CrazyBoards.org

So I’m *somewhere* in the menopause range. Cycles stopped two years ago, but no other common symptoms. However, last night barely slept, I had the sensation of bugs crawling on me all night. Very weird. It appears that it could be a symptom of menopause, as the skin is drying? The weird thing is, my skin doesn’t seem dry, I use lotion every day, and my face still gets oily. Wtf, has anyone experienced this? 

Dr. Google also offered that it could be a paranoid delusion. That’s reassuring. 

Making a GYN appt today. And great, exhaustion is going to wreck a much-needed day of productivity. 

4 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

Very weird. It appears that it could be a symptom of menopause, as the skin is drying? 

According to this link, low estrogen levels during perimenopause or menopause can possibly cause it.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321896.php

It might be a good idea to get your estrogen levels checked.

Thanks, CRH, I’m searching now for a GYN on my plan. Hoping that’s the cause, because that’s easily curable. 

• Like 2

Do you get hot flashes?  The reason I ask is that apparently the policy at my HMO is no estrogen unless you have hot flashes and they won’t check estrogen levels. And I hear that from friends about their GYN experience, sometimes. No matter that I had insomnia and severe brain fog. So not to be a downer, but as a caution that if you get a choice, I’d pick someone who does a lot of menopause treatment as opposed to primarily being an obstetrician and delivering babies. And my insomnia disappeared 3 days after starting an estrogen patch. I didn’t have the skin thing that I recall. I know there are herbs but honestly I avoid them due to possible interactions with my meds, among other things. Good luck with a GYN, I hope you find a good one who can say if it’s menopause.  I have heard that as a symptom before so could be. I’ve had my share of menopause stuff so I feel for you. 

So sorry, I totally missed this response yesterday! 

No, no hot flashes. I’m shocked, tho, why would a GYN refuse to do an estrogen level test? That’s ridiculous! And I will argue my ass off if I run into that. Unfortunately, first available appt (and in another town) is mid-October, so I have a while to wait. 

Yeah, I’ve had some good experiences with herbs, but even more bad experiences. They’re not to be taken lightly. I avoid them now. 

Thanks for your experience! 

The estrogen lab thinking is that how you feel doesn’t correlate with levels, best to go by symptoms, and it’ll be low anyway in menopause but that doesn’t mean you’ll have symptoms. Ok, whatever. So we go by my symptoms which in my case is ok. However that doesn’t work for everyone and some ladies who get levels checked say they have a certain good level for them. So if your GYN checks levels you can use that but if not, it’s not hopeless as long as they are willing to treat symptoms. My objection is being told to live with it. I’ve had that. So just know you might meet resistance but the bigger issue may be do they prescribe estrogen at all and for what. Some just won’t and that sucks. Why do they expect us to just deal—don’t get me started. So good luck, forewarned is better than being surprised.