CrazyBoards.org

I have been an introvert all my life, prefer doing activities by myself, avoid eye contact, get overwhelmed by noises, lights and loud people, crowds. What are the signs of high functioning autism? What is the difference with social anxiey?

I am going to let someone else answer the symptoms question because I’m not super knowledgeable about autism spectrum disorders... but if you feel like you need to figure it out for med/treatment approaches they can do psychological testing to maybe help shed some light 

• Like 1

The 2 major differences are that neurotypical people with social anxiety disorder do not have our core traits of stereotypy (repetitive behaviour and movements) or limited, fixated interests. The others that I can think of is that a lot of us are socially anhedonic, and for us anxiety isn't the dominant feature in our people issues, we literally can't people because we communicate in such a different way that neurotypical people often think we don't communicate in English. 

Neurotypical people with social anxiety disorder also don't self-regulate with self-stimulatory behaviours either, and our sensory issues/challenges aren't driven by anxiety alone, we have them because our brains aren't the same, more specifically the way our brain processes stimuli isn't the same, whether that is sensory stimuli or otherwise. 

And of course, social anxiety disorder is an illness, autism is not, it is a vital part of who we are as people.

But of course, like Iceberg said, in order to know for sure, you need to be assessed professionally. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, CookieN said:

What are the signs of high functioning autism? What is the difference with social anxiey?

This article link below explains the differences pretty well.....I have an adult son with high-functioning autism (Asperger's).

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-is-aspergers-related-to-social-anxiety-disorder-3024753

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1