CrazyBoards.org

Selling body organs, bone marrow, etc

Okay, I know that selling body organs inside the United States is illegal.  But it is legal in other countries.  A slice of one's liver (75% of it actually) will get them up to $150,000.  Within a few weeks, the liver regenerates to its original size, so in theory it can be done numerous times.  The one catch: there is a 1% chance of dying in the operation.

The other possibility I'm considering is bone marrow.  This I don't know if it is legal to sell within the US or not.  But according to what I've read, one cup of bone marrow will get a person $10,000.  This also can be done repeatedly.  What I've read is that the odds of a person who needs bone marrow finding a match for the type they need is 1 in 20,000.  So I guess that's why a cup of the stuff will get you 10K. 

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about this sort of thing.  Such as since donating the slice of my liver is illegal in the US, does that mean that the surgery would have to be done outside the country, or could I have the surgery done here and have the slice of my liver shipped to whoever is paying for it?  Any info any one has would be much appreciated. 

I'm not interested in a debate over how ethical it is to sell one's body parts.  If its legal, either within the US or in another country, then its my body to do with as I wish as far as I see it.  ;)

BTW, there's a book about this called "Sell Yourself To Science" by Jim Hogshire.  Here's a link to more info about the book at amazon.com.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155950084...5Fencoding=UTF8

IF one were to do such a procedure, they would need to have it done outside the States; it would, I'm sure, be an ethics violation for any U.S. surgeon to operate thusly.

Plus, there's the whole finding a matching donor in some country where it IS legal; certainly, they can't just cut out yer liver and stick it in the freezer til a match comes up.

At any rate, i *will* comment briefly on the ethics of such things--quite frankly, if cash or other transactions were allowed for such tissue donation, God only knows how many lives could be saved vs. our decrepit, stupid, unwieldy system that is currently used.

OK, 'nuffa that...

Anyone know anything about selling bone marrow?  Is it legal in the US?  In the book that I mentioned in the 1st post, it starts off saying this about bone marrow: Marrow is one of the few body products that is actively solicited by procurement agencies, but they still won't offer you money for it.  There is a registry of people who are willing to donate, as well as a waiting list of people who need it, although you can't get your hands on the second list at all.  Bone marrow can be used to cure leukemia and Hodgkin's disease.  The numbers are sobering: half of the patients who get fresh, healthy marrow survive, but the odds of a match from the general population are 1 in 20,000.  Every day, 25 people die who could have used a marrow transplant.

I find the first sentence confusing.  This is a book about how to sell things like bone marrow, and here the author says they won't offer you money for it.  And the part about odds of 1 in 20,000 of finding a match.  So that also means that the odds are the same for me as far as coming across someone who needs my type of marrow?  I didn't even know there were different types of bone marrow. 

I thought this was something I could do maybe 5 times a year and make 50K a year, but if the odds are like that, maybe having the liver operation done once a year for $150,000 or so would be more lucrative financially.  Even if there is more involved with that - having to fly out of the country for the operation, the 1% chance of dying in the operation, etc.  Can anyone offer some help here?  A friend of mine works at a doctor's office and she's going to ask today if he knows anything about this sort of stuff.

I don't know and I am very skeptical, but you have my attention. 

Wouldn't they be looking for a drug free liver though?  I'm sure my liver must be toxic.

Also, wouldn't the 1% death risk be greatly increased if you had to do this elsewhere, possibly a third world country?

Keep us posted here on what you find out.

Guest Llamanator

Thing is, do you know exactly how long it would take for all of these body parts to grow back, and do you know how many times they could regenerate before enough scar tissue (don't know, but might be a concern with a liver) would build up before you'd have to stop?

Either that book I referred to earlier was a bunch of bullshit, or its just outdated (it is almost 15 years old).  Because I've searched and searched on the net for info on where one could sell slices of one's liver legally and found none, only places where such things can be sold on the "black market".  And I was like fuck that, because obviously the money won't do me any good if I'm in prison. 

My friend who works with a couple doctors said the doctors THINK there may be places even within the US where selling bone marrow is legal, but the one doctor is going to ask his son who is an attorney first.

I'm not quite sure but i have had a bone marrow transplant before. The chance of finding someone on the registry is quite low, i didn't find a match. I had a transplant type called autologus where they harvested my own marrow, grew it in many samples in a lab for a while. Once a good sample without cancer cells was found it was transplanted back into my body. This type of procedure is more common these days so i'd figure if you were trying to sell your own marrow the chance of a match, and someone buying it would be rather slim.

Justin

Archived