CrazyBoards.org

adderall headache?

i have taken xr adderall (25 mg) every morning and in the afternoon i take ir (10 mg).

i've noticed in the afternoon sometimes the adderall gives me a headache. 

only sometimes, though.

i take generic - amphetamine salts, though i use the word "adderall" - could this be why i'm getting headaches?

the xr never caused this problem.

other than generic vs. brand, any other factors?

ir adderall is psycho blue, and if you're dye sensitive maybe... though that would be a constant thing and you'd get the same problems from gatorade, sodas, candy, whatnot.

the generic is still called adderall by most people since "mixed amphetimene salts" is rather bulky....

are you sure it's the adderall and not like, you missed afternoon coffee or are dehydrated or stressed or the 900 other causes of headaches?  not saying it's not the adderall, of course.  just if it's sporadic, and not related to something like skipping a day or changing doses, i'd suspect it's something other than the adderall.

how long have you been on this dose?  how long have the headaches been an issue?

penny

headaches have been an issue as long as i've been taking the adderall.

it totally could be dehydration - i'm always parched b/c of my adderall, but i have no idea how to increase my water intake more than what i drink now!

definitely not the dye, though i'm very allergic to red dye that some generic antibiotics have, so maybe i shouldn't say "definitely not" just yet...

additives?

the dye in meds is diff than the dye in foods... it's uh, less good for you.  now why on earth it's ok to put something unsafe for food in medication for sick people is beyond me, but the dyes in food and meds are slightly different.  but they are all derived from petroleum, which is why they are an issue for some people.  i forgot the name of the blue in adderall, but you could try to find something else with that color in it and test it.  sadly, adderall doesn't come in non blue, unless you get it compounded (actually, for the blue ir, compounding is a more accessable option that trying to get an extended release med compounded.)

adderall causes dry mouth... usually makes me drink almost too much water and i have to watch and make sure i eat enough salt.

there may be other reasons for headaches.  this is just off the top of my head ... i'm a bit too exausted for research, sorry =(

take care

penny

All kinds of rebound related stuff can happen when stims where off, particularly IR ones.  I've found gensing can help.

You can get a bit of a DIY sustained release effect by cutting the pill in half and taking one half fourty-five minutes to an hour before the other

Why did you quit taking the XR in the first place?

I used to get little headaches from Adderall sometimes. (Ok, that long winded generic) Now I only get faint hints of headaches. If you feel parched, you may not be dehydrated but just suffering from dry mouth. If you have to urinate every few hours, you're probably not very dehydrated. Dry mouth can be bad for your teeth. Consider using sugarless gum. Biotene mouthwash also helps. (non rx, available at drugstore or mail order)

VE I didn't quit the XR I just take the IR in the afternoons so I'm not up all night.

If I try to use ginseng for rebound crap, do you think I'll be able to sleep?

Ido (or is it LDO? I keep meaning to ask) - I think you are right, it's dry mouth and not dehydration.  Though the idea that they could be different never occured to me.

Biotene helps?  I've seen it before.

Can't chew gum b/c I have TMJ problems *and* braces at the moment.. ;)

i have pretty good luck in overcoming the morning/afternoon dose rebound by splitting a scored IR 5 mg tab of Adderall in half...... it actually makes me a bit sleepy.....  10 mgs of an IR tab may be too much on a regular basis?  you could try to split your IR tab in 4 pieces and take 1/4 of the tab for rebound.....  if i'm restless at night and can't sleep, taking about 2.5 mgs of IR Adderall helps my mind stop racing enough so I can get to bed...... a bit amazing that a stim slows me down (this still blows my mind!)......slows my mind down, and at the same time I can do physical things very quickly if need be.

I've also had pretty good luck with taking 5 to 10 mgs of an Inderal IR tab for headaches that are from taking Adderall....

Archived