CrazyBoards.org

So is emotional dysregulation language that’s only used in DBT land (where I first heard it)?  Or is it a broadly understood term?

asking because my pdoc asked me to define it today and I was curious that she didn’t seem to know what I meant.

Don't mean to barge into a board I don't belong in, but in my experience, it depends on the individual, although it seems to be better known amongst therapists, I guess because they are the ones doing the most work with you, pdoc's are primarily for meds, and usually emotional dysregulation is a therapy topic because it resides from things where meds can't/shouldn't be the primary intervention. 

Barge away.  Completely helpful.

context is that I’m dealing with either mild depression or just emotional dysregulation or both.  So we did a conservative med increase, which seems to make sense.

Another thing that I have always found perculiar about this topic is that there are different categories of it, or at least that has been how it has been described/conceptualised to me. Usually that is done by separating it into emotion dysregulation, mood dysregulation and affect dysregulation, they are similar but slightly different when you look deeper. 

It has been explained to me that emotion dysregulation is referring to more fickle emotions themselves, such as guilt, shame, anger etc, and any issue residing from poor regulation of the specific emotion.

Whereas mood dysregulation is more about mood, a longer term, broader range of emotions type thing, where depressive and manic states would be at the extreme end of, poor ability to regulate more complex emotion and mood states, and affect dysregulation is more a problem of how you personally experience and express both, and the inability to modulate that experience in a functional way, if that makes any sense. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken

that does make sense and is interesting.  mood dysregulation seems to match more where I am coming from.  She wondered whether mood instability/fluctuations would be similar and I said that it seems at least somewhat...I just only ever really got this set of symptoms/situations/issues when I was in DBT-world, where the dysregulation piece (really of all types) is pretty predominant.

I do agree that it is a fairly DBT focused thing, personally I wish it wasn't, because I think that is part of why a lot of professionals aren't knowledgeable about it. I do think though that it is also likely that a more trauma informed professional will have at least some knowledge on it. That's where most of my education came from, anyways, as I found DBT to not be adequate in that department. Although, to be quite frank, most of my education came from my own research because the professionals I have seen just didn't have it, which is rather unfortunate. If it is a more mood dysregulation problem, the med increase should help in theory.