my daughter gets her hair cut I ask for the same thing. (she has really pretty long hair)

I had learned my lesson a few times. When I got an older lady who cut my hair. I actually stopped her mid-hair cut because I was watching.cutting and cutting the length of my hair off.

And the highlights she put in my hair were so awful.

It's  just

You usually get what you pay for, and cheap mall hair shops aren't known for their great stylists. I also recommend staying away from Fantastic Sam's and the like. The folks I've known who've worked at such places never were any good to begin with or had never grown with the new trends/techniques. They do still however do great 80's hair if you're in need. Also if you want color, they use a set formula that the stylist uses as opposed to doing the formulation and mixing of color themselves. (This is NOT good)

My advice, ask friends/family who they trust. A good one will ask specific questions after you've asked for what you want just so ya'll are on the same page.  Be prepared to pay for a good barber/stylist. Tip well if you like the work they did and be friendly. It's not usually too hard to find a good stylist you can have a great relationship with.

I certainly hope you didn't pay for the hackjob you just got. Believe me, in the industry if your hair was messed up that bad, you would not be expected to pay. Sadly I can't do my own hair. Believe me I would if I could. Last cut I got was waaaaaay too short. And I've been going to this lady for 15 yrs! I was so mad, she rightfully told me not to worry about paying her (as if I was gonna!)

Croix (crazystylist)

Oh your post made me giggle lots...

I hate hair places - i usually look for the queer boy and get him to do my hair... Can't go wrong there ;-)

For the past year and a half i've done it myself... clippered... a normal hair cut on Oz can set you back $50... I've got better things to spend my money on.

J

I cut all my guys' hair (hubby & 2 sons). Those $24 set of clippers has saved me about $3000 over the past 17 years. I used to pay for my haircuts (being a girl and not looking good with the military buzz cut), but no matter where I went or how much I spent, I always ended up looking terrible.

I was afraid to cut my own hair at first, but then I thought about it... I may end up looking like shit, but at least I wont have to pay someone $50 for the privilege! It took a while but now I have figured out the perfect cut for my head. SCREW YOU HAIR NAZIS!

Sorry to hear about your new horrible republican hairstyle, Sal.  That sucks ass.

I did my own hair for 14 years after my mom made me go to a beauty school for a perm (it was the 80's afterall).  I went in with long hair and said, "No layers, just a very loose spiral perm."  She immediately grabbed a straight razor and raked it down the back of my hair.  NO LAYERS!  Too late.  She had to layer the rest of it or I'd have this weird strip down the back.  And the perm was soooo tight and curly, I actually left with a mullet shaped afro. 

Cutting the back of hair by yourself is tricky.  I've found that wedging a flat mirror into the crack behind the door and holding the door mostly closed with my foot gives a good angle for cutting the back.  Just don't crack the mirror by closing it too far.

I'm finally over my stylist phobia.  No more cheap or discount stylists, nooooo.

You usually get what you pay for, and cheap mall hair shops aren't known for their great stylists. I also recommend staying away from Fantastic Sam's and the like. The folks I've known who've worked at such places never were any good to begin with or had never grown with the new trends/techniques. They do still however do great 80's hair if you're in need. Also if you want color, they use a set formula that the stylist uses as opposed to doing the formulation and mixing of color themselves. (This is NOT good)

My advice, ask friends/family who they trust. A good one will ask specific questions after you've asked for what you want just so ya'll are on the same page.

My worst experience was the barber who, unasked, reached around from behind me with his scissors and whacked off most of one side of my mustache!  I didn't even see that coming. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Sir, you owe me a new keyboard after I spit out my coffee onto it. ;-)

Sorry, didn't mean to laugh at your misery... perhaps the barber had a neurological tremor or was some sort of Aspie klutz!  Or just a sadist.

Oh, just noticed, was there innuendo in your post?  I'm going to go get my mind out of the gutter, BRB.

Okay, back.

Anyways, thank God that we've got a cheap, high quality salon here ($15 for men's cut/shampoo/style; I always tip VERY generously there).  An older woman cut my hair, but did a very good job.

Actually, it's a good thing the older woman cut my hair, as both of the younger girls there were extremely cute and I would have had a hard time (no pun intended) giving them directions on what to do!

Heya,

I get the $10 haircut.

She lops two inches off the ends every six months or so, whenever I get the guts to go in, and I don't have to talk to her.

Plus, I have a coupon.

;)

--ncc--

I used to pay $60 and I got great haircuts, but then my stylist moved.... oh, i was so upset.  I tried several expensive salons, and nobody could cut my hair like Tim.  Then I realized how damn broke I was and I started going to supercuts two blocks away from my house.  Lucky for me, I have good hair, so it turns out ok, especially for $12.  Plus, no appt.  You just walk in when you want a hair cut.

When I was in my 20's (the 80's) I always went to a hip salon - you know those one's with the high end interior design, music so loud you'd swear you were clubbing, full of the sloe-eyed too-cool-to-register-you looks, where there's a confusion of extra people walking around with wine and tea hands on hips with appraising eyes on the cutter and cuttee like some glitterati posse - an entourage d'coiffeurre with the staying power to ooh and aah every last lock to the shiny stage floor.

The first dozen or so times I was drunk enough to enter the spotlight trained on the maitr-de-salon I could swear the music did a cheech and chong "Hey, that's my record man!" and as abruptly as all motion and sound vanished and was replaced with "Oh, my! Who let that in?" the beat was gone as if it had never occurred at all leaving me unsure as to which was worse, the scrutiny or the verdict as I stood, invisible and blushing under the glaring cruel spotlight waiting against hope for one of the dozens of way chill bitches to unplug from a clique and deign to acknowledge the clueless social abberation at the podium.

A half smile which, as I begin to return, suddenly and convincingly seems to have been intended for a mall custodian or security guard passing by the store front behind me leaves me with that "uh, I thought you were someone else - you look just like..." kind of ice neck, live maine lobster tummy. Now in the ideal position of depravity and lowly unworthyness those "it's showtime!"-fosse eyes fix me like a straight pin does a bug specimen and the crisp unwordly eyebrows morph into a boy-george arch which drown out the music with their soundless question: "What the fuck do you want?"

The first dozen or so times I was told that the chairs were booked solid for weeks and would I like to reserve one for later next month and if I somehow passed that first line of geek protection the pricing always iced my genitalia but good for wasting their time and pulling them away from the party in miss or himself's hair on chair where-to-be-scene.

On a collapse of a finish to this reminisence, I can only add that once I was wealthy, healthy and confident enough to lower my own cheeks into the 15 minute zone o' fame I discovered that the cut, the money, even good looks didn't help. The hair elite can spot me from a mile away. Always have done. Always will do.

Cunts all.

I don't give a shit where I get my hair cut as long as it stays out of my eyes and keeps the unwanted eyes off of me!

Sorry. Appears I've gone and killed off a perfectly fine thread again. I will stay in my Springer Asylum in future and hope that I haven't permanently alienated anyone with my insane inanities.

I was more than a little exaggerating in my rant, btw.

I'll be on my way then.

ciao.

Yombo that was great, hahahaha.

i pay quite a bit to get my hair done (when i have time to go), although i have a very abusive relationship with my hairdresser. my mother has been going to him for over 30 years, and he's won a ton of awards for his work.  hes amazingly talented and VERY trendy but hes so awful and vindictive...which is fine by me because i can be very much the same.  ;)

im always happy when i leave, but its the constant battling i have to get what i want. 

'i want this'

'no you dont - that's fucking terrible.  just trust me'

'no! I WANT THIS'

'oh...all of a sudden YOU'RE the stylist.  sorry for intruding. please proceed'

and it goes on and on and on.

anyway, yeah. thats my experience. 

The few times I've gone to Supercuts, even for the littlest trim, they didn't even get the cut even.  One side will inevitably be longer than the other.  I think it is because I have some cowlicks, but aren't they supposed to know what to do in that case?  So I always ended up retrimming it, hence I know how to cut my hair.  Can't really do the back and usually the layers are a little fucked, but the price is right.  The 1 more expensive woman I go to ($50) used to do great cuts, but they have only been so-so lately.  I need a funky, semi-rocker look person in Central NJ - anyone have ideas?  Preferably someone who doesn't cost $50.  Me so po'.  I know someone really good in Seattle, if that helps anyone...  although I can't remember her name...

I've also heard that you should stay away from texturizing scissors, because the people who use them are just lazy and they wreck your hair.  And I hate razors because they make my hair frizzy. 

No,No,No, Supergwen. Razors and texturizing shears have their place In the hands of the right stylist! But it all depends on your hair texture and the cut you want as to whether their use is warranted.

Like I've said the vast majority of folks that work at Supercuts, or Fantastic Sam's or whatnot, are either A) Straight out of school, or B) Never worked at a decent salon before that so they could do an apprenticeship. Which is what it's all about. You only learn 4 or 5 standard haircuts in school. When you take your State Board exam for your license, they only make you do 1 haircut for grade. It is imperative once you've finished school and passed your exams and have your license that you study under another established stylist so you can learn the necessary skills to be a really good stylist.

Same goes for color. You learn all the formulations and applications in school, but that doesn't mean you should be let loose with chemicals around people's heads. It's best to apprentice. School only teaches you so much.

I would Never pay $15 for a haircut. You really get what you pay for. A good stylist charges more because it's worth it. They are the ones that even though they've been in business for 10+ years, they still go to the trade shows to learn more, to update their techniques and tools, etc.

Croix

Archived