CrazyBoards.org

orangey123

How many people have bipolar in the U.S.?

I read it is 2.6 of the U.s. population. Is that 1 in 5?    1 in 20?   It doesnt seem like much. But Im trying to stay alive today and want to feel alot are going through the same thing.

4 hours ago, orangey123 said:

I read it is 2.6 of the U.s. population. Is that 1 in 5?    1 in 20?   It doesnt seem like much. But Im trying to stay alive today and want to feel alot are going through the same thing.

According to this link, 2.6% of the U.S. population is bipolar, so that figure is correct...(This figure comes from National Institutes of Mental Health in 2014).

https://www.bipolar-lives.com/bipolar-disorder-statistics.html

However, statistically, that means that 2.6 people (not quite 3 people) out of 100, have bipolar disorder here in the U.S.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

It depends on what is classified as bipolar.

Strict dsm 5 is where the numbers above come from iirc. It doesn't consider people with hypomania for 4 or fewer days as bipolar. That has been criticised as arbitrary.

If you consider people on the bipolar spectrum, the number will be higher

2 hours ago, argh said:

If you consider people on the bipolar spectrum, the number will be higher

The statistic of 2.6% of U.S. population, that @orangey123 read, and that I found, is from 2014.

However, there is another figure in the same link I posted, from 2006, that estimates anywhere from 2-7%...Maybe that's a little more realistic.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

1 hour ago, CrazyRedhead said:

The statistic of 2.6% of U.S. population, that @orangey123 read, and that I found, is from 2014.

However, there is another figure in the same link I posted, from 2006, that estimates anywhere from 2-7%...Maybe that's a little more realistic.

There we go, thanks crh. 7 % was what I sort of remembered

• Like 1