CrazyBoards.org

Good afternoon, everyone:

A little background on me very quickly. I’ve been diagnosed Bipolar II in August 2010, I’ve been treated with antidepressants and antipsychotics on and off since. I began abusing alcohol in 2015 and eventually went to rehab in August 2018. Since then, I have had very few drinking episodes. Not even remotely close to daily or alcohol dependence. I’ve been compliant with me medication since January 2018 with small tweaks here and there.  Since June 2019 I have been episodes that I can only describe as extremely manic, nothing like I have ever experienced before. I become out of control, my thoughts are erratic and unclear and I usually need intervention from another person to regain control of myself. Some of these episodes lead to drinking and some don’t. I’m concerned my Bipolar II has progressed to Bipolar I or something else. Has anyone else had experience with something like this or read anything relating to progression of the disease?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Boreilly13

On 9/8/2019 at 3:30 PM, Boreilly13 said:

Good afternoon, everyone:

A little background on me very quickly. I’ve been diagnosed Bipolar II in August 2010, I’ve been treated with antidepressants and antipsychotics on and off since. I began abusing alcohol in 2015 and eventually went to rehab in August 2018. Since then, I have had very few drinking episodes. Not even remotely close to daily or alcohol dependence. I’ve been compliant with me medication since January 2018 with small tweaks here and there.  Since June 2019 I have been episodes that I can only describe as extremely manic, nothing like I have ever experienced before. I become out of control, my thoughts are erratic and unclear and I usually need intervention from another person to regain control of myself. Some of these episodes lead to drinking and some don’t. I’m concerned my Bipolar II has progressed to Bipolar I or something else. Has anyone else had experience with something like this or read anything relating to progression of the disease?

Thanks for the help!

It happens. I got switched from II to 1. You typically (not always) need a change in medication strategy when mania starts to present seriously. What is your med situation? This doesn’t mean you can’t get things under control and go back to being stable, people, since developing different symptoms is pretty common for lots of people with mood disorders in the relatively early stages of treatment  

Thank you. I saw a psych today who couldn’t care less what I had to say and I’m at square one with that, but I’m getting a new list of psychs tomorrow from my therapist who may be open to hearing new things. She believes I may be schizophrenic, but he wouldn’t consider her input. I will keep you posted here. Could use some guidance!

I would just advise to remember to keep an open mind. If the doc doesn’t seem to care at all or it doesn’t feel right, then yeah no go. But just remember this is your first meeting and many pdocs will not make a diagnosis that quickly 

I can believe you may have switched to bipolar I but I also feel like it could just be a manic period of bipolar II. I’m what you would call an ultradian cycling bipolar II and I am literally all over the place. Im sorry your pdoc isn’t giving you the attention you feel you need but as others stated they aren’t quick to hurry up and diagnose anything. If anything there are apps out there where you can track your mood. At least you can use that as evidence of what you’re going through beyond word of mouth. Some mood trackers also are able to keep track of the medications you’re taking. I know it’s probably beating a dead horse and I barely listen to this advice but try to lay off the alcohol. It REALLY affects your mood especially when it wears off. I’m surprised you haven’t plummeted into a crippling depression from the alcohol usage. But again im not here to judge, try the mood tracker and keep going.