CrazyBoards.org

I've had problems with blood sugar for years, and I've had several tests taken but I haven't been diagnosed with anything specific. Whenever I eat anything with sugar in it, it just seems to sit there and I get these really uncomfortable feelings. Sometimes I feel really hot or dizzy, or have to urinate a lot. I bought a glucose monitor last night and my bs was at 96 when I first tested. I had a meal and two hours later it was at 103. I was just wondering if anybody could be able to help me in any way...I'm really stumped.

I've had problems with blood sugar for years, and I've had several tests taken but I haven't been diagnosed with anything specific. Whenever I eat anything with sugar in it, it just seems to sit there and I get these really uncomfortable feelings. Sometimes I feel really hot or dizzy, or have to urinate a lot. I bought a glucose monitor last night and my bs was at 96 when I first tested. I had a meal and two hours later it was at 103. I was just wondering if anybody could be able to help me in any way...I'm really stumped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it sounds to me like your insulin system is working just the way it should

Tommy

In looking at the lab forms I have had for blood work, the normal range of blood glucose is below 100.

My mom is a diabetic and is required to keep her blood sugar below a maximum of 120 with a goal of less than 100.

The range of 100 - 140 is considered "Pre-diabetic". Off hand I'm not sure what the conditions are for the test, but probably after fasting for 12 hours. 

I changed the way I eat about 2 years ago.  I was getting headache, feeling sick and having emotional swings late in the day. After doing some research I found that I was letting my bloodsugar swing too much. 

I started eating a balanced breakfast with a fair portion of protien for long term energy to carry me thru the day, instead of juice, coffee and toast (note all fast sugar/carbs). When I get feeling a little low in the afternoon I have some protein instead of sugary drinks/food which will cause a blood sugar crash about 2 hours later. I avoid eating big meals like pasta or pizza.

Take a look at some topics on Hypoglycemia and Glycemic index.    They should give you some good ideas on how to prevent glycemic peaks and valleys.

Hope you feel better.

A.M.

yeah, as a type 1 diabetic i can tell you 96 and 103 are really good.  but i think it depends on a lot of other factors.  for other people a 90 might be a normal blood sugar range - but i can pretty much tell when my BS is below 100 mood wise and phsyiologically - and i have to eat something to bring it up a little, or it might crash or i'll just get really agitated.

one thing that i've noticed helps is whole grain foods.  i probably wouldn't have noticed this before i had radioactive iodine for my thyroid - and am now hypothyroid too.  i've been having a real hard time just keeping my blood sugars up, and balanced while i reach the right thyroid dose.  i've taken to trying to eat as much whole grain bread as i can now - especially in the morning - and i've found that helps a little bit with my mood.  it may be your thyroid too though - because i imagine in even non-diabetic people, if their thyroid's low their blood sugars could swing more rapidly. 

(reading your post again though, i guess you were primarily concerned about having too high blood sugar - but the jitteriness and heat/dizziness - sound more like hyperthyroidism) 

I'm thinking about administering my own glucose tolerance test. Is there something I can drink to replace the "glucola" bottle? Thanks for the replies also. I've had my thyroid checked and the TSH has always been in the high range, but not high enough to be considered hyperthyroid. Does anybody know what I'm saying when I say the sugar just "sits" there? I'm still not sure what that is. And a lot of times when I do have to urinate, it's right after I eat something with sugar in it, as opposed to two hours later as usually happens with diabetes. Not sure why that is either. I've tried different diet plans and that hasn't seemed to help either. Could these be symptoms of anemia?

I don't know if my glucose monitor is messed up or what, but these are the results from yesterday's test if anyone cares:

7:00 (after 17 hour fast)- 81

9:00- 85

10:00- 103

10:30 121

10:50- 98

11:00- 114

11:10- 95

Is that normal?

7:00 (after 17 hour fast)- 81

9:00- 85

10:00- 103

10:30 121

10:50- 98

11:00- 114

11:10- 95

Is that normal?

It's absolutely normal.  And, blood sugar can go up and down as sugar is released by the liver.  (I think that's right...)

I am not seeing any problems here, blood sugar wise.  If you feel different/crappy after eating something sugary/starchy, try a bit of a diet change.  Can't hurt, i shouldn't think.

Archived