CrazyBoards.org

I've reading many articles that debate the concept of bipolar with psychosis, schizoaffective bipolar type, and schizophrenia. They were talking about how bipolar disorder doesn't always follow the stereotypical manic, remit, depressed cycle especially in rapid cyclers or those who have prominent psychosis and if enough attention isnt paid to the diagnostic criteria and too much clinical judgement is put in then the patient may be wrongfully given the diagnosis of schizoaffective or schizophrenia instead bipolar with psychosis. They also said many of the schizophrenia "exclusive" symptoms catatonia, thought insertion, etc also happen in bipolar. I'm bipolar but have prominent psychosis to the point where every episode I've had with the past year involves some sort of delusion or hallucination. Based on some of the symptoms I've have. Disorganized thinking, cognitive problems, rapid deterioration someone might have diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder.

Food for thought :)

I was diagnosed as schizoaffective because I was having psychosis in the complete absence of mood symptoms. I used to be diagnosed as bipolar 1. 

It is helpful though that schizoaffective BP type and BP 1 have several very similar treatments for many symptoms so it is not all “do or die” in figuring out some of the Dx technicalities 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 7:49 PM, saintalto said:

I was diagnosed as schizoaffective because I was having psychosis in the complete absence of mood symptoms. I used to be diagnosed as bipolar 1. 

I still find myself very paranoid even when not having mood symptoms or mild ones at that is this what you meant by absence?

@saintalto according to the dsm 5, the diagnostic criteria for schizoaffective disorder a)is an uninterrupted period of illness during which there is a major mood episode concurrent with criterion a or schizophrenia. 

B) delusions or hallucinations for two or more weeks in the absence of major mood episode 

c) symptoms that meet criteria for a major mood episodes are present for the majority of the total duration of the active and residual portions of the illness 

d) the disturbance is not attributable to the effects of a substance  

so in conclusion that could be accurate