CrazyBoards.org

Drunk-like grogginess? Sleep inertia

Never been a morning person, but getting up is becoming more a problem. I read about "Sleep Inertia" when you wake up during REM cycle and then feel intensely groggy, foggy (like drunk) when you get up. For me this state lasts over an hour. Is this a (too much) Melatonin thing?

I sleep like a log through the night. I've experimented with my routine, 8-10 hours, and regardless, I get this groggy drunk feeling every morning when I get up, even after coffee and meds. It takes forever to wear off!

Anyone know a cheap sleep tracker? I probably oversleep, but regardless 8 or 10 hours, I feel this way. I set my alarm across the room and usually snooze a couple times because it is literally impossible for me to get up.

How much melatonin are you taking?.......It's best to stick with lower amounts, like maybe 3mg or less.....If you're taking too much, that possibly could be the cause.

That said, I have the same problem, more or less......I sleep a normal amount, but find it difficult to get myself out of bed, and I'm foggy for awhile after I get up.

But, I'm pretty sure my problem is due to residual amounts of sleep meds I take (Klonopin and Trazodone)...My fogginess usually subsides after a few cups of coffee.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

How much melatonin are you taking?.......It's best to stick with lower amounts, like maybe 3mg or less.....If you're taking too much, that possibly could be the cause.

I do not take any melatonin, nor sleep meds or anything sedating. I haven't had any problem falling asleep and sleep through the entire 8-9 hours without waking.

Mornings I take my stimulant, meds and eventually have about 3 cups of coffee (only between 10am-2pm) I don't usually drink any coffee any later. I limit alcohol (or drink nothing) in the evening...

10 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

I do not take any melatonin, nor sleep meds or anything sedating. I haven't had any problem falling asleep and sleep through the entire 8-9 hours without waking.

Mornings I take my stimulant, meds and eventually have about 3 cups of coffee (only between 10am-2pm) I don't usually drink any coffee any later. I limit alcohol (or drink nothing) in the evening...

Hmm....How long has the excessive  morning grogginess been going on?....Has it been awhile, or did it start recently?

23 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Hmm....How long has the excessive  morning grogginess been going on?....Has it been awhile, or did it start recently?

Well I've always had it to some level, but the last 2-3 weeks it's been particularly bad/worse.

Edited by Blahblah

4 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

No other symptoms ? 

Mainly fatigue which hits at around 2-3pm everyday (this has gone on a long time), sometimes requires me to nap. I have had more mental stress the last couple months....or Maybe I should get my thyroid tested, was slightly low years ago, but a year ago it was in normal range so I don't think it's that....

Edited by Blahblah

7 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

Mainly fatigue which hits at around 2-3pm everyday (this has gone on a long time), sometimes requires me to nap. I have had more mental stress the last couple months....or Maybe I should get my thyroid tested, was slightly low years ago, but a year ago it was in normal range so I don't think it's that....

Could it be the early onset of some depression? That happens to me sometimes - especially when the seasons change it can mess up my wake up time 

Just now, Iceberg said:

Could it be the early onset of some depression? That happens to me sometimes - especially when the seasons change it can mess up my wake up time 

Well, I always have a constant (at least low-grade) depression, I wouldn't say that has been noticeably worse last 3 weeks. I haven't had severe lability or anything. Seasonal change can make me more lethargic I guess. But I don't know what else to do about it. Meds I try just make me even more tired, or spaced out..etc.

19 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

Well, I always have a constant (at least low-grade) depression, I wouldn't say that has been noticeably worse last 3 weeks. I haven't had severe lability or anything. Seasonal change can make me more lethargic I guess. But I don't know what else to do about it. Meds I try just make me even more tired, or spaced out..etc.

I unfortunately often get that issue- unknown cause sleeping too much or inability to get up. I set about 8 alarms to get up for classes, each at 3 or 4 minute intervals so that I just become annoyed enough to get up. Sometimes I mess with dose timing- but if you not taking sedating meds I doubt that would help. Also, you said you take a stimulant? I keep my adderall right next to me and try and set an alarm to wake me up 1/2 hour earlier to take it and then just fall back to sleep- it helps me come out of the grogginess faster 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Never been a morning person, but getting up is becoming more a problem. I read about "Sleep Inertia" when you wake up during REM cycle and then feel intensely groggy, foggy (like drunk) when you get up. For me this state lasts over an hour. Is this a (too much) Melatonin thing?

I sleep like a log through the night. I've experimented with my routine, 8-10 hours, and regardless, I get this groggy drunk feeling every morning when I get up, even after coffee and meds. It takes forever to wear off!

Anyone know a cheap sleep tracker? I probably oversleep, but regardless 8 or 10 hours, I feel this way. I set my alarm across the room and usually snooze a couple times because it is literally impossible for me to get up.

hmm. I think someone recently posted an article talking about this in bipolar that I found interesting, because I have the same problem. Was it @argh?

18 hours ago, Iceberg said:

unknown cause sleeping too much or inability to get up. I set about 8 alarms to get up for classes, each at 3 or 4 minute intervals so that I just become annoyed enough to get up. Sometimes I mess with dose timing- but if you not taking sedating meds I doubt that would help. Also, you said you take a stimulant? I keep my adderall right next to me and try and set an alarm to wake me up 1/2 hour earlier to take it and then just fall back to sleep- it helps me come out of the grogginess faster 

@Iceberg THIS! I have the exact same thing. I set alarm 1 hour before I absolutely need to get up. My snooze intervals are 15-20 minutes. I usually hit snooze 3 times and then get annoyed and just turn it off, I often lay in bed and try to slowly wake up.

I take Ritalin (30mg extended) 30-40 mins before I get up.  it does not help with energy really, or getting me going (only with focus). I cannot feel it "kicking in" (like the IR) but IR just makes my fatigue worse with the comedown. It seems totally out of system by 3pm and every time I try afternoon IR dose, I'm still physically tired.I'll task doc about trying to switch, but adderall & other stims are not available where I live.

I always have good breakfast oatmeal, nuts, fruit, yogurt, 2 cups of coffee, usually another coffee after lunch. I don't think this fatigue is normal. I am healthy otherwise, fit, no blood test issues, I also take vit D, protein supps, multivitamin. I hate to add on more drugs or stimulants. Oh..and I never have times where I'm super energetic or anything, I'm never up & down.

Edited by Blahblah