CrazyBoards.org

Skin picking?

Does anyone else do this?  I have always picked the skin around my thumbs and because of this, they look terrible.  I don't even notice when I'm doing it most of the time.  And I wonder what causes it...if it is related to bipolar in any way or if I have some other mental problem, which wouldn't surprise me.

There was an OCD thread somewhere about this and I just fit right in! I bite the sides of my fingers. I don't bite my nails, though. I bite my lips. Constantly. I guess it's my thang!

How about this for gross? I LOVE to take skin off, like when I'm peeling from a sunburn or when I have scabs...why is that? If someone else is peeling and they let me, I will peel that, too!

Blick, yeah, I know.

Sam

Edited to add: No invictus, I don't think it is an additional disorder, nor do I think it is BP related. I think it's just a quirk. We're quirky!

I pick and bite at my lips, trying to rip the skin, bleed, and starting over again. It's a filthy habit and I can't seem to kick it! I try to keep it in line when I'm in public. Have been doing it since a very young age in elementary school. This sounds like OCD, but not sure. Even on the meds I'm on right now, I still do it.

I do it all the time, mostly on my thumb. I don't notice that I'm doing it. I usully pick at it with another finger, or bite it an them.... eeewww.... eat it (the skin that is, not my actual finger). I do it everywhere, including in front of my psychiatrist, and no one has mentioned it as a problem, so I don't think it is one. My life is not consumed by doing this. A lot of others do it, and they are perfectly non-bipolar (so I think - you never know). There is even a song about it by the Dressden Dolls called Bad Habit.

But what's worse is I also bite my arm and scrape my teeth on it And the more I think I shouldn't do it, the more I want to di it! Like at work, it is so annoying. I think I do that when I'm nervous, and then not doing it makes me feel more nervous. And I just have to be nervous around people. How embarassing.

I do this too and I'm not BP.

In fact I always think "OK, I'm going to let these heal and STOP biting/picking at my skin"  and then right before it's healed, I do it again.

My pdoc definitely thought it was related to my depression and stress and tried to get me to stop (I only got the rubberband on my wrist suggestion) - I am also a scratcher - but it hasn't really stopped.

Though I have to say right now it's ONLY my thumbs.

Funny because I was thinking about this last night and wanted to start a thread about it!

I'm a picker.  I have a scab on my scalp that I've picking at reguarly for the past 28 years!  I also like to pick peeling skin that's been sunburned, and of course I like to pop pimples.  I lick my lips constantly as well.

Ok, now I sound totally nuts.

I do this too.  It gets bad when I go a little overboard on my face and look bad.  And I beat everyone I know at the "My fingers look worse than yours" contest. 

Toenails are bad.  Toenails should actually be existent and not bloody.  And eyebrows.  Eyebrows should be more than 3 hairs. 

I'm a picker.  I have a scab on my scalp that I've picking at reguarly for the past 28 years!  I also like to pick peeling skin that's been sunburned, and of course I like to pop pimples.  I lick my lips constantly as well.

Ok, now I sound totally nuts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yay! A soul sister!

I can't even wear lipstick because I HATE not being able to lick my lips! The only time I put anything on them is if they are really chapped.

It took me a long time to realize how abnormal this is. Females wear lipstick. Just something else that proves I am crazy!

Sam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm thinking cashews or hazelnuts (i'm partial to these), but maybe a whole new kind of nut. like 'pickinuts' - full of protein and nervous energy..

i've been so stressed lately, it's gotten worse. compulsion? habit? SI? quirk? pickinuts!!  ;)

Archived