CrazyBoards.org

CrazyRedhead

Insurance Covers Skin Cancer Surgery, But Not Biopsy???

I have a family history of skin cancer......My grandmother, who was also a fair-skinned redhead, like me, had squamous cell skin cancer, which was fully resolved after surgical removal.

I get a full body check by a derm once a year.........I have recently noticed 2 small suspicious looking areas on my forearm.....I have an appt next week with my GP doc to get them checked out.

I called my insurance company to make sure what's covered and what's not, in case these are skin cancer.

Insurance company rep tells me that surgical removal is covered, but biopsy is not......If I need a biopsy (which I'm almost certain I will), I need a PA beforehand.....AARGGH....That means extra waiting time before doc can even do anything.

So when I have my appointment next week, I have to tell her she has to get a P.A. before doing a biopsy...

Does this make much sense to anyone?..........:cussing:........

No. It does not make sense. But nothing surprises me with American insurance companies. Hopefully the dermatologist can just eyeball the things on your arm and assess that they're nothing, because that's happened to me a few times with things I was worried about (pale Irish/English lady here, too). At least they're requiring a prior authorization suggests that they'll pay for it once they approve it, but I know, that's another appointment with the dermatologist and more waiting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unstrung Harp said:

Hopefully the dermatologist can just eyeball the things on your arm and assess that they're nothing, because that's happened to me a few times with things I was worried about (pale Irish/English lady here, too). 

That's what I'm hoping, too, that she can just look at them and tell.